Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Kenwood Radio  (Read 4051 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »

I found out from a Kenwood rep at Hamvention that there is indeed a new HF radio coming out and it will be a 950 class rig and be in 5 grand range.  Lots of roofing filters, IF DSP and other goodies. It was supposed to be previewed at Dayton but Japans earthquake interrupted parts supply for it.  It is currently scheduled to be shown at Tokyo in fall. When I told them I was glad to see them get back in the game he smiled and said they never really got out of it. He also told me that 590 has been a big hit and they are currently going into back order at times because of demand.  Kenwood donated five 590's at Dayton for prizes.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:11 PM »

I found out from a Kenwood rep at Hamvention that there is indeed a new HF radio coming out and it will be a 950 class

Well that would be grand, as I am a big fan of the older "competition class"
Kenwood rigs. Though I have yet to put my hands on the 590, I hear it's great.

Nevertheless, I was told the precise same "coming soon" ispiel re a 950
class rig at a "Dealer Reception" thrown years ago for the intro of the TS-2000.
A Kenwood USA exec told me that juicy tidbit.  But but when asked, the Kenwood
Japanese design engineers who had made the trip were either evasive or silent.

I do hope you are right!
73, Ken  AD6KA
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:28:18 AM »

The 850/70 and 950s were/are such grand rigs. I wonder how the performance of a modernised 950 would be?

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »

I do hope you are right!

Well at first the rep deigned it with a somewhat surprised look on his face (like how did I know) but then told me about it when he heard my source. He also told that yet another radio would be coming next year but no info on it. It seems that Kenwood has been very successful in the land mobile radio business last five years or so (surpassing Icom) and where they have been focusing efforts for a while and now they are changing focus to ham radio for a time.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KE7FD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »

I'm going to revive this thread hoping there's interest in what's been said rather than starting a new thread.

Guys, I too heard the same thing at Hamvention 2011 but expected to have seen this new rig by now based on the rep's comments.  So, despite the rumors the Kenwood rep was spreading is there any concrete reason to expect Kenwood is serious about staying a leader in the Amateur HF market?  The TS-590 not withstanding as it's just another baseline radio compared to Yaesu and Icom, is Kenwood even relevant anymore; have they abandoned their spot allowing others to move ahead of them?  Is Flex or Elecraft the new kid in town?
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »

Give them time. Engineering and building a prototype takes time and much testing to get it right. You wouldn`t want a new rig with bugs in it,right? I liked those 900 series rigs,their performance was excellent. The `590s is great too,nothing else in that price range can match it. Last I heard the dealers can`t keep them in stock. Can I place my order for a new `960?    Wink
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »

I heard a rumor of is being called a 970.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »

It`s interesting how many different number combinations are used between Yaecomwood! Maybe someday(when I`m long gone) we`ll have the new TS-10,000s! I guess you never run out of numbers.like you would names.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »

Well they are not likely going to use 990 because their was a FT-990 but 970 has not been used by anyone that I know of. Also since they have already have had a TS 2000 it could be a TS 3000 or something.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »

I did some digging around and it seems that new Kenwood rig is going to be a 990 after all. It appears that it is going to be called the TS-990S. It is due out at Dayton Hamvention in May.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:25:22 PM by W8JX » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: