Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best External Speaker for my Kenwood 590S?  (Read 2743 times)
NN2X

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »

Hi fellow Ham Operators

I am seeking the best external speaker for my Kenwood 590S, I am looking at Palstar SP30H..

Right now, I am using head phones, they do the trick, but I rather use External Speaker that will produce to the same quality

Look forward to all your responses.

Tom, NN2X
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

I have two Radio Shack, Minimus, bookshelf speakers that I have used with my Kenwood TS2000 for years.  Given the DSP capabilities of the TS2000 or the 590S, having a speaker with a tailored response is not really important.  Try what you have around the house - you may be pleasantly surprised!
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »

Another very good premium speaker is the Voice Master Pro sold on eBay. I have one and love it. Check out the reviews in the review section.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180519356359&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »

I have several radio shack speakers and several RCA  speakers whic are the same.  They are 7 inch  metal housings with the mesh screens. 3

they do ok as a  comm speaker, and can be found cheap.  I have also used some smallish old stereo speakers like the 12 inch by 8 inch  by 4 inch  speakers from a cheepo stereo  set.

the key is to use a decent sized ( larger than the 2 incher in the radio) speaker and point it  towards your ears.  

a set of headdphones  is also good, ( also called cans)  but use what you prefer.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:20:21 PM »

First off alot of the so-called "communications" speakers that you see, cheap, sound thin and tinny.  One very compact speaker that I have found to be excellent for comms is the old Radio Shack Minimus 0.3.  It does a great job if you are tight for space but still want a well rounded voice audio.  I also have purchased several of the old Yaesu SP-101 speakers.  And the version with the phone patch, too.  They are seeming to be more efficient than alot of radio speakers and make the most of the few watts that transceivers may supply.  I got one that was very nice, and I pair it with either the FT-101 or the FR-101 receiver.  Then I got one that was ate up for paint finish.  Painted it textured black and paired it with my Ten Tec rig.  Produces great audio with the TT. Enough low end response with good clarity. Dont be afraid to experiment, or even build your own, if you are handy.  Of course you can always buy the factory matching speaker if you have money to burn. Use whatever really sounds good unless it is simply too ugly to live with or a poor fit on the table.   Or try one of the easy to find cheap, computer speakers, passive, without an amp.  Some of those look odd, but sound very good on HF rigs. I have used an oddly shaped tall computer speaker that could be had for a song, but produced very nice voice.  I passed it along to another ham.   
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:24:27 PM »

I bought a Palstar SP-30H at the Dayton Hamvention and love it. It's the best speaker for SSB and CW that I've used. I'm using it with my Kenwood TS-590 and Icom Pro 3 and it sounds great. Nice big wooden enclosure, attractive and sounds wonderful. Highly recommended.

73, N4KZ
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »

IMO, the best speaker...ever made... for amateur communications reception is the Kenwood SP-930 or SP-940.  Both the same, except for paint color.  They have selectable internal high and low filters and ported construction.  The sound is great.  You can plug in phones on their fronts as well if used with a radio without a phones jack on the front panel.  They also have dual inputs, so you can press a button on the front panel and select from two radio inputs.

You can find them on eBay, but not cheap.  Between $50 and $100 each.  I use one on my TS-940 and another with IC-703 and 2M radio.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »

I have two Radio Shack, Minimus, bookshelf speakers that I have used with my Kenwood TS2000 for years.  Given the DSP capabilities of the TS2000 or the 590S, having a speaker with a tailored response is not really important.  Try what you have around the house - you may be pleasantly surprised!

I agree.  Find a two-way (or 3-way) loudspeaker with a 5" or larger driver, in a wood cabinet.  It won't distort, and won't sound "tinny".  If you don't like the sound, fix it with the TS-590S "receive EQ".

I was tempted to suggest this:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.75773.0.0.0/15/_/Klipschorn_Floorstanding_Speaker

but decided it would be overkill.<g>

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: