About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1KDA  (Read 680 times)
N5YPJ

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »

After learning that Val Verde County and DL99 grid where sort of rare for contests and QSLs, I decided to put Val Verde County on the air for the benefit of those who needed a contact and a paper QSL card from here. I have also given thought to putting DL89 on the air on six meters if possible. I am not into paper cards at all due to the extra expenses of printing cards - I am disabled and live on a small fixed income. I worked W1KDA in the TX QSO Party and upon receipt of his card I returned him one of mine confirming Val Verde County for him. When I ask him to please eQSL a contact for me because I need Rhode Island to get eWAS I get this reply from him -

Richard,

In order for me to reply to your e-qsl I would have to go in and set up an account - I'm just not willing to do that - sorry OM.

Ron
W1KDA

If this is the attitude I'm going to find amongst contesters then I'm sure having second thoughts about confirming with any more paper cards at all.

Richard
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »

I don't understand your complaint.

The guy sent you a QSL. And you are asking him to send you another one, and take the time to set up an account at some website that he will never use again. I think that most people would tell you the same thing.

I think that you are being unreasonable.
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:24:16 AM »

N5YPJ,

Since I am also not a user of eQSL, I don't know whether eQSL will not accept evidence of hard copy QSLs or if you are simply too lazy to go through the process, but neither is W1KDA's fault and it seems really petty of you to publicly berate him for it.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:46:52 AM »

W4YA, I sent W1KDA an eQSL at the end of the QSO and then he is the one who asked me to send him another one. I complied with his request so I am not sure why he can't comply with mine. Scratch my itch and I'll scratch yours - I have absolutely no use for a paper card nor do I buy them. To give him his beloved paper card I had to take  time to set up a computer program, load the printer with card stock, print a card, cut it out, go to the post office since there is no mail delivery where I live, stand in line for a stamp. Now who spent more time doing what? I think that people who only look at their own needs are unreasonable.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:26 AM »

AB7E, what makes you think that paper cards are the only accepted confirmation media? Ever think that maybe eQSL users who run across people who don't use eQSL view them as being too lazy and technically incompetent to sign up for an account. I find paper cards to be a waste of natural resources and my time but I still go through the motions to get them out. Try to see beyond the tip of your nose AB7E others have feelings and desires too.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

"1. The eWAS award has been established to provide an incentive to Amateur Radio operators to use eQSL.cc as their method of QSLing."

Seems pretty simple. If you choose to go for an award that is specifically limited to special conditions of any sort, you only get to use contacts that meet that condition. Here, it happens to be limited to contacts with eQSL users or willing to become one. Apparently that wasn't one of them.

I can kind of understand someone who doesn't sign on to eQSL casually. Not being a user, I looked at the site with that perspective. As someone new to it, I might well have some reservations about something I didn't intend to use much at all. Still, I personally would likely accommodate another Ham who needed an eQSL confirmation. I sympathize with what eQSL has to do to make the confirmations credible. But I would by no means expect anyone to do it on request, if they have no interest in the system, any more than I would be upset if someone told me it was logistically difficult to generate and mail a card or they just didn't QSL. You see, it's just Ham Radio. I think I'll turn the back of my QSL card (paper) into a sign that could be posted in the shack:

"IT'S NO BIG DEAL!
IT'S JUST HAM RADIO."

Folks ought to save getting upset, even at fools and the rude, for things that matter and that they can do something about.
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »

N5YPG:  "AB7E, what makes you think that paper cards are the only accepted confirmation media?"

I never said that paper cards are the only accepted confirmation media, and in fact I now try to use LoTW for most of my QSL'ing.  I criticized eQSL for not allowing you to claim credit for paper QSLs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: