Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day time UTC?  (Read 3182 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »

I forgot which time they use since it is NA. Do you set the logger for UTC or local? I seem to remember local time, because the event ends when your clock reads 2pm. Most of my Field Day time is assisting, with little logging. I am trying to change that this year.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »

3. Field Day is always the fourth full weekend of June, beginning at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday. Field Day 2011 will be held June 25-26, 2011.

What you are thinking of is the "24 consecutive hours for stations that start setting up before 1800 UTC" rule:

3.2. Stations who begin setting up before 1800 UTC Saturday may work only 24 consecutive hours,
commencing when on-the-air operations begin

which could very well end up in your time zone (EDT) at 2PM.

If you really wanted to catch your club up with the 21st century, convert the log to ADI and TQ8 and then submit it to LOTW (with your club's call account of course). Very very few clubs are hip enough to make these steps. If you do this, you certainly want to log in UTC.

Technically yes, back when the FCC required a station logbook, you were allowed to keep your log in local time. You don't generally send in the full log with field day submission - I think the ARRL has long ago recognized that many clubs operating activities aren't actually that good at paperwork and computer files and stuff like that.

Some things in ham radio that are scheduled by local time, are things like ARRL code practice and bulletins and some (but not all) nets.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »

You should always log in UTC -- for any purpose.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:29:18 AM »

UTC.

All ARRL actually requires for the submission is a list of stations worked per band/mode. However, they reserve the right to ask for logs. IOW, when you submit the list of stations per band/mode, you agree to send full logs if they ask for them.

The FD period is 27 hours long.

If you do any setup before 1800 UTC Saturday, you can work 24 consecutive hours from the time the first FD transmitter goes on the air. Usually this means 1800 UTC Saturday to 1800 UTC Sunday, but if you get a late start it, the finish time moves too.

If you don't do any setup before 1800 UTC Saturday, you can work the full 27 hours.

Most folks set up in advance because 1) they take many hours to set up and 2) the activity drops off sharply after 1800 UTC Sunday.

btw, setup cannot begin before 1800 UTC Friday.

73 de Jim, N2EY

every FD since 1967
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »

Most folks set up in advance because 1) they take many hours to set up and 2) the activity drops off sharply after 1800 UTC Sunday.

and 3) it's too flipping hot to start setting up at the Field Day start time. Better to start early in the AM.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »

it's too flipping hot to start setting up at the Field Day start time. Better to start early in the AM.

Hell yeah!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: