Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkansas QSO Party  (Read 10891 times)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 09:05:45 AM »

My plans right now are to work my way east along the AR/MO border for half a day, then drop down one county and work back west.
73, Mark AD5WI

Mark, if you take that route, I'll probably start at Texarkana and work the West side and turn right to work counties North of I-30 and I-40 over toward Memphis. It depends largely on whether I get a driver or if I have to stop and operate in each county.

Open question to anyone who knows:

Besides promotion, defining the rules, judging the scores and announcing or awarding the winners, what else is required minimally for a QSOP? Other than participants, I mean!

It seems to me that evaluting the logs and judging scores is the most critical task. Without those, there is no QP. It's just a bunch of QSOs, right?

It's hard for me to understand why State and Mobile QSOP seems to be such an arcane niche.

Sure, it takes an enormous amount of preparation and problem solving to build a moveable contest station, and there can be some frustration in that technical effort, but it is still a lot of fun. For me it is like a road trip for the sake of a road trip combined with a contest.

NO5W and crew did some really cool stuff in OKQP this year (aside from a whopping score, that is.) They had set up APRS and some kinda google map kml thingy so that anyone with internet could watch them on the map in real time as they drove the planned route. They also had live streaming video from the vehicle as they drove the route. Chuck has a funny story about an exchange during the contest after they needed to avoid snowbound roads. It may be on the contesting soapbox.

And guys like Scott W5ESE have found a really cool niche by backpacking to the middle of nowhere in the Texas desert mountains and setting up wire antennas to do the contest QRP. How cool is that? Very few things get much better than a weekend like that.

Heck, even for those not who are proficient or competitive contesters (like me for example,) it is still a huge blast.

I guess it's something you have to try before you realize how much fun it is. Glad I did.

W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »

Open question to anyone who knows:

Besides promotion, defining the rules, judging the scores and announcing or awarding the winners, what else is required minimally for a QSOP? Other than participants, I mean!

It seems to me that evaluting the logs and judging scores is the most critical task. Without those, there is no QP. It's just a bunch of QSOs, right?

I think fundraising or soliciting award sponsors can require a lot of effort.

And if the sponsor does full log adjudication (checking every entry in
every log, like NO5W does for TQP), that can require a lot of effort.
NARS even types in all the TQP paper logs.

I think some of the smaller state QSO parties don't do full log checking,
but it's becoming more common.

It's hard for me to understand why State and Mobile QSOP seems to be such an arcane niche.

Sure, it takes an enormous amount of preparation and problem solving to build a moveable contest station, and there can be some frustration in that technical effort, but it is still a lot of fun. For me it is like a road trip for the sake of a road trip combined with a contest.

Got to agree with you on that.

I tried to drum up interest in TQP among some in the Austin area, but
found it to be tough. I'm unsure if I persuaded even one other op to get
on the air.

More than a few folks are interested in VHF/FM and Public Service only.

Others aren't interested unless there's a lot of DX to be worked.

For some, the limitations of their station mean that it may be difficult
to complete many contacts. My own home station is quite modest,
and only the fact that I'm "mostly morse" enables me to complete as
many contacts as I do.

State QSO parties even seem to appeal only to a few of the "big
time" contesters. There are several big contest stations in central
Texas, but few of them do TQP.

What fraction of NARS members do TQP?

And guys like Scott W5ESE have found a really cool niche by backpacking to the middle of nowhere in the Texas desert mountains and setting up wire antennas to do the contest QRP. How cool is that? Very few things get much better than a weekend like that.

Thanks, I'm glad that the style in which I participated in TQP appeals to
you, too. I sure have enjoyed it.

I've tried to encourage other QRP ops to participate in state QSO parties
that way by writing up a little puff piece about my adventures for the QRP
Quarterly. It made it into the Spring issue this year.

Hope to hear you in the TQP 2010!

Scott W5ESE
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 12:00:19 PM »

I tried to drum up interest in TQP among some in the Austin area, but found it to be tough. I'm unsure if I persuaded even one other op to get on the air.

Same out here in WTX.  I tried to get some interest last year with a presentation to our club but no one in my club entered except for me.  We have several HF mobile ops I thought might give it a try.

BTW - Congratulations on winning First Place, Outside New Mexico, Single Operator in the NMQP!

73,  Alan  N5NA
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »

My plans right now are to work my way east along the AR/MO border for half a day, then drop down one county and work back west.
73, Mark AD5WI

Mark, if you take that route, I'll probably start at Texarkana and work the West side and turn right to work counties North of I-30 and I-40 over toward Memphis. It depends largely on whether I get a driver or if I have to stop and operate in each county.

Well, it looks like I have successfully bribed the XYL into driving for me in AR QSOP this year.
Now I really hope they have the contest, or my bribe will have been for naught.

Still working on getting a TQP 2010 driver. We may have to remodel the kitchen to make that happen.

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 02:01:54 PM »

What fraction of NARS members do TQP?

Quite a few, although I don't have a percentage. Chuck would have the exact number.

Hope to hear you in the TQP 2010!

Scott W5ESE

Likewise!

Last year I was limited to 20 meters so I made few near contacts and zero in Texas. Had exchanges with Europe, but none in Texas. Weird how that works. Also had some technical problems with PC interfacing and only operated a fraction of the time.

This year I have a much better mobile antenna and may have found the gremlins. Now if I could only improve my skills. :-)

Larry K5END
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »

BTW - Congratulations on winning First Place, Outside New Mexico, Single Operator in the NMQP!

73,  Alan  N5NA

Thanks, Alan; I owe a great many of my contacts in that contest to you.
Over 1/3 of them; in fact!

I was running QRP, and am still amazed that you could hear me while mobile in
Rio Arriba County (N of Santa Fe), on 80m! That must have been near-ESP!

I hoped to work you in TxQP when you were in CULB, but I was probably on
20m at the time.

Scott W5ESE
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 02:41:20 AM »

I have enjoyed QSO Parties since the 70's.  PA, GA, and FL are my favorites and I've operated mobile QRP in the GA and FL Parties. 

I think the states with less hams should consider Regional QSO Parties with similar rules to increase participation.

Jim N3AWS
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »

ARKAN has posted a summary of the 2010 rules on their website.  Looks like a few changes.

For one, there are no multipliers.  The score is just the sum of the QSO points.  I don't think I've ever seen any QSO party rules in which the counties aren't multipliers.  Pretty strange.
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »

I have enjoyed QSO Parties since the 70's.  PA, GA, and FL are my favorites and I've operated mobile QRP in the GA and FL Parties. 

I think the states with less hams should consider Regional QSO Parties with similar rules to increase participation.

Jim N3AWS

Maybe Arkansas and Missouri could be the same weekend. They have similar beam pointings, and MO is popular. That could help Arkansas get some activity from the searching side. Just my 2 cents.
AD5WI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 05:08:40 AM »

I agree with N5NA, strange changes to the rules. I'll be nice and say maybe they are still working on the rules and will be updated by Sept.

73, Mark
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: