Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest Toxicity - 40M SSB QRM in the CW band  (Read 1069 times)
N4UM

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »

During this weekend's CQWW DX phone contest participants managed to occupy the entire 40 meter CW band down to about 7020.  For example, P40A sat on 7027 for a number of hours with a monsterous signal that wiped out a substantial portion of the band.  He was no exception.  I heard other contesters as low as 7020.

As a recovering contester I was once again reminded of why I abandoned this toxic aspect of the hobby 20 years ago.  The lack of consideration, rudeness and selfishness of a significant percentage of the contesting community has only gotten worse since I took the headphones off at about 3 AM one morning 20 years ago and walked away from it.

Some of my best friends are still contesters but I find it increasingly difficult to understand why.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »

Congrats to all the contesters who brought LIFE to the otherwise moribund 10 and 15 meters.

I see that the P33W group of seven Russian ops made 3,200 Qs on 15 meters and more than 1,000 on ten meters (115 countries).

BTW, there's nothing illegal about operating phone all the way down to 7.000 in most countries, though voluntary band plans sometimes recommend against such operation. Personally I heard no DX phone below about 7030. And since you gave up contesting 20 years ago, the WARC bands (and 60 meters) have become available.

Generally, we need more activity not less.
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »

I contest--it's my favorite ham radio activity.  And I certainly wish I had a license while stationed here in South Korea (but I digress...).  

There is rudeness on both sides of the contesting issue.  I have been intentionally QRM'd despite asking repeatedly if the freq was in use before CQing in a vhf contest on a 2 meter simplex freq using an HT & minimal antenna.  That I can deal with.  But the QRM was obscene and I had my 9 yr old daughter and her friend there to introduce them to ham radio.  I would GLADLY have QSY'd if asked--but the local lids (with no call signs) just started with the profanity--no warnig--and both YL's heard it all.  All interest in ham radio for them went down the drain at that moment...

That said, I agree, we contesters need to be connizant of band plans, gentleman's agreements, etc and not QRM others in pursuit of some (let's call it what it really is) valueless wall paper.  The excuse of WARC bands does not absolve us of also being considerate operators.

May I humbly suggest both sides read the Amateur Radio Operator's Code?  If we lose our bands over silly (and this really is) squables, well there are plenty of others waiting to take them over.

Just my opinion.  

Jim N3AWS
Kunsan AFB, ROK
The Land of the Morning Calm
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »

"As a recovering contester I was once again reminded of why I abandoned this toxic aspect of the hobby 20 years ago. The lack of consideration, rudeness and selfishness of a significant percentage of the contesting community has only gotten worse since I took the headphones off at about 3 AM one morning 20 years ago and walked away from it."

Two words...

GOOD RIDDANCE !
W3ML

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »

What I could not believe was the number of US hams that operated below the band edge.  If they have an extra license they should know that 7090 is not in the phone band.

John
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »

"Operating below the band edge"

You mean they <<<accidentally>>> hit the wrong VFO for a few seconds. That's what happens when multi-op stations invite newbies to participate. (and a'int that wonderful!)

A more legitimate gripe would be with Americans who transmit on LSB less than 2 kHz above the 7125 edge. They should know better.

OTOH, you hear wonderful examples of skillful operating and courtesy. I think I only heard one or two stations preface their exchange with the damnable "please copy" and only one used "niner" for the perfectly good word "nine."

===================================================
Isn't it also nice to hear hams who can enunciate  crystal clear standard English?    
====================================================
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:04:33 PM »

I found this CQWW to be quite difficult for me this year partially due to the fact I don't and can't run the same antenna farm I have in the past. Running 100 watts doesn't help either along with current propagation.

What I did find was less phone activity between 7.000. and 7.080. which was kind of nice, but seemingly not nice enough. I thought about it and thought it would be nice if operators would keep clear at least between 7.000. and 7.080. As a CW operator and rarely a PSK/RTTY operator I would find it frustrating as a general to be invaded on the only small spectrum rare DX is willing to operate in.

Usually guys 13-30 WPM that are general operate 7.025 - 7.030 looking for the OY,JA,VP6 and Victor
Kilo's like to work split. The 5 - 13 WPM guys hang between 7.030 - 7.060. PSK 7.070 and RTTY around 7.080. So i see where the author is going with this.

Then again the CQWW is only 48 hrs. and doesn't come around but a few times a year. No harm right?

Big debates that is starting to frustrate me when you have the every day annoying NETS that are just as rude and think they own the air waves and frequencies every day of the week.

When does this all stop?

NCO's and others say the bands are dead below 17 meters until the contest prove their not. We made it quite useful so why cant other operators?

There's no such thing as a dead band, but only an inactive one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: