Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest in starting an Amateur Radio Motor Cycle Club  (Read 14951 times)
N3JBH

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »

Would there be any one interested in joining a ham radio operator’s motorcycle club?
I had the thought of combining these two great hobbies in to one group. It will not have yearly dues or nothing like that. It also is just another way hams that ride can find each other and enjoy riding. An only requirement is you ride a motorcycle and have a valid amateur’s license. There be a onetime fee is all and this get you a membership certificate and patches (colors) the top rocker would have Hamster’s and another patch that say MC.

The first 160 members would also get a TOP BAND patch to signify they was the original first 160 members. 
Membership would be world wide sense we would all enjoy this. Local ham clubs might want to offer chapters or maybe you make your own. If you’re interested in this and would like to see this take off.

email me at ( THEhamstermc@Yahoo.com  )
Many thanks and you’re comments are most welcomed. Jeff
W3FLH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »

Jeff,

"Hamsters" is already being used by a custom-bike riders & builders club.  Members include some very high-visibility motorcycle enthusiasts (Arlen Ness, Dave Perowitz, etc.).  Anyway, point is that the name association is well established by now.

The other thing you may want to keep in mind, once you start wearing colors, you invite a certain image, and most "civilians" won't take the time to read 'em to figure it all out.  I personally choose not to wear them.

OK, all that being said, it would be cool to meet some other ham/riders, I know I'm the only one in my crew!  Good luck with the initiative, I hope it works out.

de Tony, W3FLH

AB8S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »

I like the idea of having a group of ham/motorcyclists. I would be interested in pursuing the idea.
Before you begin designing three piece patches and adding MC to a vest or other apparel please look over the information at the following link.
http://rcvsmc.net/index.html
The information on their website provides some of the guidance you need to navigate the sometimes tricky waters of starting a MC or RC with the proper respect toward existing organizations. Wearing a three piece patch is serious business.
All that being said I would consider adding a minor patch to my existing vest. I've commited to one backpatch so I wouldn't be interested in earning colors in another organization.
Good luck!
G.E.Hodges
AB8S
Would there be any one interested in joining a ham radio operator’s motorcycle club?
I had the thought of combining these two great hobbies in to one group. It will not have yearly dues or nothing like that. It also is just another way hams that ride can find each other and enjoy riding. An only requirement is you ride a motorcycle and have a valid amateur’s license. There be a onetime fee is all and this get you a membership certificate and patches (colors) the top rocker would have Hamster’s and another patch that say MC.

The first 160 members would also get a TOP BAND patch to signify they was the original first 160 members.  
Membership would be world wide sense we would all enjoy this. Local ham clubs might want to offer chapters or maybe you make your own. If you’re interested in this and would like to see this take off.

email me at ( THEhamstermc@Yahoo.com  )
Many thanks and you’re comments are most welcomed. Jeff

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:29:37 PM by AB8S » Logged
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:54:05 AM »

"I like the idea of having a group of ham/motorcyclists. I would be interested in pursuing the idea.
Before you begin designing three piece patches and adding MC to a vest or other apparel please look over the information at the following link.
http://rcvsmc.net/index.html
The information on their website provides some of the guidance you need to navigate the sometimes tricky waters of starting a MC or RC with the proper respect toward existing organizations. Wearing a three piece patch is serious business.
All that being said I would consider adding a minor patch to my existing vest. I've commited to one backpatch so I wouldn't be interested in earning colors in another organization.
Good luck!G.E.HodgesAB8S"

Thank's G.E. Yes i am aware of the colors issue living between to well known 1%,er clubs and knowing some members in each ( i am not a member) I know the the way they do intimidate others. My goal was not to be any thing like this at all. And not to portray any colors if you will like a serious MC/1% club. Rather more like the legion riders or HOG. ( i do belong there) While i see now that name is used i be happy for suggestions? My thoughts was top rocker have name? center patch have logo to clearly show what we do both radio and bike. And if there was to be a bottom rocker it have to be the name of the sponsoring ARC. Not terriorty or anything such as that.

The goal is and would always be to have fun an always be kind and considerate,  And fellowship of folks through the combined hobby. We never portray any other image. Being used to the other club's and there function's to a point i can tell you if they see where not trying in any form to compete with them in any fashion they leave you alone.  Matter fact the clubs i have discussed have attended events together at times through invitation and have had quite good fun.

How ever i be personally open to the whole idea of making any changes the folks would like. Including by all means not even having a patch. The idea i had was purely for entertainment of us. And try to get some sorts of a organized event's and rides together. Even thought of simply posting a club page on www.bikerornot.com web site where we could just use this site for al are information sharing. so what do you say should we pursue this and get it going?
Need more input. Jeff N3JBH (Jeff's Big Harley)
K9ZF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »

Well, I'm a ham... And I ride...  But I'm not sure the two go together very well.  Unless you ride an Ultra Classic or a Gold Wing, maybe:-)

But, you have my attention.   I may be interested in a ride, or maybe a small patch.  But I'm not interested in displaying colors or anything along that line.

Good luck,

Dan K9ZF
(1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C)
--
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>   List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »

Being a biker myself I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately I too am committed to a patch and it isn't your good boys club oddly. Who said bikers weren't intellectuals?

Anyway! Go for it and wish you lots of luck. If I see your club riding down the road I'd tip my helmet to ya.

73!
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »

http://marc-hq.org/
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »

Hi Jeff, I put 2M on my GoldWing in 1980 while I was the North Carolina Rep for the Original Gold Wing Owners Assoc out of Oregon. It died when the President passed away, but was international in scope and lasted from 1976 until 1980/1981. I joined while I was in Heidelberg Germany in 1976. There is a VERY SMALL group of M/C riding Hams I know of on 40M. The schedule escapes me now. I QSO'd with them a couple times but moved on. I hesitate to join anymore Clubs with colors. I'm a Viet Nam Vet from 1966-67, and have been a member with three groups but was not happy and let the memberships expire. I WOULD be interested in a Call Sign list of "Hams That Ride". That way I could send them an email if riding through their area. And would not mind a "small shoulder patch". Let me know if this gets rolling, thank you for the effort so far.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »

Kinda pooped out, But hey that cool. Some the folks was worried about the patch thing it was not a big deal i really did not care about that ... It was not like we going be 1%er ham guys.  N2RRA stated some thing i found actually interesting,  Yes Eric i understand that commitment my brother enough on that. So any how that is pretty much it in a nutt shell. I do find some rides on WWW.bikeornot.com good site for stuff.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:57 AM »

I think the concern about "colors" and patches is blown out of proportion.  I rode with the GoldWing Touring Association for several years in the 1980's and we all wore patches.  We never had any issue from anyone about them...

There are  hundreds, if not thousands, of motorcycle clubs that wear patches that are not associated with the 1% clubs and they get along fine.  I think if someone wants to start another club of motorcycle riding hams, then they should go ahead and I wish them the best of luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: