Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Developing Logging Software  (Read 530 times)
KI4JGT

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »

I'm developing logging software to sell for our local club. (and %50 goes to me as well) My only problem is that I don't know where in the world to even begin to get it patented. One of the club members told me I should so that no one else could steal it, does anyone have any ideas?
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:53 AM »

Getting patents on anything in a contest logger should be very difficult because you'll almost certainly find a previous implementation of the same functionality. That constitutes "prior art" and can be used to invalidate a patent that claims exactly this functionality, at a later date.

And authors of contest logging software have been more than creative over the last 20 odd years to write incredibly versatile programs. Little chance to find anything that is patentable.

Apart from patents, there are other means of protection, though. You can claim the copyright on a piece of software (in some countries the claim needs to be explicit, in others it's implicit) which gives you or anyone you authorize the exclusive right to use this software.

There are many models in software licensing; this article may give you a little overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license

Finally, with the multitude of free and excellent contest logging software available, it'd be _very_ difficult to get a foot on the ground in the market for contesting software. There _are_ a few established products which require a paid license, but they are usually extremely advanced and mature products (like Win-Test), in which many thousand of man-hours of work have been put.

Something that works very well in my experience (especially for a project that was established for the benefit of a club) is a model where the users can voluntarily donate if they like the software.

Good luck with your project..

Fabian, DJ1YFK

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »

This is in the category of intellectual property.

Most software is protected by copyright, not patent(s.)

Copyright protects an expression or an expression of an idea recorded onto a fixed medium.

A patent protects a process, invention or idea.

Will stop there before this becomes legal advice.

Not a practicing lawyer. Use at your own risk.
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »

Before you spend a lot of time on this, exactly what would your software do that would make anyone want to spend money on it instead of just using one of the several very good (some even excellent) free loggers already out there?

If you don't know that software isn't patented, I think you may be less prepared for this than you think.

Dave   AB7E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: