Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What if we...  (Read 840 times)
N5LRZ

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »

What IF those who organize and sponsor the big international contests decided to state in their rules of engagement that the contest would be operated on one single amateur band in the day and a single different band in the night.  

It would be an interesting thing to see Field Day restricted to say hmmmmm just on 15 meters for example during the day and 40 meters during the PM.

NOW I know its never gonna happen so dont take off by saying the obvious.  

I know that the minor contests use this format and it works OK for them--being small and such.

But would the principle of a very limited frequency range work for a major contest?  Yes/No your thoughts?
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:33:18 AM »

> What IF those who organize and sponsor the
> big international contests decided to state
> in their rules of engagement that the contest
> would be operated on one single amateur band
> in the day and a single different band in the
> night.

> It would be an interesting thing to see Field
> Day restricted to say hmmmmm just on 15 meters
> for example during the day and 40 meters during
> the PM.

I wouldn't categorize Field Day as a "big
international contest"; FD entrants are
almost exclusively from the USA and Canada,
and entries are accepted only from stations
in IARU Region 2 (the Americas).

40 meters is just too small to accommodate
all the overnight activity in any sizable
contest, including Field Day.

Even late at night during Field Day, there's
often a significant amount of 20m activity, and
the 500 KHz of 80 meters helps keep the activity
a little spread out. And activity on 6 and 2
meters gives the VHF enthusiasts in clubs an
opportunity to contribute to Field Day efforts.

And for the truly large, international contests
(CQ WW DX, ARRL International DX, etc), how
would you define "overnight"? It's always daylight
somewhere, and always night somewhere.

For some of the ARRL contests, they have "single
band" entry categories, so if anyone wants to,
they can participate in some of their contests
just operating on a single band.

And in December, they have two really great
single band contests; the ARRL 160m and 10m
contests. These occur on consecutive weekends,
and provide a great contrast to those who
participate in both.

So I don't think it's a good idea at all to
restrict the major contests to two bands.

Scott
W5ESE
WZ9O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 04:02:18 AM »

What would make the most since is to put all nets between 3.95 – 4.00MHz.

That way they could spend their time jamming each other instead of jamming the DX.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:00:23 AM »

My first thoughts to your question was "This is just ludacrous".

As the other gentleman stated Field Day is not a major contest, and I remember when it wasn't even considered a contest. What ever happened to that I'm not sure, but it seems that it has increased the amount of people participating over the years which is a great thing. He also stated which is quite true that most of the major contest have a ruling or entry for single band or mode. If you look at the entries you'll see many choose single band. This makes up for making more room which they thought of.

There are also QRP entries where I participated in with 5 watts or less and placed 2nd in the country and 7th in the world for most contacts in a WPX contest which is a major contest. This allowed I would think more breathing room being I would have been bombarded by Low/High power contester's and NET users.

I think I know where your going with this, and the problem really is not in the contests or contester's, but with stubborn people who, and I love to use this phrase "never pull their car out of the drive way"! Why don't the casual rag chew groups or nets try a WARC band? Please, don't hand me the bull they don't have WARC capability, because everyone today has it. How about take a break from their 7 day a week all day operations on off day major contests and go barbaque and get some fresh air?

Give me a good reason why if these folks have the 20 meter band for example 7 days a weeks the entire time the band is open like the Maritime Mobile NET or some other NETs that stay on for up to 4 hours for 3 months before a major contest can't move opearations to 17 meters? Better yet just take a 24 hour or 48 hour break! Is that really that impossible? Do these people really need to monopolize the air time all 365 days a year 24/7, because that's exactly what NETS are doing?

I think Contest are fine where they are and would be no problem if people had common sense and good reasoning to say, "Ok, guess I could try something else out for 24 hours and things will be back to normal after it's over".

73!
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »

Field day scoring has been around since the earliest QST's I own (1933). I think the sweepstakes preceded it although maybe they both got started as official ARRL events in 1929, 1930? I think it was in the 50's that the  many different classes and multipliers and bonuses for field day got similar in complexity to the way it is today, I think it originally was just QSO's times sections. Incidentally, the biggest club with the highest score in 1933 had a grand total of 98 QSO's!

I think it should be taken as a given that there are different kinds of contests. WPX is not the SS is not the NAQP is not a state QSO party is not FD.

Even with state QSO parties there are vastly different rules and organizations; some are designed to maximize things for county hunters, others are there to keep score, most (thank god) are there just to get some activity.

And there are different groups of participants in each of the above, each has some who are in the "if I don't win I'm gonna be really pissed off" mindset, the vast vast majority are there to have fun with some QSO's.
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:31:27 AM »

>>>
NOW I know its never gonna happen so dont take off by saying the obvious.

I know that the minor contests use this format and it works OK for them--being small and such.

But would the principle of a very limited frequency range work for a major contest? Yes/No your thoughts?<<<

Which contest uses this format?Huh
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »

Why would any contest sponsor do this?  Why would any participant be drawn to it?  What is more "interesting" about it for the competitors?  Especially for an international contest, where your proposal would conflict with propagation much of the time.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 02:07:11 PM »

What IF worms had machine guns?
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 07:44:55 PM »

Then the Early Bird would be very surprised.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »

You have too much free time to think of silly stuff like this..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: