Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM microphones  (Read 827 times)
KB3RPM

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:06:43 AM »

I have the Icom IC-718 HF rig. The handheld mic that came with it functions, but via on air reports, just barely. It also does NOT comfortably fit my hand. It's a bit tiny. There is a plethora of desk mics available from Icom and others for my radio. I'm more a hand mic kinda guy. Ended up with a Heil iCM which from all accounts is THEE mic for this radio. But I can't get used to feeling like a gameshow host.

Why has Icom abandoned us hand mic afficianados? Is the whole world of ham radio turning to desk mics?  I have an old Shure 104 which feels GREAT in the hand. Had it properly wired and an internal doo-hickey attached. Looks great, feels great, on-air reports are that it's "raspy"

Any ideas on what others I can try?
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »

If you want something that you can hand-hold like a performer's mike, and will sound much better than that mike that came with the radio, get yourself the Heil HM12...it has the 5.1 element and only costs about $70.  When I use my 718 I use the Heil HM10-5 mike.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »

I used a Heil iCM mic with my Icom 718 and Icom 7000. No bad audio reports from that mic.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »

I like hand mics too. I owned that transceiver a few years back and found that there was a little white felt wad in front of the Mic element stuffing up the audio. I found the audio improved a lot after I removed it.  I seem to remember it was about as big as an aspirin.  You might try it, would be cheaper than another Mic.  Cheers.  Scott

N9IAG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:13:16 PM »

First of all the stock microphones aren't very good.  Compared to a quality heil they are junk.  The "Icom" microphone you purchased isn't really the best choice for that radio, its designed for older Icom radios, so you may need to tweak some settings to optimize it.

Don't feel weird about using a high quality microphone, you don't about using quality coax.

If you want a good comparison for junk stock microphones go to Dayton and see Bob at his booth.  Its shocking how bad the stock mikes are.

Get a shock mount on a boom, or a desk mount.  That way it doesn't feel like your doing a presentation in front of an audience.  We are professionals, not the money part but the quality part, so why not use a professional microphone setup like the pros do as well?  You want to sound good.  The Heil microphones make a huge difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: