Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal & Ebay Standards  (Read 1370 times)
9H1FQ

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:15 AM »

I have recently noticed that when making orders by Paypal, the amount of postage paid is never printed on the received parcel/packet !!
This is a  cause of concern, because a seller can abuse and charge any amount for shipping.
I am from Malta, Europe, and the variations in postage paid by sellers in US, for the same kind of packet/parcel/carton is remarkable. Have a look at Ebay ! Some, if not all sellers of small, almost wietghless components charge astronomically high shipping charges.
I have filed a complaint to Paypal, and they say that it is their standard procedure, not to print shipping charges on parcels/packets/cartons !!!!!!

An unknown gem of the Mediterranean sea is the Island of Malta. blessed with warm sun , all year round.
In just one day, you can see places which will make you travel in history from the Prehistoric temples throu the middle ages, the Knights of Malta, all the way to world war two. All the major civ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »

There is a simple answer.  If the shipping charges seem to be too high (remember that some dealers charge for packing too) then simply don't order from them.  You can find most of what you want at reasonable shipping charge rates.

All too often the sellers charge ridiculously low selling prices--but their shipping charges are astronomical.  Say $1 for a part that normally would cost around $10, but a $15 shipping charge where the part can easily be shipped for a couple of dollars.  E-bay wants to know about those people, and they invite reports on them.  There have been a few where E-bay has pulled the auctions just for that reason. 
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »

That will not happen soon as EBay is going to charge a final value fee on the sale price including shipping charge. If a seller charges $1.00 for an item and $50.00 for shipping. The seller will be paying a final sale fee on a total of $51.00. The old way he would have only paid a fee on the $1.00 sale price. Next shipping an item out of the country (US) is not cheep for a seller. He needs to normally increase the packing for a long trip. This might include extra packing material and double boxing. Check some time for the price of boxes and bubble wrap material. Then there is the paperwork required for overseas customs and US customs, all time consuming. Like the man said if you find the shipping charge to high do not bid on the item. PayPal (who I try my best not to use) keeps the actual shipping charge off the postage just for the reason you stated, because it does not included handling packing and even the gas used to take the item to the Post Office to mail. I buy and sell on EBay and bid only on what I see as a good value with shipping included in my bid price.

73s
K2OWK
N5KAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »

At least for domestic shipments, the shipper can choose whether or not to show postage paid on the label for paypal mailings.

I thought that overseas postage cost was always shown on paypal mail, but maybe I am wrong. Some countries charge duty on item cost PLUS shipping so it it often required to be displayed.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »

Marking up the shipping costs is a way for sellers to tack on a small extra margin of profit. They don't want you to know how much they're marking it up. This practice is patently unfair, but even if you disagree with it, there's nothing you can do. If you complain to eBay and PayPal, they'll cause you grief. I had a valid complaint against someone who bid on an item of mine and failed to pay, so filed a negative feedback. The buyer complained to eBay and had ME thrown off eBay! This buyer even physically threatened my family through e-mail, and a police report wouldn't get eBay to re-instate my account! Their reason? Because I filed complaints about this person all over the internet using their real name and address... you would think that eBay would want everyone to know about a person like this! eBay is -NOT- a fair-play company to deal with.

73, -WY3X
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »

Unfortunately, eBay mandates proof of delivery which is expensive.

I occasionally buy and sell small 9 pin tubes and gave up listing that I will mail items outside of USA, simply because I didn't want to hear from a potential buyer that they wanted me to mail the items a less expensive way.

Bob
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »

hi,

The new ebay final fee policy will help stop most of the rip-ship.

I ship USPS Priority Mail most of the time  unless the package is large.
I pay for the postage via the Ebay-Paypal-USPS ship tool and get
delivery confirmation for no charge.

I ship USPS Priority Mail International for $14 and it works great,
the customs forms are filled out on the webpage and prints fine
along with the postage and bar coding for USPS. Very easy to do.

I've sent stuff to Europe, Japan, Australia and many other places.
I only  had one package get lost, I believe the address the buyer
had on file with ebay was not formatted properly.  I just sent him
another package after getting his address by email.

I did use FedEx for sending a power supply to Hong Kong, about
six months later the guy says 'where is my PS'?  I sent  him the
link at fedex.com for the delivery confirmation and the guy who
signed for the package.  Never heard from  him again.

73 james
9H1FQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »

The big ones have contracts with Fedex, UPS etc and there is  a part of their profits !! I do not mind to wait for 10 days, by US post. Whats the hurry for ? We are in no buisness !!!

An unknown gem of the Mediterranean sea is the Island of Malta. blessed with warm sun , all year round.
In just one day, you can see places which will make you travel in history from the Prehistoric temples throu the middle ages, the Knights of Malta, all the way to world war two. All the major civ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »

That will not happen soon as EBay is going to charge a final value fee on the sale price including shipping charge. If a seller charges $1.00 for an item and $50.00 for shipping. The seller will be paying a final sale fee on a total of $51.00. The old way he would have only paid a fee on the $1.00 sale price.

73s
K2OWK

All this does is provide more profit for eBay!  So what's a buck or two off the exorbitant shipping fees?  A lot of the electronics vendors (and it isn't limited to them - It's just that I order from several companies) charge ridiculous shipping and handling fees for two reasons. 1 - The high shipping fees pays for college kids to do the packaging for them.  2 - Anything over the actual costs is profit for the company.  They can afford to lower their prices and make up for it with high shipping fees.

I make it a point to not to do business with companies that charge what I consider an exorbitant shipping fee.

Quite often, if I really want something they are selling, I will call them on the phone and haggle the shipping cost. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: