Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Help!!!! RFI My Neighbor Surround Sound System  (Read 14115 times)
K6BF

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »

I have a  RFI to my Neighbor Surround Sound System on 20 and 15 Meters when running High Power. Any feedback and help i really appreciate is very much on my Station in particular.
I have good grounding and installed Ugly Balun into my A3S Yagi already and using Lowpass Filter to my feed Line also Added a Ferrite chokes to the feed line as well.

Thanks in Advance.

73 de K6BF

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »

A 'surround sound' system?  Could well be that the speaker leads are long enough to function as a resonant antenna.  Ferrites on the speaker leads at both ends may solve the problem.  I'm sure if you offered to buy them and put them on, your neighbor would appreciate it.  If your station is 'clean', you can just let it know in passing that according to the FCC, that the problem is not yours, it is his, and you ARE WILLING to help him overcome it.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »

Good article here on "Consumer Equipment RFI"
and how to fix it:

http://www.w8ji.com/consumer_equipment_rfi.htm

73, Ken  AD6KA
W0XE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »

K1CJS is correct, you are not required to assist.  But give it a shot. 

Several years ago I had a neighbor complain so the XYL and I (both hams) checked it out.  Long story short, we fixed it with a filter and 2 days later he brought it back saying he didn't want that crap on his system.  So I have ignored him since.  Not my problem any more. 

He complained once again a couple of years later and said he knew it was my voice coming thru his stuff all weekend.  Yes I was on all weekend---a CW contest.  Must have been someone else's voice.

Don, wd0bwm
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:42:32 AM »

Surround sound systems are often digital. Many of the digital inputs have no sheilding or filtering for better digital bandwidth, but this allow any strong signal to ride into the system and wreak havoc with the output.

Another thing that happens is that a strong signal of any type pushes audio stages into rectification and then all maner of normally non-interfering signals come popping out of the unit since once the stage is in rectification it will rectify any signal the comes along. In other words, a strong CW signal can cause the system interfered with to put out an AM radio stations signal if it is also present.

David
KF7CG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 07:03:06 AM »

He complained once again a couple of years later and said he knew it was my voice coming thru his stuff all weekend.  Yes I was on all weekend---a CW contest.  Must have been someone else's voice.

Don, you may have run across a new way to decode CW!   Grin
K6BF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:00:59 AM »

Thanks All for the reply and good information,. Yes i would like to help and solve the RFI but this particular neighbor would not let me take a look at there systems. I have Fix all my  computer speaker problem so i assume the same fix for the surround sound system.
I was thinking of getting the Olympix Common Mode Low Pass filter (CF5KV Filter) see if this one will help but i think the Snap Ferrite will do the Job but he is not cooperating so ill just ignored him like (Don) ,.. run power early in the morning and late nite for now.

73s,
de K6BF

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »

Yes i would like to help and solve the RFI but this particular neighbor would not let me take a look at there systems.

Under that circumstance, if your rigs are clean and there is no interference in YOUR house, I'd politely tell him to take a flying leap. The problem is on HIS end, whether he likes it or not.

FWIW, I routinely run a KW on several frequencies into an antenna about 60 feet from my home theater. Not a peep of RFI on anything in the house - and I have speaker wires running all over the place. And I operate on MY schedule, not a neighbor's.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:37:47 PM »

Under that circumstance, if your rigs are clean and there is no interference in YOUR house, I'd politely tell him to take a flying leap. The problem is on HIS end, whether he likes it or not.

Not best advise here. Yes neighbor might be irate but "you" are causing problem not him and you need to work it out somehow.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 04:56:03 AM »

W8JX,

From the sounds of it he is NOT causing the problem, unles one considers operating within the scope of his license causing.

Eample, I once had a home intercom that received the local AM radio station every morning when propagation was right. Was hat the fault of the commercial station, I was 1 mile direct distance from their 5KW transmitter.

Therefore, citing this as an example, it may not be his fault.

KF7CG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »

Yes i would like to help and solve the RFI but this particular neighbor would not let me take a look at there systems.

I believe that there is a leaflet on RFI available from either the ARRL or the FCC.  Get a copy and give it to him, and in diplomatic terms tell him that if he won't work with you to eliminate the RFI, he is on his own.  If you're station is 'clean', it is not your problem as some have said, it is his.  The sooner he is told that, the sooner you will have peace.  If he wants to, let him file a complaint--as a matter of fact, supply him with the FCC address.  Chances are that's the last you'll hear from him.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »

W8JX,

From the sounds of it he is NOT causing the problem, unles one considers operating within the scope of his license causing.

Eample, I once had a home intercom that received the local AM radio station every morning when propagation was right. Was hat the fault of the commercial station, I was 1 mile direct distance from their 5KW transmitter.

Therefore, citing this as an example, it may not be his fault.

KF7CG

Poor logic here. I do not think it is unreasonable for a next door neighbor to expect no interference from someone that decides to run a KW plus next door.  I always kinda chuckle every time I see a ham post about RFI problems in their own shack when they are running 1kw plus to a antenna 20 to 30 feet away. I do not really feel sorry for them but I do for the guy that might live next door to him.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »

FWIW, I routinely run a KW on several frequencies into an antenna about 60 feet from my home theater. Not a peep of RFI on anything in the house - and I have speaker wires running all over the place. And I operate on MY schedule, not a neighbor's.

I concur with this advice.

But, a caveat:  This has let you segue into the best way (IMO, and opinions being what they are):  Buy the ferrites, and tell him/her how to install them.  Let them do the installation.

Also, accompany the ferrites with the leaflet from the ARRL site.

DO NOT install them yourself.  Once you do that, every problem is caused by YOU (Not really, but that is the impression you will give).

Being neighbors is a two-way street:  They have to let you help them.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »

[quote author=KC2UGV link=topic=75664.msg519629#msg519629 date=1307716

DO NOT install them yourself.  Once you do that, every problem is caused by YOU (Not really, but that is the impression you will give).

[/quote]

But the catch here is that every problem related to this IS caused by ham because were it not for the ham next door running power there would be no problem

KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »

But the catch here is that every problem related to this IS caused by ham because were it not for the ham next door running power there would be no problem

No, most likely not.  Most likely, it is caused by faulty consumer electronics gear, which typically has poor filtering (If at all).

Reading the Part 15 disclaimer on all CE devices:
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:

1.   This device may not cause harmful interference.

2.   This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

So, if the operator's station is compliant (Good chance it is if he's not having problems), then the fault lies with the neighbor's equipment, not with the ham operator.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: