Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NewbieQ: Send QSL Cards for contest contacts?  (Read 2068 times)
WS4E

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:52:40 PM »

Ok, here is a newbie question.

Is it proper/good idea/worth it to send QSL cards for contest contacts?

I was making a few I don't have during some CQ WW activity this afternoon, but I have never tried to send a QSL card for a contest contact before, I have only sent them to those I had a nice qso with, not those I just exchanged the '59' with.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »

Send them !

Most contest operators would be glad to confirm a contact.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:37:57 AM »

Yes.

Personally, I would never mind getting a paper QSL card.

MIKE_DECHRISTOPHER_EX_N0HI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »

Some contesters don't do paper cards, or will simply take longer.  Some of these individuals make enormous numbers of QSO's per year and get an equally enormous amount of cards.  I have boxes of cards I received almost two years ago, some unopened.  I will eventually return all of them, however.

To make a long story short, it can't hurt to QSL!  Just don't be surprised if you don't have 100% return, or if it takes longer than regular QSO's.  Hope you had fun in WW!
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:18:31 AM »

At the Contest University at Wyboston (UK) I learned that Tim (K3LR) sends return card once every year. Dozens of boxes with QSL cards, amazing.

We, the PI4DX crew, also send return cards for every card we receive.

So, like the others mentioned, just send them in.

KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »

This is how I DX largely - contests. It is the easiest way for my little pistol station to do it.  Be sure to send green stamps and a SAE because, as mentioned, the big guns have quite a big QSL load.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »

Absolutely OK. Many well-known (I didn't say "big", just "well-known") contest stations and clubs send QSL cards for every QSO, contest or not, and they're probably waiting for you at the bureau.

Check out qrz.com for QSL'ing info for any specific ham or club. Some countries don't have incoming bureaus, and some want green stamps, and others do LOTW.

Make sure you're ready to get cards by the bureau.

Overall the percentage of contest QSO's that goes into LOTW is very high compared to other QSO's. It's already in the computer after all, it's just a matter of uploading. It is very very common for me to find that one third of my contacts in the NAQP to be verified both ways in LOTW by the next morning! It's not so consistently used by all DX but many do.

Tim.
K6OK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »

N0HI on October 25, 2009 wrote: "Some contesters don't do paper cards..."
===

Isn't this a little bit risky? If you're a top contester, you're a big fish. Racking up top scores requires contacts with lots of little fish. If a big fish doesn't keep the little fish who want QSL cards happy, I wonder if some of them might not answer big fish's 'CQ contest'?
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »

As a little fish I would never not give a big fish a point just because they didn't reply to my card.  Too many other possibilities.  In 5 years of playing on HF I only have two stations marked for NO POINTS for being so unbelievably nasty on air.

73 de Eric KG6MZS
K6OK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »

KG6MZS: I agree with you, I wouldn't withhold a point just because I hadn't received a QSL card. Stuff gets lost in the mail, it might come next year, etc.  What I was referring to are contesters who have a stated no paper QSL policy. I wouldn't withhold a point from them either, but I do wonder if there are some people who see that on qrz.com and then decide to twist the dial.
KD4POJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 01:02:42 PM »

Send the cards, if you have worked me I would be happy to confirm our contact.

Only thing I would caution you on sending repeated QSLs for stations you have worked on the same band and mode in sevearl contests.  One comfirmation is enough.  example XX1XX on 20m RTTY worked 10 times and wants QSLs for each contact.  That can be alittle excessive and bother some.  If its a new contact on a new mode and new band...yes send the card. 98% of contesters will cfm your QSO if your in the logs.

Thanks and have fun
See you down the log.

Dwayne
KD4POJ
UX5UO Print U.S. Rep.
KQ0C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »

The world will be a better place when we all participate in Logbook of the World (LOTW). After every contest I upload my log to the organizers and another copy to LOTW. Already about 50% of my contacts get confirmed on LOTW, and the percentage keeps increasing. Sure saves a lot of postage.
KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:16:03 PM »

I mostly run single op unassisted so I don't look at QRZ during contests, however, I will occasionally enter as assisted and use the cluster. If the other station specifically states they have a no QSL policy and does not use LoTW I make it a point to NOT give them a QSO. Even while casually DXing if they have a no QSL policy I spin the VFO right by them.

Most of my QSL's have been from contacts made during contests. Just follow the stations stated QSL policy and you will get your card most of the time. And I would suggest using LoTW if you're not already signed up for it as more and more DX stations are using it every day.
WZ9O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 10:22:35 PM »

During contesting and DXing…if they have a (no QSL ) policy or a ( LoTW only ) policy,

They WILL NOT get a contact from me.
MIKE_DECHRISTOPHER_EX_N0HI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »

Sorry to revive a thread that's been dead for a month now, but you bring up a good point.

I suppose someone out there has a list of callsigns they won't work because they don't QSL.  You have to remember, real big guns have enough callsign recognition that they could care less.  I am hard pressed to think of any big guns at the moment who don't at least do LOTW.  Furthermore, the maximum utility of losing one or two contacts versus the cost of mailing (literally) 5,000 cards for a weekend...well, it sort of speaks for itself.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: