Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Straight Key and Electronic Keyer vs. AB Switch...  (Read 1185 times)
KE3W

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »

I really enjoy bouncing between both Straight and Electronic Keys.  It is really a pain to "plug and unplug" everytime I change.  Does anyone know where I can buy a switch to handle both?  I'm portable so don't have the necessary tools to build one.

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »

I wonder if a simple stereo Y-adapter would work?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »

By electronic key, do you mean an actual external electronic keyer or a set of paddles?

If you are referring to a real external keyer, all you need is a small project box, a DPDT switch, two jacks to match the connectors on the keyer and straight key, and a cable and connector to match the one on the rig. Wire each side of the switch to one of the jacks and the center contacts to the cable to the rig - major a 20 minute project.

If you are referring to a set of paddles, most modern rigs have separate jacks for a straight key/keyer and a set of paddles.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE3W

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply - I have a CW Touch Keyer (self contained unit - stand alone).  Roger on an easy build - but, I don't have access to all the tools (soldering iron, etc.) that I would need to put something together.

By electronic key, do you mean an actual external electronic keyer or a set of paddles?

If you are referring to a real external keyer, all you need is a small project box, a DPDT switch, two jacks to match the connectors on the keyer and straight key, and a cable and connector to match the one on the rig. Wire each side of the switch to one of the jacks and the center contacts to the cable to the rig - major a 20 minute project.

If you are referring to a set of paddles, most modern rigs have separate jacks for a straight key/keyer and a set of paddles.

KE3W

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply.  I would be concerned about uncessary feedback and just don't want to risk doing any damage while portable.  Hopefully, someone else tried the "Y-adapter."

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply.  I would be concerned about uncessary feedback and just don't want to risk doing any damage while portable.  Hopefully, someone else tried the "Y-adapter."

If it is a straight key and the electric end of a keyer that you want to combine, then a mono Y-adapter ought to do it.
KE3W

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »

Thanks everyone - I went ahead and tried the "Y-Adapter" and it worked like a champ.

Again thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: