Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell phone repeater/extenders  (Read 2240 times)
WY3X

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »

Looking for some reviews/information on these units. A family member is about to buy one, and I'd hate for them to buy "snake oil". If you
have one of these units, are you happy with it in all respects? If so, what brand and model do you have? They asked me to recommend
one, and I know zip about them. They're trying to keep the purchase as inexpensive as possible. It needs to work on the Verizon network.
I'm trying to steer them clear of the Verizon branded unit, because it requires a high-speed internet connection as well as a GPS signal to
function. I also don't know if they have 850MHz service or 1900MHz service, so I guess this query should be confined to dual-band units
that will do both. I appreciate anyone's thoughts on what the best value unit is to recommend to them.

Thanks, -WY3X
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »

They are called "femocells" and require broadband and GPS. I have a Sprint version and have been using it for over a year and love it. Sprint version operates at 1900mhz which is sprints native band and Verizon one at 800mhz or their native band. They need GPS data so system knows how to map them and do hand offs. My current one provides 3g coverage too. I get full signal in house and excellent battery life.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »

They are called "femocells" and require broadband and GPS. I have a Sprint version and have been using it for over a year and love it. Sprint version operates at 1900mhz which is sprints native band and Verizon one at 800mhz or their native band. They need GPS data so system knows how to map them and do hand offs. My current one provides 3g coverage too. I get full signal in house and excellent battery life.

The Verizon version requires a broadband connection and a GPS signal, but there are full active repeaters that don't.

You missed a "t" in the word "femtocell".

I'm familiar with the technology- I don't want one that requires an internet connection for obvious reasons (the internet fails when power goes out). I'm looking for a "true" RF-based cell phone repeater like a Wi-Ex or a ZBoost, but need to know which brand and model generates the least consumer complaints (not necessarily restricted to those two brands- they were just two I found for sale on eBay). I surfed a few consumer review sites, but they all seem to review units that are no longer being produced.

Thanks, -WY3X
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06:15 AM »

This sounds like the same thing as a DVAP for D-STAR, only it is for cell phones.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:54 AM »

Try this site: http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/products.aspx

They have them for mobile and base installations. The units also cover various services, IE: cdma/pcs/evdo/gms/tdma and others on several bands/frequencies while allowing several people to utilize it at the same time. Just get the one for your network. There is a page showing carriers and what they use.

These are not that cheap. Pretty much what malls and hotels use for inside the buildings to give you your coverage while shopping.

Just some info for you.

Joe
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »

Thanks Joe, that's kind of what I had in mind. My son-in-law sent me an e-mail that states he was hoping to find one for less than $250 (what Verizon wants for one that uses the internet). I found a couple on eBay that were around $190, but no reviews on them. The link you provided shows exactly what I think he and our daughter need, but the price is (as you mention) objectionable. I'll send the ball back to his court and let him make up his mind. At that price, it isn't going to be a birthday or Christmas present!!!

Thanks, -WY3X
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »

I'm familiar with the technology- I don't want one that requires an internet connection for obvious reasons (the internet fails when power goes out). I'm looking for a "true" RF-based cell phone repeater like a Wi-Ex or a ZBoost, but need to know which brand and model generates the least consumer complaints (not necessarily restricted to those two brands- they were just two I found for sale on eBay). I surfed a few consumer review sites, but they all seem to review units that are no longer being produced.

My Internet does not fail with power. My systems are on a few large UPS backup supplies and 3 or 4 hours is fine before I need a generator. I like it going through broadband at home because I always have a channel and always have good 3g too.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: