Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference in the 2009 or 2011 arrl handbook?  (Read 1475 times)
KC9RCG

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:33:23 AM »

I really don't want to pay the full amount for a 2011, but will if need be. But, is there much difference in the content of each year?

thanks
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »

It depends on what you're looking for; the newer projects and latest components will be in the latest books, while basic radio theory and standard circuits and components will be in all of them.

Since I use mine for reference, I pay a lot of attention to how the index is laid out. I have one issue (2008) where the editors didn't think wire size was very important and eliminated it from the index (although it is in the book).  They also provided headers in the alphabetized index, but only for the listings starting with the letters A, B, E, G, J, N, O, R, U, Y and Z.  It had to be one of the sloppiest handbooks they ever published, but it was free with my membership renewal so I can't complain too much. Those guys who paid $45 for their copies should have gotten a better product.

The newer handbooks usually have the latest software included on the accompanying CD ROM, which also includes an electronic version of the handbook. The 2009 issue should come with the CD ROM.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »

Ohm's Law hasn't been repealed  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:09:17 AM »

Although there are bits and pieces that are new, the important stuff hasn't changed, nor is it likely to.  Right now, I'm thinking of getting a new edition--but my current edition is circa 2003--and it still serves me well.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:15 AM »

I buy new editions of both the ARRL and RSGB handbooks every five years. Not much changes over this time and the old copies get donated to new hams just starting up.

Tanakasan
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »

>I buy new editions of both the ARRL and RSGB handbooks

I was wondering what the difference between those two books is, other than the authors and where they are published.  :-)

Also, I notice that RSGB publishes their version of the "Operator Manual", does anyone know how that differs from the ARRL/US version other than UK specific regulations?

Carlton
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »

The theory sections are very similar. The RSGB Handbook projects use easier to find components they are often quite dated. The ARRL Handbook projects are sometimes more complex and sometimes they contain links to web pages that no longer work after a few years.

The two books complement each other.

Tanakasan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: