Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thumping car stereo killer  (Read 9814 times)
WY3X

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »

I'm sick and tired of pulling up next to a car at a traffic light and having my windows vibrate to the tune of whatever music they're listening to. Has anyone come up with a device that will kill a car stereo system? <evil grin!!!>

I've asked about this before, but have never come up with anything precise and definite. It has to be a real device that can be purchased walk-in at a retail store, not some company selling plans for a "plasma gun that will cause intense pain to your target" type business. Even something that will cause feedback in the perpetrator's car would be super-great!

Please contain the "that's not legal" comments. This inquiry is purely for personal speculation and venting. I'm sure someone on this forum will sympathize and agree with me? Am I right? I've heard the "kilowatt on 2M and a long-boom Yagi", but that's not feasible from a mobile standpoint. It's got to be small enough to place on the seat, and pick up and point at a target. And no, a firearm is not anything that would be considered. The report (BANG!) would lead the cause of the malfunctioning stereo back to me! Whatever the device is, it must be covert so that the thump-system owner will not know it's me causing the problem. And the device must not cause any problems to my own vehicle or cause injury to others or animals. It must ONLY disable the car stereo of a nearby vehicle (even if only temporarily), and nothing more.

Thanks for allowing me to vent, -WY3X
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »

I saw a cartoon once.....  two guys are in an electronics store, which includes ham gear. 

The one in front is holding a cheap walkie-talkie, which is  melting down through his fingers like hot chocolate. The second guy, behind him has just flipped the switch on a BIG ham amplifier!

The expression on the face of the guy holding the melting walkie-talkie is priceless!
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:44 AM »

I too wish someone had an answer to this problem also.
 I live in a subdivision and the main entry street is where I live. Car after car drive that street many times a day. Many of thoes cars have thoes goofy jam boxes going. Then when they get home the sit in the car with it still blasting, you can hear it all over the neighborhood. I've call the police on them but by the time they get here its already over. I live in Dallas. I'm not really shure what to do about it anymore. I know that the problem is getting worse.
73 Jim. W5JJG
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:10:03 AM »

A number of years ago I had a teenager next door who on Sat mornings liked to open all the doors and the hatchback on his car, turn the radio up, and go back inside his house to listen to it. I found an RF sweep generator set for the FM band and connected to one of my antennas worked wonders. It didn't take him long to turn it off when he heard all that racket comming from his car. I don't think he ever figured out why his car radio worked fine except for his own yard on Sat mornings  Grin

I expect today most of the "music" is being generated by a CD rather than over the air so the problem is much more difficult.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:23:21 AM »

Hi
Once when I was following a friend to their place, I was using the rig in the car and didn't even think about those driving near me as I did so. Well, I ended up ahead of my friend and he told me the story later at his place. As I was talking skip with only 200w at a stoplight, a car near me with a earth shaking sound system suddenly stopped shaking the earth. My friend said that these guys in the earth shaker tried to catch up to me since obviously I had fried their stereo with rf, they had seen me holding the mic and put rf and stereo, or lack of stereo, together. They never caught up to me and I never even knew what danger I was in, rf danger! I just played dx untill we got to my friends place. I think my friend may have mentioned them rolling down their windows to let the smoke out or something.

Wich brings me to a story I remember reading somewhere. Some ham lived upon a hill, and some cber* liked to park on that hill near the hams house to play cb. The ham talked to the cber about not parking so close as he was splatterig 10m, but the cber had unkind words for the ham so the ham left off. Did I forget to mention the hams tower, 10m beam, and a surplus amp that would produce 5kw @ 10m? Needless to say, after the ham came on 10m with that thing and gave a simple cq, the ham rushed to the window just in time to see the cber opening the doors to let the smoke out. The cber never returned.

All this should teach us a few things.

One is that all electronics work on smoke. If you let the smoke out of a device, the device will not work untill you can get the smoke back inside the device. Try it and see.

Another is the judicious application of rf can have many different positive effects, including social ones.

*I must add that not all cbers are alpha hotels or adam henrys.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »

.... It has to be a real device that can be purchased walk-in at a retail store,...

That is funny. 

WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »

.... It has to be a real device that can be purchased walk-in at a retail store,...

That is funny. 

I had to say SOMETHING funny so people would realize I'm venting, and not completely serious...

And to the fellow who mentioned the use of CDs over FM radio these days, absolutely! But there
should be some frequency that one could transmit on that would interrupt the communications
inside a CD player, eh?

73, -WY3X
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »

I believe Mossberg has a number of solutions to this problem. Well since were ignoring the legal issues associated with this issue.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »

Wouldn't a box containing several LARGE capacitors charging off of the battery, with a remote switch to a spark gap cause a large enough EMP?

Just make sure that your ENTIRE (computers, radio, lights, sensors, etc.) electrical system is wired to totally disconnect from all power just before you hit the switch.

Wouldn't that work? Scenes from the Matrix floating around in my head now....... Hi hi
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »

A porpoise built one may consist of an msd spark discharge ignition system and a parabolic reflector.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/7805_-_MSD_8-Plus_Ignition_Control.aspx

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »

I worked on an idea for a defensive weapon system I called a 'Sandworm' missile that would home on and destroy thumpers (it's name is a Dune reference). Cool I gave that up when I realized that the problem is fundamentally psychosocial. Sad Damaging or destroying the offending hardware is a temporary solution that will only increase theft and illicit pharmaceutical sales in the area as the operator seeks to rebuild and improve their offensive weapon. Angry

I take small comfort in knowing that within a few years the sociopath operators of said units will be incarcerated as a result of their other activities. Cheesy
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »

A porpoise built one
Huh

http://media.smithsonianmag.com/images/phenomena_kdog.jpg

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWOEVVn07co&feature=related

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 02:37:12 AM »

KJ6EAD said:

>I take small comfort in knowing that within a few years the sociopath operators of said units will be incarcerated as a result of their other activities.<

There is a strong possibility that they won't be incarcerated, but dead, either as a result of being a street corner pharmacist's customer, or of failing to pay off the right guys. This is likely to be far better for society as a whole......but then, I'm a liberal, so I figure the sooner, the better.
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »

A microwave oven, hole for a probe, a bit of hardline and a largish helix would, I expect stand a good chance of getting the job done.....

Lets see, say you get +27dbW out of the oven, loose a dB or so in the feedline and add say 16dB or so from the helix (which may need to be mounted in a plastic tube pressurized with SF6 now I consider it), that gives you a cool +42dbW ERP which I make to be around 16Kw effective radiated. Given you guys get 1500W PEP on most bands, I am not even sure the above rig is illegal!

All that will be 100% modulated and I believe the ovens are rated in RMS terms..... THAT should do the job!
Of course a large cap charged to a few Kv into a PFN feeding the maggie would get you higher peak power, but is going to be hard on a consumer microwave cathode.

Even if it does not take the stereo out it stands a good chance of taking the operators out of the reproductive gene pool.

I do like the sandworm as a notion however.

Regards, Dan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: