Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: headphones  (Read 2415 times)
N1YE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »

I've used lots of headphones over the years. My absolute favorite is a pair of Sony headphones made for iPods or Walkmans. Instead of going over the head, they go behind the neck. They are so light that it barely feels like I am wearing any. I built a small network of a single resistor and two capacitors to attenuate all of the audible frequencies above and below the normal narrow range that I listen to for CW and SSB.  This allows me to use any stereo headphones with a small plug. Its basically a midrange crossover network in a minibox. As well as increasing the audible signal to noise ratio, it eliminates the listening fatigue that I used to experience after a night of hash, snap, crackle, and pop.
My neck and head are no longer tired after a contest because of the lighter weight.
KC4YEY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 04:29:57 PM »

Though they are expensive,  you will find that Sennheiser HD-58, HD-600, or HD-650 headphones are absolutely superb.  They DEFINE comfort and can be worn all day without any fatigue.   Their audio quality is among the best in the world.  These models are all audiophile's favorites and their accuracy and fidelity can only help you when listening to weak signals under difficult band conditions.

I use HD600s, myself, for general purpose listening.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »

I've been using Reaslistic Nova Pro over-the-ear padded headphones for nearly 30 years, and I found them used at a thrift shop! Made an internal mod, so I could switch from mono to stereo with a little switch.
The main goal is to get an over the ear headphone that's comfy. The fidelity doesn't matter, your radio puts out a very restricted audio bandwidth. If you mus have bragging rights about how much you spent, Heil or David Clark or Bose will do, but unless you need active noise cancellation, just go for something over the ear with comfy cushions!
K3PRN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 04:20:51 AM »

Try Japan Radio Company's ST3 headphones. There designed for the communications frequency range wise rather than high fidelity. I have used them for years and there are well made and comfortable.

73 Don K3PRN
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37:43 PM »

The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones are 'closed-back', and get rid of a lot of room noise.

They have thick earpads, large enough so that the earpads sit on your head (not your ears), and your ears _don't touch_ the headphones.  They're comfortable for many hours of wear.  They are "hi-fi" phones; if your rig's filtering is bad, you'll hear the hiss.

If you do some Googling, you'll find a story of converting them to headsets by gluing a 3/8" bolt to one earpiece, and adding a Heil HC-4 element hanging from a piece of copper tubing.  A real "ham special"!

The other comfortable alternative is a set of earbuds.  I've used the Skullcandy "Ink" buds.  They have nice soft noise-blocking inserts.

Earbuds don't solve the microphone problem -- but a $20 mic floor stand from the music store does that nicely, if you have a mic already.

Charles
KE5RON

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 03:02:28 PM »

K0IZ do you have a link to plans for an interface for aviation headsets? We were trying to find something like that to link our headsets to our HTs for an airshow event. I found a few things on various web pages but not enough. Thanks.

--
Ron, KE5RON
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:11 PM »

Ron, send me your email address and I will forward some stuff.  kcflyers@yahoo.com
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:40 PM »

My vote is for Sony MDR-V6's, available very reasonably from www.millionbuy.com.  They have amazing sound quality and are not fatiguing to listen to for extended periods of time.  Additionally, the pads are very soft so they are not uncomfortable (I wore them for 20 hours of Sweepstakes this year with zero aggravation).

Dan / ab0re
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: