Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-5100 flashing frequency display  (Read 2293 times)
K9BF

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »

Hello
I have an FT-5100 that is displaying 600.00 and flashing the last 3 zeros. The other side is displays 21. and fashes the following zeros. No audio from the speaker. I did a soft and hard reset but nothing changed.
Ben K9BF
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »

Here's the user guide... http://www.download.n7tgb.net/yaesu/FT5100_user.pdf

Might find something in the troubleshooting list. Given the age of the radio I think a fresh memory backup battery would be a good first step.

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »

Ha! Another one with a battery!
K9BF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:54 AM »

The battery read 3.2 volts so I think its fine. Nothing in the manual helps. The left side of the display says 300.450 with the 450 flashing. The right side says 0.20.000 with the 000 flashing. I have done both a soft reset and a hard reset. Nothing changed. The control buttons seem to work. I can press rev and it goes there. The mike seems ok. I don't have any audio coming from the speaker either. Volume at full and the squelch open.
Ben K9BF
WA0ZZG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:28:13 AM »

The 5100 is a nice radio, but has some quirks.
1. On ALL Yaesu radios, a flashing frequency display indicates an out of lock synthizer and both receive and transmitt will be muted.
2. The 5100 stores operating parameters in RAM and has to be configured before use.  This includes frequency ranges and power levels for the country it will be used in.  This information can be lost and you get what you are seeing.  The most normal reason it gets lost is a bad battery.
Check in the service manual for the setup procedure.  If not found, I suspect it can be found on the internet.  Follow the procedure to the letter, don't get fancy.
Dave
WA0ZZG
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 03:59:19 AM »

The battery read 3.2 volts so I think its fine. Nothing in the manual helps. The left side of the display says 300.450 with the 450 flashing. The right side says 0.20.000 with the 000 flashing. I have done both a soft reset and a hard reset. Nothing changed. The control buttons seem to work. I can press rev and it goes there. The mike seems ok. I don't have any audio coming from the speaker either. Volume at full and the squelch open.
Ben K9BF
Check mods.uk. There was a mod to free tx/rx frequencies in those 5100/5200. If your's have the mods, then check them or undone them.

Now, whenever you reset the radio (I think it was a 3 key combo + power up) you have to set the limits. In this order (from the top of my head, check a manual):
- UHF lower rx freq.
- UHF upper rx freq.
- UHF lower tx freq.
- UHF upper tx freq.
- VHF lower rx freq.
- VHF upper rx freq.
- VHF lower tx freq.
- VHF upper tx freq.
Move the encoder (you can press MHz to speed up) to set the freq. and press D/MR. Repeat until all done.

I think the inital values after reset are 200 or 300 MHz for UHF, and 20 MHz for VHF, so at least that last is a coincidence. The receiver is not great far away up or down the band (indeed, the UHF receiver is not great even in band) and check that the tx limits are in-band.

73 de Fer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: