Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouxun and Diamond SRJ77CA  (Read 8491 times)
DAVER

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:50:48 AM »

I just ordered a wouxun 2/440 and the only aftermarket antenna I could find for basic use that had the proper plug for the jack was the Diamond SRJ77CA.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/57135547.html

Was seeing if anyone had tried this antenna before and how would they rate it with the wouxuns?
W4PSV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »

I'm using a Diamond RH771 with the connector modified and it seems a little better than the OEM antenna on 2M if I'm in a hole, which I am in relation to my most frequently used repeater.  In the clear, however, not much difference.  The OEM is not a bad antenna.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »

Dont know about you.. but my oem antenna was more like a radiating dummy load.

Any standard SMA antenna will work just fine.

you just need to stop by radio shack and pick up an SMA-SMA barrel connector to screw into the antenna..

I'm using a Jetstream JT-524SMA  antenna with that adapter and it works great.

http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jt524sma.shtml

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3150586

Jetstream antennas are amazing for their price range Smiley
I have a JTB-3 base antenna too (Diamond X50 clone)

DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:26 AM »

Yeah actually the OEM antenna passes my "good enough for what I need" tests. I can tag some pretty far off repeaters with it. Specifically the ones I use, on 2m anyway. I'm just ganna set up a stealthy external one for home use anyhow starting with one of those N9TAX duel banders. Then have to start homebrewing using that as a reference.

Dave,
KD2AKC
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:38:17 AM by DAVER » Logged
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »

well, i think my oem antenna was indicitive of Wouxun's quality control.. if you get a good one.. they're great.. the tricky part can be getting a good one Smiley

I had a bad drop in charger . it just quit working on me one day, Ed was really great and got another one out to me right away.. the day after it arrived, I knocked the HT and drop in charger on the floor together.. HT survived just fine.. and the charger started working again.. lol
for how long I don't know.

I wish they'd get that blasted mobile radio ready for sale.. I'd like to try one!

in the mean time I just bought a Yaesu FT-8900 quad band which is really nice Smiley
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »

I bought the Larsen KD4-2/70 and the wxbnc adapter when I bought the radio from HRO. I never did compare it to the OEM antenna, but I will tell you that from my home, I can hit one of the WAN repeaters with it at approximately 55 straight line miles..... I am very happy with it on my KG- UV3D 2/UHF radio!
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »

uvd3??? is that the 220 unit?

i have a UVD1 and a UVD2... both 2m/440 units..
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »

It is the newer version of the 2/70 dual bander with the Revised software and hardware I believe. Version 3?
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »

as far as I know, there is no model 3.. only UVD1 and UVD2... that's why I was asking Smiley

unless that's the other 2m/70cm model.. there are two different 2m/70cm models.. one does the 70cm and lower.. the other does 70cm and higher.
i selected the higher one for the possibilities of GMRS operation..
DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »

I may be wrong but I believe there's even different versions of the same ones with the same frequency groups. Like they have made random firmware updates with different batches of manufacturing... tweaking and whatnot, especially with growth in the American and European markets.

If I had to guess the difference between KG-UV2D (the one I have) and the other two that were manufactured in the same "runs" are probably nil outside of cosmetic. I could be wrong though. I couldn't find a manufacturer date on the radio, just serial. But the charger clearly has it labeled on the back as this month.

Dave,
KD2AKC

Edit: I just had a fairly good conversation on a repeater that's about 60 miles from here with the wouxun on the N9TAX antenna. I can't even see the sky from where I live (first floor in city) and my antenna was just hanging in my kitchen. Not only was he, but I, too, was blown away. Might of been some propagation stuff going on though so will have to try again tomorrow and see if I have the same results. This things does pretty good with it's 5W!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:10:45 PM by DAVER » Logged
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »

hrrmph.. go figure Smiley

I have a UVD1 and UVD2 as I said.. they are the same except for cosmetics and minor firmware updates..
my uvd1 came to me wide open.. it's a part 90 radio and it was shipped like one Smiley

the UVD2 has a customize-able power-on message, and a slightly different texture to the plastic case.. that's what makes it different.. and it was restricted to Ham bands TX when I got it.. (easily changeable with downloadable software)
K2LED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »

There are 2 variations of antenna available depending on the model of radio ordered (220 excluded). 

The 420-520 antenna is shorter and a poorer performer on ham bands.  The 350-470 model is shipped with an antenna that is marked 400-470 MHZ.  This antenna is 1/2 inch longer than the previous mentioned. 

After having at least 16 of these rigs through my door in various configurations and with extensive testing, I have found that the 400-470 antenna is an exceptional performer.  It is on par with Diamond's RH77CA with a SMA BNC adapter. 

There is a notable degrade in performance when using a 420-520 antenna on ham bands. 
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »

I know you are on the opposite side of the Pond but it wont hurt to give Garex an email. I believe the Mydel whip for my KG 699 (4 metres) might be a rebadged Garex

http://www.garex.co.uk/aerials/flexis.htm

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: