Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting Hall of Shame  (Read 2639 times)
NO6L

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:33:25 AM »

This thread is NOT for the considerate contester that avoids conflicting with existing QSOs. He or she usually asks if the frequency's in use a couple of times and if notified of that case, moves 3Khz up or down band and then proceeds. To you, I say thank you and good luck in your endeavors.

Now, for the lids and losers giving contesting a bad name. That would be the ones that drop anchor right on top of the QSO and begin calling "CQ contest". Also, those that move right up within your passband, like 1Kz down and starts in. Then, the worst scourge of Amateur Radio, the lid moron that operates split and doesn't check his/her transmit frequency to see if it's in use. And as if that weren't enough, when notified of their transgression, they'll simply reply something like "Tough copy OM, sorry", when you know they can hear you fine. And continue on like nothing happened.

Do not include the stations returning these lids calls because they have no knowledge of the offending stations previous actions.

Enter the callsign, what their response was and what the initial offense was and any other juicy tidbits of interest.

And now, without further ado:

The Contesters Hall of Shame

My entry is NB3K
He just began calling CQ Contest on a 5K split transmitting on 3.84 Mhz on or about 10/10/09 at or about 0300 UT without even asking if the frequency was in use. Then, when informed of his error, ignored the stations informing him of this error. He continued for two hours after the above times.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:22 AM »

Of course, there are a lot of lids on both sides of the "CQ Contest" issue:

During this weekend's PA QSO party I was tuning across 80 meter phone answering CQs when I came across a clear frequency. I asked twice if it was in use, no response - so I started calling CQ. I made one QSO and heard several stations now complaining that I that I was on "their" frequency. So, without a word I abandoned the frequency and started tuning again.

About 3 khz higher, the frequency was still clear so I did the "QRZ, is the frequency in use?" thing twice again, no response, starting calling CQ. Within minutes same good old boys came on and started complaining. Now, I'm running 100 watts to a Windom at 45' - I'm not tremendously loud and I'm not 5 khz wide - even if they had actually been having a QSO (vs. just guarding their favorite frequency) 3 khz away shouldn't be bothering them.

It's a never ending debate but in my experience the % of lids is pretty constant across every sub-interest area in the hobby. Though, it is hard to complain about those JT65 guys...

73, John K3TN

John K3TN
W4KKX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »

While participating in the PA QSO contest this past weekend, I noticed that on several occasions, individuals would tune-up on top of an existing QSO.  I've noticed this as well on 20 meters; individuals will tune-up over a pile-up making it extremely difficult to carry on with a QSO while they tune.

I find this behavior strange and inconsiderate to all those using the frequency...these individuals surely are not so callous to willingly interfere, but must not know how to tune-up off freq with an existing QSO or to use a dummy-load.

It would be extremely interesting to have one of these individuals to elaborate.

For the most part, the ham community is extremely nice and considerate of others on the bands.  I've had many an enjoyable QSO and have made quite a few new acquaintances.

73's KB4KKX
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »

What contest would that be on October 10 where one would work split way up in the USA band? There were some state QSO parties but hams don't work split in those.

"He just began calling CQ Contest on a 5K split transmitting on 3.84 Mhz on or about 10/10/09 at or about 0300 UT"

What did he gain from doing that? Did he work anyone? I see he runs dipoles and small amps. Sounds like a jammer more than a contester.

Looks like your only interest is starting a "NB3K Hall of Shame."
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:53:33 AM »

"While participating in the PA QSO contest this past weekend, I noticed that on several occasions, individuals would tune-up on top of an existing QSO."

And somehow you know the tuner-upper was in the contest?

Almost any competent contester can change bands in a second or two. Often instantly.
KC2ZA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »

I operated in this years PAQSO party and I did hear a couple of times some stations operating split due to being in a rare county and getting piled up.
I was QRP and not doing any pileup busting, so I moved along, but I heard it a couple of times.
Rick
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »

I was active both days in the PA QSO Party and I never heard anyone operating split.

More ANTI-CONTEST Rabble !
NB3O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »

Dang, I missed the nomination by 4 letters....
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »

All though I think there should be a "Contesters Hall of Fame" this could be dangerous. NO6L I hope you truly are a contester and not a poser. I do offer this scenerio.

What about the NETS or Rag Chew Groups that meet daily?

Will you have a posting on these groups that fire up right on top of the contester calling CQ?

Who is going to monitor to ensure proper alegations and evidence is posted and how it's posted?

This could be real dangerous when you have a calaboration of NET users or groups that stick together against one contester that will effect others.

Hmmmm! Some contesters mostly the multi op stations will be on a band all night and day. In some cases they will have a frequency where once propagations opens up it can be like a light switch. In this case we all know it can seem like either or just jumped on one another with out warning. This suggestion your making seems rediculous, but can catch one of those smucks ruining for the rest of us.

Why cant some of these NETS or groups give notice to their memebers that their activity will be moved to another band or posponed till after the weekend?

It's not like the contests run every weekend or during the week like all other activities. It's not the end of the world and "Practice" Emergency nets are going to miss anything.

Guess this will be another fun filled week of contesting!

73, and try your best not to "JAM" anybody unless your "JAMED" first. "Whats Good For The Goose, is Good For The Gander"
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:14 AM »

There must be several hundred similar instances of cluelessness, liddish behavior, misunderstanding, or honest dispute on the bands every day, contest or not.  Wouldn't it be great if everyone filled up these forums documenting their own occurrences of personal slight?
NB3K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

Charles,

I started the PAQSO party on 3.840. When I started the frequency was clear. It was only after the pile-up developed did other ops complain. I made the mistake of running a split and not checking to see if the frequency was in use. Yes you are right. It was very inconsiderate and dumb of me. To the folks that I qrmed when I was in split mode I sincerly apologize.
Within 5 minutes, (NOT TWO HOURS) I returned back to the original 3.840 frequency where I started.

I learned a great deal in that contest. And it will show when I apply the wisdom that I gained in the mistakes I made.

What I don't get is how you can sit up here and trash people. What, am I the only one in history that made a mistake?  Are you telling me that you have never made your own share of mistakes. I have an e-mail address, and it can be accessed through qrz.com. You could have dropped me an e-mail to tell me a better way of handling a massive pile-up that I had. But instead you would rather talk smack about others.
NB3K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »

BTW I was the only op in Northumberland County.

I had tuner uppers and qrmers that is why I tried the 5kc split. I will be a better op in the next contest.

It was my first 3 hour pile up. I worked 58 counties in three hours!
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:01:15 AM »

NB33K Said
"I have an e-mail address, and it can be accessed through qrz.com. You could have dropped me an e-mail to tell me a better way of handling a massive pile-up that I had. But instead you would rather talk smack about others."

I agree. The complainer should of just dropped you an e-mail.

And if one guy does something in a contest that puts such a burr under your saddle that you feel you have to post it in a public forum, then you are far too thin skinned for contesting! Come on, we all get tired and mess up sometimes during contests. Ain't no big thing.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »

Propagation being what it is - it is possible to find a clear frequency and then have another part of the world open up on you.  I see it all the time in the PSK waterfall.

I think it is best to assume it is an honest mistake.

73 de Eric KG6MZS
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 04:10:06 PM »

Hope that I can work you in the 2010 PA QP Jason!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: