Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting Hall of Shame  (Read 2625 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 10:21:11 PM »

NB3K,

AS a man you showed me that you are sincere and honorable in admitting to a mistake. That's more than any of these bone heads are willing to do themselves.

As a contest operator, and general operator I enjoy all aspects of this hobby. I don't have one frequency I call home or mine. For this reason I don't have the problem many of these complainers have. Their set in their way and there's nothing they've ever done wrong and couldn't do wrong. Their perfect in every way!

Now, I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge!

The problem is once the contests begins we have invaded the very frequency these folks have used for 30 years. Who are we to use it for anything else but their NETS or rag chew groups? Follow me?

I couldn't believe that in the mists of the CQWW the Maritime Mobile NET tried to run off the contester's. I stood up the first 24 hrs. and just to see what would happen I waited on 14300. I heard the first Russian station come on and just 2 KHZ below a U.K. station. Frequency was already being used before any U.S. station. Guess what happened? It was unbelievable! They were trying to tell them they were an official emergency frequency like it was the Coast Guard frequency or something. These people are sick!

Mind you they were the only NET trying to do this which verified something to me. There is something wrong with these people. So you see they can't be wrong!

If folks think contests can be rude only a few times a year they should evaluate the attitude and operating procedures of NCO's that think they own the frequency that is used by the entire world.

Enjoy the contest and learn from them but don't let folks sell you gibberish.
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »

N2RRA:  "I couldn't believe that in the <midst> of the CQWW the Maritime Mobile NET tried to run off the contester's."

That didn't just happen on 14300.  I heard the net control drop down to 14298.3 (1.7 KHz away!) to tell the guy who had already been CQ'ing on that frequency for some time that he was QRM'ing the start of their net.  He moved, but I'm not sure I would have.

On the other hand, I and many others tried to stay away from the SSTV stuff on 14230.  Courtesy is courtesy.

Dave   AB7E
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »

I mainly do S&P during contests especially the ones where there is lots of DX on so that I may be able to pick up a few new ones I need. Having said that, I do occasionally call CQ to see what happens. I rarely generate a pileup being in California (I mean who hasn't worked that rare California DX Smiley. If I know that the frequency is used by a long time standing net, I tend to avoid it. However if the net isn't in session and there is a DX station there, I'll wade in a attempt to work him. If a net station comes on frequency and starts trying to bully people off to hold the frequency and the DX was there first, I ignore the net station and continue with the contest. It's a matter of following the rules which state that no one owns any particular frequency and we're not to interfere with established communications IN PROGRESS. A listed net frequency is NOT IN PROGRESS. A net in session is. If I happen to be on a frequency and a net station comes on and politely asks if I could move up or down since they have a net to start up in a few minutes, I have no problem in doing so. But I won't move if someone demands I move and I was there first. I have a tape recorder and would be happy to supply the FCC with a tape should they bully their way in and interfere with me. I would expect no different if I were trying to bully in myself, which I don't do.

Contests can be fun. I know from personal experience that contests can be frustrating to non-testers as I was one for many years before the contest bug bit me. I like the thrill of working thru a pileup to achieve a new DX contact in the big contests. It's just a matter of personal preference but we all need to learn to play together else someone may close the sandbox someday.

73 and see ya in the 'test,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »

AB7E,

You are correct! Courtesy is courtesy, but that is extended to them daily through out the year during the entire time 20m propagation is open. When do you think that same courtesy can come back around instead of continuing to hoard the propagagtion.

What bugs me is when they falsely mislead people into thinking there is some imperitive necessity to keeping 6Khz of band space clear of them. What would be courtious is if NETS can take a 24 hour, or 48 hour break and allow the major contest to go on without barriers. Think about it! A few hours out of the year over NETS that run daily when ever the bands open.

Sun rises from east to west as would propagation. Band opens that way and heard the Europeans on 14.300 +/- a few Khz before their NET started so where is the courtesy they were supposed to extended to the operator who had 14.300 first rather than trying to run him off?

73!
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 09:08:13 AM »

I operated in the CQ WW Phone contest last weekend, 20 meters.  Almost totally search and pounce.  As I tuned up the band, at about 14265 I came across some jerk who was calling "non-contesting CQ".  He was grossly overmodulating, spread about 10 KHz each way.  I politely called him and said I thought he was spattering (by the way, I did give my call).  He less politely told me to shove it.  He continued his antics until the end of the contest, then disappeared.  Thereafter was not heard, in spite of the almost empty band.

I view a big contest weekend as similar to rush hour traffic.  Very busy, crowded, a few rude drivers.  That's life.
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »

N2RRA,

You may have misunderstood my point.  I have rather little sympathy for the nets, especially the one on 14300 that pretends to perform emergency service when in fact it's mostly a social gathering that thinks they own the frequency plus/minus 3 KHz.

I do try to stay away from 14230, though, because it seems to be the ONLY place that the SSTV guys hang out and I'd rather have them do exactly that than have them show up randomly across the band during a contest.

I actually have a similar, but less favorable, view of that ham radio leper colony on 14275.  I think those folks represent the dregs of the hobby, but if they self-quarantine themselves there the rest of us are probably better off for it.

Dave   AB7E
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 07:56:09 AM »

AB7E and K0IZ,

Dave, Im with you on that! Believe me when I tell you I try my best to be courtious, respectful and civil, but there comes a time when it just becomes plain old intollerable.

The SSTV and digital SSTV groups are 3 kHz apart and is the only digital mode in the phone band and has been for decades. When I hear comments such as to move the SSTV mode I don't think it's right for anyone to change that plus the mode needs to envolve partial phone operation.

Nets on the other hand is all phone and takes up way to much phone air time. Each and everyone of them will justify their operation by either claiming it EMCOMM warning the sympathy from groups ,or an activity imperitive inte name of Amateur Radio. Loose nuts missed the while idea of Ham Radio for their own self indulgence.

K0IZ,

The splatter box, rude arrogant Ham you probably didn't want to mention I'm sure was KZ8O. I heard him also trying to be a thorn in the side. His rig runs only 2.8khz wide on my spectrum analyzer, but between his dirty amp and over modulated audio it spreads 8 kHz wide or better. It's the worst transmitter I've ever heard in my life.

I hate that guy and is the worst operator ever. I think he likes being an A-hole! Must have had a bitter life.

73!
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 05:46:59 AM »

In reply to AB7E and nets comment...

In major international contests there are no rules.  As a net control person on severl HF nets many years ago I quickly developed the pholosophy that when the big contests such as Field Day came along I just cancled the net because it was a waste of time to even try.

I did not mind the day off.  Brews and BBQ were the order of the day.

IN RE to the original poster "This thread is NOT for the considerate contester that avoids conflicting with existing QSOs"

I would like to inform you sir that if a statin is engaging in that which you state then they are definately NOT a serious dedicated contest person.  Being polite will many times NOT feed the contact points and will NOT get you the position of the primary goal of any contest NO 1.  Ms Conteniality is nothing more than a pretty looser.

WELCOME to the world of contesting.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »

Wheather it's called a sport or contest the goal is obvious or it wouldn't be a contest. The fact of the matter is a contest is separate from casual operating and is nothing new. certain Article 97.101 rules don't apply to contesting because It just won't be a contest. All though there are enough rules implimented where it leaves plenty of room for folks to choose another of the many modes of this hobby to engange in and participate in. To say there aren't any contest rules and no where to enjoy any or the bands dureing a contest is false and only you are limiting your own self to other band operations and modes, not the contester!

So get your barbaque's out NET guys/gals and take a little break. It'll be over before you know it and it'll be back to your 7 day a week operations.

73!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 05:02:40 AM »

N5LRZ,

"In major international contests there are no rules. "

This is totally, FALSE!
KI6DCN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »

I would like to say the contesters of this Sweepstakes weekend were as rude as I've ever herd on my radio. No regard for anyone, nets, QSO's. They just wanted to make a contact at any cost.
Ron KI6DCN
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »

KI6DCN,

When you drive to the local shopping mall on a Friday afternoon in February, traffic is pretty light and it's easy to find a parking space.  Drivers are relaxed, most are openly congenial, and the pace is casual.  Stores would go bankrupt with that kind of business traffic.

When you drive to the mall on Friday afternoon the day after Thanksgiving, traffic is horrible and it's almost impossible to find a place to park.  Drivers are stressed, some are rude, and competition is intense.  Many stores make enough money during the holiday season to sustain them throughout the whole year.

Now then, please explain for us the difference between that situation and a major contest like Sweepstakes ... especially when SSB takes up so much bandwidth (kind of like driving a motorhome to the mall on Black Friday).  Ham radio would be a pretty sparse hobby if the only activity all the time was a few nets and some weekly skeds between friends.

Like it or not, contesting by far generates the most activity on the bands (most of it from people who never submit a log), even if it is all crammed into the weekends, and EVERY ONE OF THE PARTICIPANTS IS SUFFERING EVERY BIT AS MUCH FROM THE CROWDING AND QRM AS YOU ARE!  Why do you think you should be treated any differently?  Grow up.

Dave   AB7E
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »

AB7E,

Well said! Shameful thing is I bet he doesn't even get it. It's all about the NETS and me me me whinning!

When will logic be logical to the illogical?

73!
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 04:16:30 AM »

Charles,

I started the PAQSO party on 3.840. When I started the frequency was clear. It was only after the pile-up developed did other ops complain. I made the mistake of running a split and not checking to see if the frequency was in use. Yes you are right. It was very inconsiderate and dumb of me. To the folks that I qrmed when I was in split mode I sincerly apologize.
Within 5 minutes, (NOT TWO HOURS) I returned back to the original 3.840 frequency where I started.

I learned a great deal in that contest. And it will show when I apply the wisdom that I gained in the mistakes I made.

What I don't get is how you can sit up here and trash people. What, am I the only one in history that made a mistake?  Are you telling me that you have never made your own share of mistakes. I have an e-mail address, and it can be accessed through qrz.com. You could have dropped me an e-mail to tell me a better way of handling a massive pile-up that I had. But instead you would rather talk smack about others.

Good for you. You did the right thing.

This is justa  guess, but my guess is the tuner uppers and whiners have a regular schedule or group that meets near the frequency you picked and decided you had no rght there even though your were there first that evening. This happens to me frequenctly on 75. I can listen for hours and then when I call somone "waiting" pops up to tell me the frequency is reserved.

On 40 they call this a net when it is more than two people. The band is so full of fake "nets" there is no room to operate some hours, worse yet none of the nets have VFO's.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »

"My entry is NB3K "

Wow, you might want to grow a pair, and don't hide behide a monitor. Calling guys out like this is immature at best.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: