The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is there a trainer that...  (Read 562 times)
KL5L

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »

I have a koch trainer from G4FON but it does something that I cannot get around.

it plays the cw tones, then types the letter. I get that this is how it works in real life. you hear the tones, then form the letter in your mind.

However...

what is really happening is while it is showing a letter it is playing the next set of tones. so I see a 'M' while hearing the tones for a 'K'. This is like showing a picture of a cat while saying dog. it's F*ing with my head.

Is there a trainer that will show a letter while showing the tones associated with that letter?
KL5L

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »

last sentence should have read:

Is there a trainer that will show a letter while playing the tones associated with that letter?
K3GBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 02:56:02 AM »

Have you tried http://aa9pw.com/morsecode/

73 de George K3GBB
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:54:08 AM »

Is there a trainer that will show a letter while showing the tones associated with that letter?

That may be the reason that it is according to my opinion a very bad idea to learn Morse code with a decoder, because the last showed character is not the character you are receiving.

Of course you may use ARRL http://www.arrl.org/5-wpm-code-archive available at speeds up to 40 wpm.
You can print out or show the txt files on your screen, and so follow the sound with the text.

I remember long time ago verifying code sound tapes with the text as a much higher speed then I could copy in those days at the Veron club station before actual transmission, and what I learned was that I could actually increase my copy speed by just checking received QRQ code abt 40 wpm  with the print out.

It turns out that by those checking jobs, my speed on plain text copy of unknown received text was increased, somewhat from 25 to 30 wpm without exercising. I remember the figures but are not sure after so many years.

For learning headcopy it may be of importance to read a text character by character without showing neighboring characters.

For that reason many years ago I published the Speller. It shows one character of a text and you can choose with a jumper whether you want to hear the sound of that character during display OR hear the next character during the display.
Look at https://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/pdfbestanden/speller.pdf
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:08:30 AM by PA0WV » Logged

KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:52:15 AM »

The delay is there so you can check your answer.
   You will get used to how it works only by using it.
   Once you have the code down you will likely not even look at it much.
   I let mine play QSO Text File es set the timer for 60 minutes while I take a nap on my couch.
   Very good feature is u can play just the characters that you are troubled with and drill to you
   have them cinched. The program is very flexible and you learn at your own rate.
   There is no program that will do the heavy lifting and exercise for us. It's up to us to apply it.
   Learning Morse and mastering it at greater speeds is an ongoing project.

OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 08:55:22 AM »

You could try the Morse Machine by G4ILO. It starts with 4 letters I think and repeat each until you press the right key. The better you get the more letters/numbers/punctuation is added.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 03:13:47 PM »

W5YI code trainer , or you might try aldo.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:14:01 AM »

JUST DO IT!
Many many tutoring options leave nothing to be done but APPLLY.   Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: