Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Tech + training nets exist?  (Read 4659 times)
AUG4EXAM

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2001, 12:27:17 PM »

I just read the ARRL results of the Straight Key Night.  I will not be content with VHF/UHF privelages, and will a Tech +, registered or not, soon.

Are there any Tech + training nets similar to Novice training nets, as told my the ARRL SKN report?

Note: I really will have my CSCE for the 5wpm element wether I am in any database or not. Then on to General.
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2001, 02:55:34 PM »

If you have an HF radio, you might want to check this out:

http://www.eham.net/calendar/details/1115
AUG4EXAM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2001, 04:09:19 PM »

Thanks for your response.  My question is VERY premature...I don't have my old tube rx fixed, I don't have my Tech plus yet, and probably the longest term problem is I don't have a tx, and am hoping to build QRP W1FB transmitters. Oh well, I will ask again when I can get on the air.

Ed
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2001, 11:13:39 PM »

Great that you want to improve your CW. The best advice for anyone is to get on the air and make contacts. You gotta be patient, because fine CW ops are made, not born. Practice your sending as well as your copying. Make your characters properly, put space between them, and also space between your words. Use good tempo as good sending is a lot like playing a musical instrument. It is great that you are starting out on a hand key, as in my opinion, that is the way to start, because you are forced to make your characters properly or else you sound just terrible. I think my first 1,200 or so CW contacts were with a straight key, and until you get over 15 wpm or so, they are so cool, but when you get faster, they can really tire your arm out, especially if you make a lot of contacts. There are all kinds of tricks they will tell you about ways to ease the strain on your arm, but at some point you will want to go to paddles most likely. Don't worry about speed. It will come on its own. Emphasize quality over quantity. Make contacts EVERY day. CW is a language, and the more you use a language and develop a vocabulary, the better you will get. I would be happy to set up a sked with you for practice if you like. There are plenty of CW ops out there who will slow down for you, so don't sweat the ones who are too proud or arrogant to give you a comfortable QSO. Good luck. Richard, n5xm@arrl.net
AUG4EXAM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2001, 11:30:18 AM »

Well, thanks for the on air offer! Just passed my Tech, but it will be a long time before I am on the HF bands.  Antennas are a problem for me, but I got an idea I am going to try.  My worst fear is QRP into a low efficiency antenna, and no power left, but I am going to give a try!  Thanks.
N9BOR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 05:27:26 PM »

Slow Speed Code Practice Net
(It's a complete Code Practice System; nothing else to buy)

If you're interested in improving your code skills (and who isn't?), Metro
Amateur Radio Club (MAC) would like to be of assistance. Three times a month
we provide on-the-air practice. You don't have to be a MAC member to
participate.

The net operates on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wednesday of the month at 7:00 P.M.
local (currently 0000 Z). We meet on 7.138 MHz (plus or minus QRM). Listen
for CQ MAC and then send your callsign at YOUR speed. The net will QRS to
the slowest op. We don't use any special net protocol to keep things simple.
Although this net was developed to help Chicago area hams, we regularly have
out of state check-ins. If you are a FISTS member, feel free to exchange
your numbers with other participants.

Next Net:
Wednesday, August 15, 2001
Time:  7:00 P.M. (central)
Frequency:  +/- 7.138 MHz
Net Control: Philip, K9PL
Listen for CQ MAC then send your callsign

If you have any questions, please let us know via e-mail at [mailto:mac@qsl.net] or visit the MAC website at http://www.qsl.net/mac
DL1OLI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2001, 05:20:07 AM »

Hello,

over a month ago I passed my code Test and got my full HF licence. Now I Try to improve my cw skill. I learned 9wpm with farnsworth and can nearly copy abt. 8wpm.

Are there any "slow" CW nets on this side of the pod ?
Or is there a "slow CW" frequency ?

I noticed that at 14050KHz are sometimes are QRS
Stations QRV.

Any Tips ?

Bye

Oli
DL1OLI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: