Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info and Accessories on Kenwood TH-D72A  (Read 2331 times)
K4TQL

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:46:34 PM »

I just received a Kenwood TH-D72A HT.  Won it at a hamfest.  Appears to be a really nice rig.  So, I start looking around for accessories.  All you get with the basic package is the AC  Charger.  Man, is Kenwood ever proud of their accessories!  The DC (car) charger is in excess of $40.  The DC power cable is $20.  The speaker/mike starts at about $35 and goes as high as $75.  Now, I know this rig is expensive, but these prices are ridiculous especially when an MFJ mike that is supposed to fit Kenwood's stuff starts at $16 (not  that their stuff is all that great quality).  So, I look to see if I can fabricate some of this stuff.  Guess what!  No schmatics, no connector diagrams!  This is a $500 radio.  You would think that they would put this stuff in the manual.  Icom does or at least did.

So, what is so special about the DC charger that makes it worth $40!  It appears that it might have a noise filter which might not be necessary, a standard "cigarette lighter" connector and a coaxial DC connector along with some cable.  $10 bucks retail tops.  Is there anything special in it?  The DC power cable is similar, two spade lugs, two inline fuse holders and a DC coaxial connector.  5 bucks retail tops.  Unless someone has info to the contrary, I think that I'll make these two item.  The speaker mike I'll cast around for.  I just can't see spending all that dough for this item.

So, if someone can answer my questions about the DC cables, I'll let you know how things go.  Oh, and if you have connection diagrams for this baby, it would be appreciated.

K4TQL
KB8YVC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »

It shares the DC accessories and speaker-mics with the TH-F6A and the TH-79A for sure.  The owners manual for the TH-79 shows the speaker-mic pin out.  Not sure of the size of the DC plug, but Radio Shack sells a plug that fits.

See page 56 of the manual(Adobe says page 62?).

http://www.iw2nmx.it/Kenwood%20-%20Trio/TH-79%20Instruction%20and%20Service%20Manuals%20plus%20mods/TH-79%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: