Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery Recommendations for Emerg Power for Shack  (Read 650 times)
KC2NYU

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »

I use an MFJ 4245 Switching Power Supply running to a RigRunner 4800 DC power strip to run my shack Ham gear. I recently got a West Mountain PWRGate PG40s Backup Power System. It will supply power (up to 40A) to the RigRunner power strip from either my power supply or a battery. It switches automatically to the battery if house power and therefore the DC power supply is lost. It has a built in 4 stage battery charger with selectable current rates of 1,4,7 or 10.

My question to you all, is what would be the best type of battery for this application and for use inside the house. I am not interested in a large heavy Deep Cycle Marine battery. I have read about both Gel and AGM batteries but looking for recommendations from someone who might have a similar setup. Brand or model numbers would be good too.

Thx and 73
Paul
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »

Hi Paul,

I have a Super Powergate Plus and 4 agm/nonspillable batteries in parallel. It has an amber LED for 'float' mode, so I can tell at a glance that the batteries are OK and not being overcharged.

I would suggest at least 2 batteries in parallel. These are group 24 size, about 65 Amp-hr each. I get them surplus from the computer center of the local college. They periodically buy new batteries for their huge UPS systems and give the old ones away to Hams.

New batteries of this size are pricey. Another source for used ones might be a service center for those mobility chairs.

It's a tradeoff between how much reserve capacity you want and how much you can afford.

Mark

N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

I am running 2 UPS12-370FR in parallel (100AH each) 370WPC.
Each battery positive term has a 50Amp fuse in series with the load
I have a blocking diode in series with the Positive wire to the batteries from the power supply set
to 13.65Vdc + .7Vdc

Just my 2 cents

N4HRA
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:25:24 AM »

I recall the that Powergate charge profile is intended for SLA batteries, so using a flooded marine battery probably wouldn't be appropriate anyway.

You can take your pick of either AGM or gel.  AGM's have an advantage of having lower internal impedance which can be important under heavy load conditions (dozens to hundreds of amps) but in typical ham applications either gel or AGM will work equally well.  Like N1LO says, it comes down to how many Ah you need, and how much you're willing to pay.  Pay attention to cabling, and fusing practice.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: