Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I want in my next APRS  (Read 6875 times)
KD5KFL

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:55:49 AM »

I want two things in my next APRS. I see no point in buying another tracker until these come along:

1) Brake light input. PTT on brake release. With an indication that it actually happens. I have a relay in my baja bug for this purpose. It works better than transmitting at random intervals, but it gives no indication that it is transmitting

2) A remote LED mount. So I can put the tracker where it fits best, and the LEDs where I can see them. this would be a good place for a switch to choose between low detail road mode and high detail off road configuration.

Anybody else got things you want?
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »

I want two things in my next APRS. I see no point in buying another tracker until these come along:

1) Brake light input. PTT on brake release. With an indication that it actually happens. I have a relay in my baja bug for this purpose. It works better than transmitting at random intervals, but it gives no indication that it is transmitting

Anybody else got things you want?

Pretty much the same could be achieved by setting the tracker to transmit whenever acceleration is detected (that's a change in velocity, or in direction). This is trivial to implement in code and several AVL trackers has a  setting for controlling that feature. And you need not to touch your car's electrical system.

As for the LED, well, you can remove or lever up one leg of the internal one and install a remote led outside.

73 de Fer

KD5KFL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »

Wow. Just... Wow. You have packed a great deal of humor into very few words

Pretty much the same could be achieved by setting the tracker to transmit whenever acceleration is detected (that's a change in velocity, or in direction).
He says to the Tech writer / Technical trainer at a DoD high explosives research facility who teaches people how accelerometers and other transducers work. I have installed about 20,000 accelerometers in my career. transmitting on a change in velocity or direction in a car that travels 45 MPH on dirt roads - about every 6 seconds.

And you need not to touch your car's electrical system.
Dude, it's a Baja Bug. everything is modified. 3 - 2 meter radios, a CB, an HF rig, inverter, stereo, 6 antennas, there are about 20 yards of extra wiring in there now.

you can remove or lever up one leg of the internal one and install a remote led outside.
and it will look like a baboons backside. the guy who has cases made up commercially and silkscreened in batches of 1000 generally makes it look better than the guy who cuts up a Radio Shack PCB with a Dremel and mounts it with foam double sided tape.
W5SYF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

With all this technical know how, it seems like you should just make your own!!  Shocked
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »

Wow. Just... Wow. You have packed a great deal of humor into very few words

Pretty much the same could be achieved by setting the tracker to transmit whenever acceleration is detected (that's a change in velocity, or in direction).
He says to the Tech writer / Technical trainer at a DoD high explosives research facility who teaches people how accelerometers and other transducers work. I have installed about 20,000 accelerometers in my career.
Congratulations.

transmitting on a change in velocity or direction in a car that travels 45 MPH on dirt roads - about every 6 seconds.

You didn't specified that. Anyway, if you could not detect the change in velocity/direction from the GPS NEMEA sentences, then there's no point in transmitting them over because they will be essentially the same positions. If they are different, then the tracker's firmware could do the math AND filter the dups, which IMHO is more economic, portable and not relies in a mechanical interface.

And you need not to touch your car's electrical system.
Dude, it's a Baja Bug. everything is modified. 3 - 2 meter radios, a CB, an HF rig, inverter, stereo, 6 antennas, there are about 20 yards of extra wiring in there now.

About every little tracker out there have a test push-button or auxiliary input. It's not difficult for you to wire it to the brake switch.

you can remove or lever up one leg of the internal one and install a remote led outside.
and it will look like a baboons backside. the guy who has cases made up commercially and silkscreened in batches of 1000 generally makes it look better than the guy who cuts up a Radio Shack PCB with a Dremel and mounts it with foam double sided tape.
Sorry, I didn't though that to drill a 3 or 5mm hole for a LED needed such mess.

73 de Fer
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 07:55:16 AM »

Its a simple matter of firmware - no hardware changes required. As long as the position is changing (indicating motion), the unit transmits at the specified interval. If the positions are all within a specified circle (100m) then you are considered stationary and not updates are transmitted (or transmitted at a much slower rate).
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »

"Never build a project because it would fail to meet someone elses expectations and standards"  Umm, yeah.  iGreat philosphy.    Sad

KD5KFL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »

Way too many people with reading comprehension problems in this post.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »

Why all the anger?  The posts are interesting.

Vince

Vince
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:31:37 AM »

I suppose if you're looking for something to complain about, APRS is as good a topic as anything. But if you're looking for solutions, I haven't seen anything that either doesn't already exist or couldn't be fabricated, especially by someone who's already done a lot of fabrication already.

For Brake pedal activation, isn't that what the Mic-e protocol/interface was designed for (to transmit packets at the end of a transmission)? If not, there must be a dozen other ways to make that happen using existing trackers.

As far as remoting the indicators, I see two options:

1) Mount the tracker to a custom faceplate such that the LEDs are visible. You could add any other controls you wanted as well.

2) or just remote the indicators

To prevent the "baboon backside" syndrome, check out http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/. Sure the guy who does a 1000 of them might get them cheaper per unit, but if you're the only one in the world who wants one, this might be a faster option.

I guess I don't see why something that seems to have a rather simple solution is generating so much friction.
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

Seems to me that it could be done in code. Use "Smart Beaconing" such as that used to detect cornering, and which changes the beaconing rate based on speed. But also with the setting that it never transmits more often than, say, 60 or 120 second intervals. My Kenwood D-710A does that.

I'd love to see pictures! A Baja Bug loaded with more radio equipment than the car itself is worth! (Hmmm. Wait a minute. That describes MY car!)

Dave AD7DB.
KD5KFL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 07:08:44 AM »

Why all the anger? The posts are interesting.

no anger, just a statement of an observation.

I guess I don't see why something that seems to have a rather simple solution is generating so much friction.

Egos, attitudes and arrogance. those with the egos, attitudes and arrogance will pretend they are just fine and I am the problem.

I'd love to see pictures! A Baja Bug loaded with more radio equipment than the car itself is worth! (Hmmm. Wait a minute. That describes MY car!)

you assume that the radios are valuable. in fact, they are swap meet / ham fest / ebay cheapos suitable for bashing about on limestone forest sevice roads. expendable commo...

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/kd5kfl/baja/DSC00316.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/kd5kfl/baja/DSC00315.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/kd5kfl/baja/DSC00314.jpg

HF gear is not mounted; that is operated from a folding table beside the road.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:10:21 AM by KD5KFL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: