Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TM241A mic has lost some of its functions. HELP  (Read 828 times)
KC5AQO

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »

The numbers on my TM241A mic have given up the ghost. The Up, Down, vfo, mr, and call work just fine along with the transmit button, but everything else is dead. How hard to take the mike apart (and put it back together Wink) and clean the contacts, or whatever??? I'm used to working on small parts, as wristwatch repair is another hobby of mine. Any help appreciated.
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »

I'm not an electronics expert but I have had some luck taking the rubber keypad out and cleaning the reverse side of it with a damp cloth. Sometimes they will get dirt or goo buildup and just wont make contact. I would suggest you be gentle since their is usually a conductive coating on the back of the number keys. I guess it is possible to damage the coating while cleaning. I think you can buy the coating and repaint it on the back of the keys and that would probably be the best fix. I have never tried it but maybe someone with a little more experience than myself can give you a better answer.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »

I have cleaned these type keypads numerous time, just not on the mics. Use alcohol, and clean both the PCB and the membrane. My guess is that the membrane may be worn.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:28:22 PM »

I've been meaning to clean the keypad on mine so I finally got a round tuit this evening.

Absolute no-brainer. Figure 15 minutes and that includes a 10 minute break. Three screws on the back come out, there are three screws holding the PC board in place, remove the PC board and you're looking at the backside of the keypad and the contact points. Spray a Q-Tip with a little WD-40 and wipe down the pads on the PC board. Mine appeared to be gold plated (!) and they really shine when they're clean. I also wetted the other end of the Q-Tip with WD-40 and used it to wipe the backside of the keypad nubbins. Don't soak anything, just enough wetness to loosen and hold any dust / crud that might need to come out.

Dust the keypad parts with a paintbrush & blow any dust out of the crannies before re-assembling. Make sure the electret mic element is in the tube mount and the wiring harness is dressed properly so it can't get pinched. Press the PTT lever slightly inward as you re-assemble the back plate otherwise it may snag between the two halves.

Aside from that, nothin' tuit.

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: