Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Distance Records ??  (Read 6671 times)
2M0YCG

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »

Hi all, Does anyone in the forum know where or if there are any QRP distance records and what they are ? As i have recently made a QRP - (5 Watt) contact with Ian VK3MO via Long Path - A total distance of 23103.7 Kilometres. I'm just trying to find other distance records. As i have recorded my QSO and added it to YouTube you can view it here at the following link below....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_JMPwiFQ4

I was using my Yaesu FT-817 and a Cobwebb Antenna @ about 25 Foot AGL.

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

It's going to be tough to beat the Pioneer and Voyager space probes!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »

I remember a cover story in Popular Electronics in the late 1950s where Bill Orr, W6SAI worked WAC with 96 milliwatts.  No doubt it's been done with far less power many times since.

CQWW CW QRP all-bands record was set in 1999 from Aruba:
P40W (W2GD)   Score 5,024,800   QSOs 3,277    Zones 137   Countries 413 (note that those are the total on all bands).

Single band record  (10 meters in 2001)
Station:6Y1A (K2KW)   score 742,154   QSOs: 2,508   Zones: 30   Countries: 97

Single band QRP record for 160 meters: C6ARR  17 zones and 65 countries!!!!

Single band QRP DXCC has been done several times on SSB during a CQWW weekend.  

---------
Don't know what the distance record is but QRP is a snap... from the Caribbean... in a major contest... on CW....with big antennas...at the peak of a great sunspot cycle.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:30:22 PM by K0OD » Logged
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »

I think the current ham QRP distance record is about 478,000 miles.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:28 AM »

Ian VK3MO uses  4 X 5 element  stacked yagis on a 200 ft tower. I have heard  him testing his system working  Europeans on 100 milliwatts both ways. I doubt very much if you have a record.  I have worked VK with my HFmanpack and its 9ft whip running 20 watts. I have had numerous contacts with VK running 1 watt. When I was holiday in the Pacific i worked 9A9A(a big big big gun) with a Miracle whip and 5 watts with a battery powered K2.  The only people who keep records of these events is the HFPACK group.

If you worked a average ham station with 5 watts I would have more envy, working someone with a 200 ft tower with antennas that have 20 decibels of gain hardly ranks as a QRP achievement. But its  nice that you had the QSO.

Hi all, Does anyone in the forum know where or if there are any QRP distance records and what they are ? As i have recently made a QRP - (5 Watt) contact with Ian VK3MO via Long Path - A total distance of 23103.7 Kilometres. I'm just trying to find other distance records. As i have recorded my QSO and added it to YouTube you can view it here at the following link below....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE_JMPwiFQ4

I was using my Yaesu FT-817 and a Cobwebb Antenna @ about 25 Foot AGL.

2M0YCG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:16:24 AM »

Thanks all for you're replys  Smiley
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »

Back when 10 was really hot I worked a central African station who was using one of those HF handhelds with a small whip on top. I think his power was less than a watt. I could barely hear him; he said I was way over S-9 with my KW and yagi.

I note in your youtube video that the VK has trouble getting your call for the "Q-R-P" you keep repeating. I hear that all the time on the air. Junk like "this is K0RPQ slant QRP"... I repeat...

I work some QRP but sometimes I feel guilty when I make the other guy do a ton of work to pull out my signal.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

I work some QRP but sometimes I feel guilty when I make the other guy do a ton of work to pull out my signal.

Don't discount the possibility that the other guy will get a real kick out of pulling out your signal.... especially on the low bands where people take pride in building up their weak signal reception especially.

One of my most memorable contacts was copying G3ROO on 80m CW when he was running some old WWII transmitter that put out 3W or so.   G3ROO has pretty good antennas, but still, I was happy to be able to hear a few watts out of England. 

I think if I took the time to build a big array of antennas that could hear a 5W and hamstick station nearly anywhere on the globe, and I only ever got called by kilowatt+tribander stations with 40dB signal to noise ratio, I'd get bored and wish I hadn't spent so much time and money on antennas.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »

And there is a lot to be gained by using a mode that uses your meagre power more effectively, e.g. Olivia, Contestia, THOR, DominoEX/FEC, etc. If I can hear them clearly I can usually work them at the 5W level.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »

And there is a lot to be gained by using a mode that uses your meagre power more effectively, e.g. Olivia, Contestia, THOR, DominoEX/FEC, etc. If I can hear them clearly I can usually work them at the 5W level.

In past I have worked MFSK stations with solid copys when I could not really hear them well with my ears.  Same with Pactor.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »

I have worked Brisbane Australia from South Carolina with 1 watt from a home brew transmitter powered by flashlight batteries.  This is about 12,000 miles.  My signal report was 579.  This is far from a record.  Many have done it will less power.

Dick  AD4U
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 06:30:35 AM »

Go to QRP International's web site and see what they say. The distance factor alone is not the only factor that counts, but the miles per watt. QRPI has been the primary international qrp organization for over 50 years.
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »

I have worked Brisbane Australia from South Carolina with 1 watt from a home brew transmitter powered by flashlight batteries.  This is about 12,000 miles.  My signal report was 579.  This is far from a record.  Many have done it will less power.

Dick  AD4U
Dick, that's a neat story, thanks. I don't 'chase' QRP stuff but as a relatively new op have had a couple memorable ones with my FT817. One was my first QSO, WI to Pensacola CW before I understood the power icons on the radio and didn't realize I'd been running the first month on 2.5w thru the speaker wire into the front maple tree. The other was an early morn CW on 30m and although he was much faster than I, he had pretty code & spacing so I pulled out his call pretty easily. ("we're not in Kansas anymore...why isn't there a pileup?") I called him back, he graciously cut his speed in half & we exchanged good signal reports & QTH - he was from the Seychelles. That's when I realized I'd forgotten to punch the <on> button for the 817's companion THP amp, 45w that weren't needed after all at that particular moment in time.

Not anything like records, but very satisfying from a little radio and a home constructed OCFD. I've also had 600w stations fade on me with the breeze, so the coin flips both ways. I try to remember the something special about the contact rather than just the numbers.  As you point out, serious QRP'ers have demonstrated some amazing things, yourself included. At this point in my ham career if I hit Brisbane with anything I'd think that pretty special.

What I really like is being able to reliably hit the buddy 80 miles away if needed QRP w/battery 'cause the gent in the Indian Ocean won't come help me in the event of a disaster, the neighbor will. And as K0OD points out, remembering my own "days before wattage" I'll sometimes cruise a QRP freq for someone pounding brass hoping someone will bother to answer them. Heck, answering the big signals is easy.

Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »

I use Hamsticks configured as dipoles on a small tripod. I have sets for 80, 40, 20, 10. My rig is a Icom 703. The setup works very well as a portable station.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »

Back when 10 was really hot I worked a central African station who was using one of those HF handhelds with a small whip on top. I think his power was less than a watt. I could barely hear him; he said I was way over S-9 with my KW and yagi.

I note in your youtube video that the VK has trouble getting your call for the "Q-R-P" you keep repeating. I hear that all the time on the air. Junk like "this is K0RPQ slant QRP"... I repeat...

I agree with Dan, N3OX. Don't feel guilty at all. Almost all amateur ops would go through a little more work to give a QRPer a QSO. (Maybe there are a few that are so wrapped in themselves they forget the comradary.) I get QSLs all the time noting my power and nice comments from the other op. (I don't do the "/QRP" thing except maybe in a QRP contest or trying to raise another QRPer on the QRP freqs.) But for DXing ans regular contesting I don't mention. Too time consuming and too confusing especially ifthe other guy runs a high rate. Just send your call, get in, and get out. Then send a QSL card with the revelent info and I bet you will see your fair share of compliments about you're station.

The bonus for the receiving station is that he has a neat station with the ears to pick up QRP stations. And the practice he gets listening to low power stations will be useful at some point because somewhere down the road a rare station will come on the air and they won't be S9+10 all the time.

After all these years I still haven't got over the shock of radiatimg a 5 watt (or less) signal from my antenna and have it travel around the world to some strange land. Ham radio is great!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: