Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youkits TJ5A  (Read 10247 times)
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »

Hi guys, while not really a QRP radio, i thought i would ask here because it is more likley going to be used by SOTA, WWFF etc low power, efficient radio type ops. Had anyone bought this radio yet, if so how have you found it to use etc. I am thinking of buying one to use as a portable SOTA, WWFF radio and would really like to hear form those who have bought the radio to see if it is worth the time and money.

Cheers,

Rob.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »

A lot of coin for a SSB only rig especially if your into somewhat ruff and tumble SOTA ops but I suppose that could be remedied by the optional $15.00 soft sided mil spec man pack case.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »

A lot of coin for a SSB only rig

It says it does CW to 0 to 10 Watt.

However it is missing the 160, 80, 60, 30, 17 and 12 meter bands. For some, that could be a deal killer right there.

I like the relatively inexpensive bolt on battery pack, (compared to what the SGC 2020 battery pack cost and that is if you were able to find one).

Right now this is the only 20 watt HF radio on the market. The last 20 watt HF radio was the SGC-2020, it was retired almost 10 years ago. But unlike this, the SGC-2020 covered all the ham bands.

Reliability? That remains to be seen. Would I buy one? Maybe I would. I would like to see an antenna jack and the mic jack on the front panel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price:$399 (no battery)
TJ5A fully assembled version, comes with custom made speaker handmic
Assembled version in stock and ready to ship.

custom made 4400mAh lithium battery pack with charger  $39
military version radio back, holding TJ5A with battery pack $15
500Hz CW audio filter(kit, soldering job needed) $19

RX:3.500-30.000Mhz (broardband RX is available by adjusting the jump cap)

Tx:7.000-7.3000Mhz, 14.000-14.350Mhz,21.000-21.450Mhz, 28.000-29.700Mhz

High performance AGC
features strong signal handing ability

+/- 120Hz RIT is available

DDS controlled, LCD display,heavy duty metal case

SSB: 0.25-20W,

CW:0.1-10W output adjustable,rx sensitivity 0.2uV

10Hz,100Hz,1KhHz,10KHz,100KHz tuning rate available

Dual VFO with 40 memories

Memory transfer to VFO

Crystal IF filter 2.4K

RX:250MA, TX:4A

size:180mm wide x 58mm high x 200mm deep, battery case deep 35mm

weight: 1500g without battery

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »

A little bit of hype there,

As I don't think AGC gives a receiver "strong signal handling ability".  For the latter that usually refers to the performance of the first mixer and amplifier stage.   That is what helps separate strong from weak signals when they are close together.

Mark.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:47 AM »

Re: W4KYR

My bad, missed the CW mode info. For me I'll stick with the tried and proven for ruggedness/band versatility, price to function ratio etc. As for the 20 watts, those of us involved in practical on air use in such non contest type operations with 5 to 10 watts under average conditions will yield just as many contacts although you may have to settle for an occasional 479 rather than a 599.
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »

A lot of coin for a SSB only rig

It says it does CW to 0 to 10 Watt.

However it is missing the 160, 80, 60, 30, 17 and 12 meter bands. For some, that could be a deal killer right there.

My license only allows me 80, 40, 15 and 10M @10w on HF, so WARC etc is not a big deal for me, so this radio will do everything i want 40, 15 and 10. So anyone used one of these yet? I would really like to hear from those who have bought and operated one.

Cheers,

Rob.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »

Missing 17 and 30 means non-purchase, for me. So, my travel rig (non-SOTA applications!) will continue to be the FT-817. Anyway, I have enough QRP rigs to last the rest of my senior-senior citizen life.
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »

Giving this thread a bump, still wanting to hear from anyone who has bought and used this radio.

Cheers,

Rob.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »

There are several Youkits TJ5A videos on Youtube, it is someone trying out the radio.

VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »

There are several Youkits TJ5A videos on Youtube, it is someone trying out the radio.

Aye, and they have all been uploaded by Yimin the owner of YouKits and, well, you expect him to show his product in a good light as these are promotional videos. I know the radio works, that is obvious from the videos, but that is not helpful when what I am trying to discover is how this radio performs in situations that it was designed to be used, IE Portable and Field use.

So if anyone has any REAL WORLD experience with this radio, I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions about the radio.

Cheers,

Rob.
WM7WM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »

My new TJ5A and Opek antenna are in the mail as I write this. I will try to upload a review of the radio both here and on YouTube. Seems like it will be a fun little rig for the money. Plus, there's room to tinker with it a bit. I'd like to add an internal tuner (elecraft kit) and a BFI DSP if there's enough room in the case. I'll be running it from both the optional battery/case and an external lithium iron oxide 12ah battery I bought. I'm also going to add the LNR Endfed Quad which coincidentally covers the exact same bands as the TJ5A. Give me about a week to get the info out. 73
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »

My new TJ5A and Opek antenna are in the mail as I write this. I will try to upload a review of the radio both here and on YouTube. Seems like it will be a fun little rig for the money. Plus, there's room to tinker with it a bit. I'd like to add an internal tuner (elecraft kit) and a BFI DSP if there's enough room in the case. I'll be running it from both the optional battery/case and an external lithium iron oxide 12ah battery I bought. I'm also going to add the LNR Endfed Quad which coincidentally covers the exact same bands as the TJ5A. Give me about a week to get the info out. 73

Awesome, I look forward to hearing your views on the use of the radio in the field. By the time you have used it and reported on it, mine should have arrived, just going to buy it and be done with it. Smiley
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 04:12:34 AM »

Please also post your reviews in the reviews section as well as here.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/recent

Thanks

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 05:57:30 AM »

Did you get the radio yet?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: