Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-817ND Battery  (Read 6635 times)
NS8Q

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:34:40 AM »

I just received my new used FT-817ND today!!  What a sweet little rig!!  One question though, when I plug the charger into the back of the radio, the display tells me how much time is left before I have a full charge.  If I unplug it and plug it back in later, the counter resets itself back to 8 hours.  Does the radio know that it had already been charging for a couple of hours already and take that into consideration when it gets to the point of finishing the charge?  I'm concerned it may overcharge the battery if I leave it plugged in overnight.

CHRIS / KC8CAJ
N3YZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »

Chris, the time shown is the charge time remaining since you started a charge session. It is not in any way a sense of the battery charge.

Take a look at the manual, page 15 on CHG, and page 61 on Memory Item #11, time to charge.

I usually charge a low battery for 6 hours. The voltage display then reads about 11-12v. I run it until the voltage shows about 9 or less, then recharge again. The low power display, page 15, usually shows itself at about 8v.

Have fun with the FT-817 es 73. John, Annapolis, MD

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »

What battery are you guys using and at what voltage and Ma rating?

Other question I have is how long are they lasting you in continuous use and at what wattage output setting?
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »

Thanks John for your insight.

Chris, the time shown is the charge time remaining since you started a charge session. It is not in any way a sense of the battery charge.

Maybe I wasn't 100% clear when I wrote the question.  According to the manual with the FB-85 battery, it should take 8 hours to get a full charge.  The time counts down from 8 to 0 when it's finished.  My question is, if you have a half-charge on the battery, shouldn't it only take 4 hours to charge and then shut off the charging circuit, or does it run for the full 8 hours?

What battery are you guys using and at what voltage and Ma rating?

Other question I have is how long are they lasting you in continuous use and at what wattage output setting?

I just received the radio and haven't really used it enough to see how long the battery lasts.  I can tell you that it came with the stock FNB-85 Ni-MH (9.6V, 1400 mAh) Battery Pack.  It also comes with a Battery Case to hold 8 "AA" alkalines, which is kinda cool if you want to use your own rechargeable batteries and charger.  Actually, that might be the best thing for me to do, because I have some high capacity batteries with a quick charger.  I don't know, something to look into I guess.

Chris, KC8CAJ
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »

I tried a set of high capacity rechargeable AA battery's and don't expect much from them. The rig still soaks up to much amperage from them. Next 817 model they make they need to adapt a sensor so that all alumination to the radio is shut off to conserve like the Elecraft Kx1 and 2.
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »

I've been looking at the very reasonably priced gel-cell batteries.  They have a 12V 7amp/hour battery for $18 and the charger is another $39.  The battery itself is very small and can be placed in a backpack with no problem.  I think it weights around 6  lbs.  They also sell solar-panel chargers, but those may be overkill for just taking it to the park or to the back yard.
N3YZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »

Chris, thanks for the clarification. Got it now. Good question.

Frankly, I've never worried about it. Just set the charge time for 6 hrs. That charge time, splitting the difference among the CHG choices, has allowed me to charge the internal batteries no matter what the remaining charge. Its never overheated in well over 5 years of use.

For the FM LEO satellites I run portable using the FT-817, an Arrow yagi, and the internal batteries.

With regards to some other replies, I too have a 12AH battery that I use for contests.

Hope this helps. 73! John, Annapolis, MD
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »

I've been looking at the very reasonably priced gel-cell batteries.  They have a 12V 7amp/hour battery for $18 and the charger is another $39.  The battery itself is very small and can be placed in a backpack with no problem.  I think it weights around 6  lbs.  They also sell solar-panel chargers, but those may be overkill for just taking it to the park or to the back yard.
7ah should be plenty for your local trekking needs. I actually compared size & weight for some longer times away and decided to get a pair of 5ah. They were enough slimmer AND LIGHTER than a 7ah that it made a diff - and the thinner profile fit nicer into a go-bag I have for wx spotting. Then I could keep one on a slow charge if needed and have almost the same endurance. It was suggested to me on selecting a charger to get one that isn't going to output any more than 10% (and a bit less is better), say 700ma when charging a 7ah gel-cell. We've done that for charging the one that runs our bass club's weigh-in scale and it (and its spare) have lasted a very long time. Like paring knives; 2 is 1, 1 is none.

You probably know this already, but you will get some added endurance implementing a couple of the power-saving tips found here under Current Consumption.

Enjoy your 817 - amazing little rig!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:21:50 PM by KC9TNH » Logged

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »

Good comments on various battery options.

Has anyone tried the W4RT 2700mh One Plug Power+ (OPP-817+) battery pack and with what results?
AD7C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

CHRIS / KC8CAJ

Congrats on the FT-817ND.  You'll find it to be a very fun radio.

The battery charger 'time' in the 817 is nothing more than a countdown timer. There is no circuitry in the 817 that senses the charge status of the battery and start/stops charging.  If on 12V+ and the timer is counting down... it's charging.  You MUST be plugged into a +12v (or more) source for charging to occur. 

The stock NiMH pack for the 817 is rated at 1400mAh.  To slow charge that pack you typically would feed it 140ma (10% of its rated capacity) for about 12-15 hours.  The charge circuit on the 817, when on the timer (6 or 8 hours) has an output to the battery of about 180ma.  Slightly more than required for a standard slow charge.  Hence the reason it can charge the battery in 8 hours rather than the 12-15 a standard slow charge would require.

If you only discharge the battery 20% or 50%  and then set the charge timer to 6 or 8hrs and let it run you 'may' damage the battery... but probably not.  The battery can probably survive this slight overcharge without any detrimental effect from time-to-time.  However, overcharge it often and you will start to see a more rapid decline in the output of the battery.  It is best to run the internal battery down and only then activate the charging cycle.  If you want to recharge after only a partial discharge... I would recommend the 6 hour setting.

There is a great website with many technical notes about the 817: http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817pg.shtml
You can also join the Yahoo Discussion groups for the 817.  There are a LOT of helpful members.

Rich
KE7SAK

AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »

The 817 is a bit of a battery hog, but I used mine during Field Day at 5 watts out for 18 hours and 449 QSOs, and according to a Watts Up meter only used just over 8.5 amp hours, which was better than I thought I'd do.

I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to complete the contest using two 7AH batteries along with a set of 8 D-cells.  Oh, I was using the stock internal pack as well, which usually gets me about two hours of operation.

FWIW.

73 de Lee
www.aa4ga.com

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »

That's what I was asking for Lee. Thanks!

Great Blog on FD and QRP on your site.

73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: