Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History: QRP Clandestine op WWII (MADELEINE)  (Read 1435 times)
W8LV

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

Something to think about when you are operating QRP portable: Noor Un-Nisa Inayat Khan (MADELEINE) operated her set
in Occupied France during World War II:

www.dailymotion.com/video/x26113x_enemy-of-the-reich-the-noor-inayat-khan-story-480p-mp4_shortfilms

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »

Thanks for the link, an interesting story and wake up call especially in relation to current world events. We all know our individual capabilities and skill sets so plan accordingly gentlemen.
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »

Great program. Thank you for posting!
W8IFI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »

Very good contribution here. Enjoyed the article. I used to devour anything on intelligence and radio and cryptography when I was in high school. Two items come to mind along that line. Britain had some spies in Paris.  One of them was taking the subway. He looked up the stairway he was climbing and an elderly lady with one crutch was slowly making her way up ahead of him. Suddenly a group of German Officers came running down the steps. Suddenly her crutch slipped and an officer went tumbling down the steps. She muttered something under her breath and the Brit heard her. She said "third one today". Smiley

The second one is amusing too. The Brits commandeered every private boat they could get their hands on and would serve their need. One of these was a fair size private yacht that they fitted out with a couple of guns with the idea of using it as a patrol boat in the English channel. It was really foggy one night and the converted yacht commander realized through the wisps of fog that they were between two larger German war ships. So he alerted the crew, manned the guns and went like a speed boat between the ships firing at both as they raced through. I guess the German ships did a heck of a lot of damage to each other before reality set in.

oops....just thought of another. A U.S. submarine was patrolling merchant Japanese shipping lanes and  harbors they used. The sub slipped into a harbor and let go a couple torpedoes at a ship. They just missed the ship but torpedoes continued on and
slithered up the sloping beach and destroyed a passing munitions train. I guess it raised some eyebrows when they read the battle report. So many tons of munitions destroyed and a steam train by a submarine.

When the North Atlantic convoys were first protected by U.S. destroyers before war was officially declared. A destroyer sent a note back to it's home port. It was catchy and made the rounds of many ports. The message radioed was "sighted sub, sank same".  A few months later a merchant ship sent a message..."sighted sub,...glub, glub " and was never heard from again.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:15:47 AM »

They are not forgotten this side of the pond! Very brave women. Mostly English and French and most perished. Executed after torture. The allies owe much to them. RIP.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 04:21:06 AM »

I mean't to add that it was fortunate clandestine operators were active during  a period of good propagation during those war years. The QRP/p signals were much aided by that fact.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: