Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Distance Records ??  (Read 10236 times)
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 05:19:03 AM »

I agree that it is a mistake to tell the other operator that you are QRP unless he specifically asks about your station.
I can't tell you the number of times I have done this and AS SOON as I tell them how much power I am running, it ends the QSO. We can go back and forth 2-3 times, then I mention that I am QRP and pretty much every time the other op suddenly has trouble hearing me/QSB is getting bad.............73
This has happened to me so many times that you would think I would learn but I just did it again within the last couple days when I finished building my Small Wonder Labs Retro 75. This is as predictable as the sun coming up every morning in the East and setting in the West.

On the other hand, I have also done the opposite: many times. I simply did not mention that I was QRP and just continued on with the contact like there was nothing out of the ordinary.

Funny, I have also worked someone and never mentioned that I had been QRP. Then, after the QSO was over, communicated wtih the other op over the internet and as soon as I mentioned that I had been QRP he started telling me how I started to fade out at the end or something.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
K4OCE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »

I worked ZL2AFZ from North Carolina with 3 milliwatts

Had a 4 element Cubical Quad
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 02:45:16 AM »

WOW! I don't care how many element quad, that's amazing.
MEKONGRF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 03:14:49 AM »

Impressive. How do you measure 3 mW power? A mW RF Power Meter?

If I am not wrong - with 12 V output that is a current of 0.00025 A, or 0.25 mA. To measure such a small current - what meter would you use and how do one get a reliable reading?  Undecided
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »

and here's my 3 cents worth.....
ANTENNAS ANTENNAS ANTENNAS!!!
Distance worked is relative to band conditions and the antennas you are able to use...I have a weekend sked on 20 meters with my old friend ZS1RJQ and ZS1PZ...Again....ANTENNAS ANTENNAS ANTENNAS....Put up the BEST ones you can...to me...its that simple. If you'd like listen to this quick recording by ZS1RJQ today during our last sked Qso. I peaked at an S7.AND NO!! I'm NOT BRAGGING....JUST SHARING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc-NFiLb2s0&feature=youtu.be

Best regards with many 72...73 to all. Have some FUN WITH Qrping
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp --

MICHAEL CORKE
To
me peter personal PJ ZS1PA
Today at 1:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc-NFiLb2s0&feature=youtu.be

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »

I can't tell you the number of times I have done this and AS SOON as I tell them how much power I am running, it ends the QSO. We can go back and forth 2-3 times, then I mention that I am QRP and pretty much every time the other op suddenly has trouble hearing me/QSB is getting bad.............73
This has happened to me so many times that you would think I would learn but I just did it again within the last couple days when I finished building my Small Wonder Labs Retro 75. This is as predictable as the sun coming up every morning in the East and setting in the West.

If I was to hazard a reason for this I'd say that the other operator was putting all of his operating skills into play to complete the QSO.  Then you inform him you're running QRP and he thinks, "Here I am working my ass off trying to copy this guy and he's running low power!  To hell with this!!

Most QRO stations get on the air for an enjoyable and leisurely contact.  They have no interest in your QRP endeavors.  However, being a good or experienced operator he will put forth an effort to make a QSO successful. 

Then he's blindsided by this "QRP thing" and feels that you are not essentially holding up your end for a contact.

Just a WAG!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 02:45:56 AM »

Re: AB7KT

Don't give such contacts a second thought, any such Amateur in the HOBBY that considers leisure a priority and everything else as working his ass off would be much happier taking up golf.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »

WOW! I don't care how many element quad, that's amazing.

3 milliwatts for that distance is amazing. Bluetooth, which is often used to connect computers with peripherals in the same room, uses 1 milliwatt in the 2.4 GHz band to limit its range to about 32 feet. Don't garage door openers use about 100 mw?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 09:51:23 AM »

Impressive. How do you measure 3 mW power? A mW RF Power Meter?

If I am not wrong - with 12 V output that is a current of 0.00025 A, or 0.25 mA. To measure such a small current - what meter would you use and how do one get a reliable reading?  Undecided

The Oak Hills WM2 QRP wattmeter should enable a ballpark guess down to the 3 mW power level:

http://www.qsl.net/n7kzz/wm2.html

MEKONGRF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »

To K0OD.

Thank you very much for presenting the WM-2. To be honest I did not know that there were mW meters around for hobby use. After seeing your web site with the guts of the meter, I will build one for my experiments (I am not a licensed ham, but as an RF tinkerer I do temporary test beacons in the order of 100 mW for testing antennas and receivers that I build).

One more box in my 'lab'. Thanks again  Cheesy

Roy
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »

Hi MekongRF:  ["on the border of Laos and Thailand, and 40 meter seems dead here"]

The Oak Hills kit is pretty expensive even in the U.S. because it commands a premium price for the kit building experience. The WM2 is attractive with a nice big meter. Its performance is well regarded. Used units are rare and sell quickly for almost as much as the new kits. I've seen other QRPp watt meters on the web that will go down to 100 mW. MFJ has one that's pretty cheap. 

You would be a VERY popular new ham during the upcoming CQWW DX contest on November 29-30. The rules strongly favor your location in rare zone 26. The contact exchange is very simple and repetitive; a great time to work on Morse skills. (although most hams will be going over 30 wpm). The most powerful ham stations in the world will be on the air. 40 is my favorite contest band and it is always packed with stations the entire 48 hours during the CQWW. You will hear many stations from Japan... also Russia, China, the Pacific and, probably, the US and Europe.  See http://www.cqww.com/

I'm planning to enter the November CW CQWW using only 100 mW into a 1/4 wave ground mounted vertical. You won't be hearing my tiny signal LOL!. I'm just hoping to work a few stations in western Europe. Good luck.

MEKONGRF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »

K0OD

I found http://www.dl2lto.de/sc/HB_WM-2.htm, so I will make the meter from scratch (I have som big old VU meters that need a new scale). I have a lot of old precision HP instruments that I can set up for a one time calibration at around 1 MHz.

Well, I might get licensed one day. But I am lazy and always hunting for the new, so I would be bored doing thousands of QSOs. When I have a fully working PC-Arduino-K2 (RX/TX guts only - homebrew - I just bought the PCB from Elecraft and will populate only the RF parts and interface to Arduino), I might set up a licensed [keyboard / decoder / LoTW] station. Maybe ...

Best of luck for your contest.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: