Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-736R Mic Not Keying  (Read 1719 times)
AK4RL

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »

Sad   I recently acquired a nice looking Yaesu FT-736R that was sold as a working radio (not from ebay).  He kept his Heil mic and cord and did not have the original mic.  Since I have always been an Icom and Kenwood fan, I did not have any Yaesu mics around.  I bought an adapter cable for Kenwood 8 pin round to Yaesu 8 pin round and hooked it up and got nothing.  If you press the MOX button, the radio keys and if you short pin 6 (PTT) to ground the radio keys.  I figured bad adapter so I bought a MH-31 Yaesu mic and still the radio will not key.  I then did a total reset but no change.  Any suggestions as to what I should check now?  Any strange combination of buttons on the FT-736R that I must punch?  Would appreciate your help. TNX and 73, Ray AK4RL
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »

Can we assume the MH-31 hasn't been adapted to something different than an FT-736R? If you connect an ohmmeter to the mic plug between what would be pin 6 and ground, does it show wide open until you squeeze the PTT, then it drops to a dead short?

If you can key the radio with a jumper across the mic plug I'd say the problem is in the mic.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:54:50 AM »

Ray,

Older Yaesu's used a common ground for MIC and PTT on pin 7.  Newer rigs and mic's use separate grounds, pin 7 for MIC and pin 5 for MIC.  You may need to open the connector on the mic and rewire it, or rewire your adapter.  Pin 8 is MIC, pin 6 for PTT and pin 7 is ground for both.  The 736R manual is available at:

http://ketel.home.xs4all.nl/ham/FT736/FT-736R_Manual.pdf

GL & 73,

Don, K2DC

AK4RL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »

I checked today and the transceiver does key using the VOX. The mic is wired for standard 8 pin round Yaesu. Thanks for your comments, 73 Ray AK4RL
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »

You need to re-wire the mike to make the PTT work with the 736R.

At least you confirmed there's really nothing wrong with the rig, at all.

I use a boom mike and a footswitch with my 736R so hadn't thought about this for a long time, but it's true Yaesu changed their wiring over the years and "new" Yaesu mikes are not compatible with 1980s Yaesu rigs like the 736R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: