The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: milestone  (Read 29921 times)
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »

Yes. N3HEE recommends sending (The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over The Lazy Dogs Back off air as practice:
http://morsecodemasters.com/The-Classroom/

[/quote]

Thanks for that link, I'll check it out!

Jim
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »

Maybe it is just a sign of the times, but I think we tend top over-think things. Somehow I learned Morse at 5 wpm, counting the dots and dashed like I was not supposed to do. And then I got on the air, the dots and dashed eventually became letters and then words and then ...

Just do it.

paul
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2016, 05:46:50 PM »

I think that the structured sending practice will reinforce the sounds for me so the reading practice will be augmented. My goal is to be ready for beginner speed on air qso's in 2-3 weeks. I'm pretty fired up for lot's of practicing so I think this is a reasonable schedule.

Yes. N3HEE recommends sending (The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over The Lazy Dogs Back off air as practice:
http://morsecodemasters.com/The-Classroom/

If you change that to "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" you save a few seconds.  At least in English; don't know about Danish... Grin

Den hurtige brune ræv hopper over den dovne hund. -- according to Google.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »

STX:  You nailed it!!
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2016, 04:32:22 AM »

Still chugging on the morse machine. I usually do about 15mins practice at lunch and another session at home. Also working with the key. I'm seeing progress as more of the characters are recognized quickly. The last couple of nights have been noisy on the radio and haven't found any slow cw to listen to. Looking forward to doing more listening.

I understand the inclination to just jump on the air.....hey, it won't hurt anything if I'm not that good. But on the other hand, it won't hurt anything to get in a little practice first either. If there was an emergency, I could send good enough code to communicate. I still need practice reading.

I saw in a thread where someone was suggesting to also learn some standard words/abbreviations for contacts as that will provide a good base to get started. I may use the text to cw utility to work some of that depending on how on the air listening goes.

Thanks for all the comments!

Jim
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2016, 06:47:29 AM »

"I saw in a thread where someone was suggesting to also learn some standard words/abbreviations for contacts"
I do that as well.
I keep a cheat sheet on the wall in front of me so I don't lose my way and also use it for practice when on the CPO.
Here it is.

R R R
UR RST IS _ _ _
MY NAME IS DON
QTH IS BELLEVILLE ON
RIG IS HB HARTLEY
ANT IS LONGWIRE
BK TO U
_ _ _ _ _ _ DE VE3LYX

Usually repeating each twice as I send.
I am relearning Cw ops after many years of bla bla bla.  Not as easy as it used to be so this helps me.
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »

"I saw in a thread where someone was suggesting to also learn some standard words/abbreviations for contacts"
I do that as well.
I keep a cheat sheet on the wall in front of me so I don't lose my way and also use it for practice when on the CPO.
Here it is.

R R R
UR RST IS _ _ _
MY NAME IS DON
QTH IS BELLEVILLE ON
RIG IS HB HARTLEY
ANT IS LONGWIRE
BK TO U
_ _ _ _ _ _ DE VE3LYX

Usually repeating each twice as I send.
I am relearning Cw ops after many years of bla bla bla.  Not as easy as it used to be so this helps me.

I will do as you're doing and have some standard, for my station, replies ready. I think they were also referring to standard phrases/abbreviations that generally occur in qso's. By being familiar with the sounds of these, it gives me a leg up in copying.

Now, I just have to come up with a list of those "must have" phrases/abbreviations to set up some listening practice.....

Jim
W8IFI

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »

Lot's of good stuff here!!! !!!   I 'm awaiting surgery this week on my cervical spine and I'm hoping it will let me resume cw use. Did 20 wpm at one time. That was years ago. Best way I found was 3 of us the same block, and a fourth about a mile away, while  in high school, with only one letter difference between calls meeting at regular schedule running at very low power and we would spend about as hour insulting each other!!
Believe me it's amazing how a small group of antagonistic players bring your speed up.
My advice is get a small group together on a regular schedule and make it fun!  You won't believe the progress you'll make!!
W8IFI

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »

A couple of years ago I looked it up and there weren't many (Ham and Rye's around.) Grin
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »

update: found a morse machine for my phone (actually recommended on one of the threads). I like this version a little better than the lcwo: 1) very convenient since on the phone 2) don't have to hit extra keys since the question mark etc is a single key 3) it really goes after me on one's that I don't get correct.

I listened to some on air beginner cw this weekend and can see progress. I still have quiet a few characters that I don't have instant recognition yet but was able to pick out more characters than the last time I tried a week or so ago.

That being said, I'm more confident than ever that I'll be able to get this. Just need to get to the wood shed as much as possible and pound the reps so I recognize the character, right away, from the sound and not have to think "how many dits before the dahs etc." as I still have to do on some of them.

Jim

DW7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2016, 03:12:08 PM »

So yes, the small group I organized for CW practice all got lazy...I guess it's back to JLMC and the ARRL mp3 files...*sigh*...

Just when I thought I was getting somewhere...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:16:14 PM by DW7DVE » Logged
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2016, 04:47:38 AM »

Chugging along trying to get my recognition speed good enough to copy slow speed. Seeing progress which keeps me going. Was on 40m last night and plenty of cw with several fairly slow. I'm copying more than I was last week but still can't get enough to be comfortable. I still have 8-10 of the 40 character base set that take a second to register but even at slow speed, that means I'm missing the following character or two.......

My old brain is getting it but still not there yet.

Jim
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »

Keep going, you are copying more than last week, so next week you will copy more.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
JBIRD

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »

Keep going, you are copying more than last week, so next week you will copy more.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Was hoping I would get on to it a little quicker......but I'm stubborn and will keep chugging!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: