Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving an ADIF file from computer A to computer B  (Read 2313 times)
G0GQK

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »

I need to move an ADIF file from Digipan in computer A to Digipan in computer B. I've searched Google on moving files but they were no help. I have already attempted to send the ADIF from A to my other computer B but on trying to put it into a temporary folder or My Documents it is intercepted by Adobi which treats it as a PDF ! 

It must have been done hundreds of times, what is the procedure please ?

Mel G0GQK
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:13:37 AM »

I don't have digipan, but isn't it just File, Export, ADIF, then File, Import, ADIF?
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »

Ah, ! Yes, it would be if it was in the same computer. But sending it by e mail and trying to understand the weirdness of Windows 7, and it is weird after only using XP, However after many hours of messing about I've done it ! For instance there is no "send" to from attachments in BT Yahoo but once the e mail was separated from the .adi file and put into a library, then it was back to Airlink Express and then Import ADIF. The previous version got wiped out with a system restore, first time that ever happened in an XP machine.

Mel
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:47:35 AM »

Sometimes you have to zip files up before emailing them also - I know some email programs will just flat out ignore an attach request if it finds a file format it doesn't quite know what to do with - but zipping it up usually takes care of it.

Glad it all worked out.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »

I need to move an ADIF file from Digipan in computer A to Digipan in computer B. I've searched Google on moving files but they were no help. I have already attempted to send the ADIF from A to my other computer B but on trying to put it into a temporary folder or My Documents it is intercepted by Adobi which treats it as a PDF ! 

It must have been done hundreds of times, what is the procedure please ?

Mel G0GQK

Mel,

The easiest and quickest way would be to save the ADIF file (and any others for that matter) that you wanted to transfer on to a USB thumbdrive and then take the thumbdrive to the new PC and insert it in a USB port . The ADIF and other files are all available without any concern of translation by programs or such. I routinely keep a back up copy of my entire log and data files on a USB thumbdrive. You'd be surprised how much information you can put on a 4Gb USB thumbdrive. And they are not that expensive. I can usually find 4Gb devices at the local tech store for $20 or less depending on brand.

How this helps you. I do this sort of thing regularly without any issues.

BTW it's ADOBE with an 'E' not an 'I'.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »

Simply rename the ADIF file (*.ADI) to a different and unique extension (*.ADI_FILETRANSFER). Then e-mail it or whatever. At receiving end, put it in the directory where you want it and then rename it back to ADIF (*.ADI).

This is the method I use for all files that Outlook and Windows Exchange won't handle. It even works with executables (*.exe), that is the way we exchange *.exe files where I work.

Last solution use WinZIP or similar to make an archive file (*.ZIP) out of your ADIF and then UnZIP(archive) your file at the other end.

Windows and Outlook aren't too bright, just contrary.

KF7CG
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »

I use thumb drives all the time and they work great for transferring files from one computer to another. I did pick up some 4GB drives at Wal-Mart for $14 each a couple of months back. As far as transferring ADIF files from one computer to another USB drives is all I use and have never had a problem. I also back up my log on both a thumb drive and a external HD that way if I ever have a complete computer failure I have not lost my log. I also do a complete computer back-up once a week on the external HD for the same reason. Windows 7 has a very good back-up program built-in.

Roland AH6RR
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »

Related to this topic, after reading the few replies, I am curious why it appears a lot of people would rather try to mess with change this, do that, try this, don't do this and then attempt to email the data file thru Outlook rather than to just go direct with a thumbdrive or external USB drive of some kind. Seems like alot of extra work for nothing!

I personally try to avoid Outlook for any file transfers if at all possible since there is so much problems with possible file extension manipulation or worse, resident  security programs slicing off the enclosed file due to 'possible' security risks. Granted it is good to have security from hackers and other ilk, but if I am transporting data from platform A to platform B, I don't need big brother helping me!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »

Sometimes physical access to one or more of the data sources is a pain, also once you have done the rename to move thing once or twice it is a piece of cake.

We move file between many of the various programmers where I work using outlook and the rename trick. Move *.exe files intact and operation all over the place. So the rename then e-mail method is quite usable and versatile. It can beat "sneaker" net for some applications like this.

KF7CG
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »

After a number of hours of head scratching and failed attempts I did it by separating the e mail from the attachment. It seems to me to be much easier when using XP, and trying to understand the lingo with Windows 7 and not being a natural geek, but eventually I did it. Now I'm trying to get Airlink Express into a PC where it keeps on shutting down, this is a pain ! Thanks for the suggestions

Mel G0GQK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: