Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much thumb pressure?  (Read 2629 times)
KB1HJW

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2002, 08:47:49 PM »

I am brand new to CW (barely 8wpm), and have noticed something recently. I key left handed, and when I have done a practice session, my key is rotated about 15 degrees to the left. It looks like I am using too much pressure with my thumb. Is this something I just need to pay more attention to, or is there a technique I'm missing?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2002, 01:37:02 PM »

You may be using too much pressure, that's true.  But at slow speeds (under 30-40 wpm), you needn't have the very light touch that high speed operation demands.  You might just have a key paddle that's too light and won't stay put!  I'd recommend some double-sided sticky (adhesive) tape, applied to the feet of the key paddle, to help hold it down.

WB2WIK/6
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2002, 06:36:44 PM »

Well, I'm left handed, although that shouldn't matter. The speed I run depends on who is calling me.  Somewhere I got the idea it was considered polite CW operation to answer a call at the speed of the sending station, however nowdays, politeness seems to have gone out the window. I prefer a very light touch, and it doesn't matter if I am running 5 or 45 wpm. I would think if you set it for a light touch, you should also set it for close spacing. One thing I like to do is put my paddles on a computer mouse pad. The idea of taping the feet down is OK, but if you use a light setting with the contacts real close, and practice off the air for a while, you should have no problems with the paddles migrating. Go lefty!
KC0IOX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 12:29:26 AM »

I had some of the same problems going to paddles, but I actually learned on a bug first.  The problem with that is that I noticed that my bug fist was pretty heavy for the paddles, so I did a lot of practicing, first with the contacts spaced a bit, and then I gradually worked it down to the least amount of pressure.  Now, my fist is too light for my bug, but I prefer the keyer and paddles because it is more versitile for different code speeds.  
I also put whatever key I'm using on a mouse pad, but I inverted the mouse pad and the rubber side is up.  With that setup, the rubber feet of the key contacts the rubber of the mousepad, and whatever key I'm using is very stable for me.  Hope this helps.  73
Eric
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 03:56:05 PM »

Thanks all, for your suggestions. As luck would have it, we were getting rid of a bunch of mouse pads at work (company name change), so I cut one up and tried it right side up and upside down. Upside down works better with the particular mousepad and desktop that I have. Did some practicing, and it helped quite a bit.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2002, 12:13:44 PM »

I peel the glossy layer off the mouse pad.  Then it's simply a big piece of rubber.  
WB6SMX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2002, 10:35:15 PM »

Even when you use a bug it will move if it isn't tied down.  Small pieces of double back tape applied to the feet will help  lot.  The mouse pad idea is an excellent idea, too.  It also makes the bug operation a lot quieter.

Right hand or left hand - go CW!

73 de WB6SMX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: