Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What company has the best prices for home brewers parts  (Read 2507 times)
KH2BR

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »

I have been using Mouser for a long time and have not checked around for other suppliers prices in a long time.
I had to order some parts and I came across  http://parts.arrow.com/  and they were 2 and 3 times cheaper then Mouser.
The same manufacturer parts were compared.
So, My question is what parts supplier has the best prices for common home brewers parts and hardware .Huh  Input any one??

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »

if he has what you need, Dan's Small Parts is pretty good.  All Electronics is not bad.  MCM Electronics has scored some points with me over the years.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »

you could post what you need. lots of guys have "excess" barns full!!

the forum should have a place to post needs and free stuff. i got lots!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:08:47 PM »

If any one of us could name the electronic parts outlet with the best prices, then there would be only one outlet!

This is one of the more complex things about homebrewing.  That is, checking several outlets for the item, the price and the shipping costs.

As an avid homebrewer down through the decades, I've found it necessary to order from several outlets to build a single project.

Quite often it pays to order from one outlet that has everything you need, even if the prices are slightly higher for two reasons.  You'll have all of your parts coming in one package and quite often when you calculate the shipping charges from several vendors, the overall cost is higher than if you order from one singe place.

It pays to check outlets like All Electronics because vendors like these have discontinued items, obsolete but very useful items and inventory clearances from other companies.  Consequently they can sell for much lower prices.  The only thing is the next time you need a particular item, they might not have it or will ever get it.

Whenever querying one of these places about their parts, always ask for the shipping charges and if you find them too high, try negotiating a lower shipping charge.  Two examples for trying to negotiate a lower shipping costs is if the items are very light in weight and small.  Paying $8-9 for shipping a few small and light items is out of order.  The other is many companies prefer to ship UPS or FedEx which in many cases is more expensive than USPS.  You could try negotiating for a less expensive carrier.

All in all, parts acquisition is part of the home building fun along with parts layout and assembly.   

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »

I usually search the internet for the least expensive supplier. Of course it does not make much sense to buy ten different parts from ten different suppliers and pay ten times shipping.
So, as can be seen, your whole life is a compromise.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:19:32 AM »

I don't homebrew much, but I prototype things daily and have for years. So I guess it is just like homebrew, except the parts have to be commercially available.

The first place I go is Mouser. The second is Digikey.

Not counting manufacturers, in order:

Mouser
DigiKey
McMaster Carr (hardware)
Newark
Internet search sources
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »

JI: An additional two-cents worth. 

I agree with the first three: Mouser is #1 on my list

DigiKey is my #2

McMaster-Carr is the #1 hardware outlet in the country. 
                                         If it's made, they have it.  Shipping charges are very
                                         good.

Newark and I parted company many years ago when they went to the "$50 minimum" per order.  They've returned to any amount per order but since they didn't need me then, they don't need me now.

Same with the American Legion and the VFW who "didn't want me", after my cold war (Occupation) hitch in Germany "because I didn't meet the dates."  Now anyone can join... any vet, his kids and his dog.  Angry

OK, so I unloaded..... make that five-cents.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:22:49 AM »

Newark is not the same company it used to be a few years ago. They are my #2 choice after Mouser.

1. They no longer have a $50 minimum
2. Their prices have dropped a lot, and in some cases I have found them cheaper than Mouser. I think that one reason is that they no longer pay a commission to the person who takes your phone order.
Newark is my preferred source for Fair-Rite products over Mouser and especially Amidon.

Digi-Key never seems to have the parts I need.

And I agree 100% on McMaster-Carr. We get most of our hardware from them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:27:13 AM by W0BTU » Logged

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »

Newark will have your rotary switches, PJ plugs, and old Amphenol tube sockets, among other faves from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  it's a real slog to find much of that anywhere else.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »

Solid state or vacuum tube technology?Huh  There is a big difference, and there are a good amount of suppliers for both venues.

Pete
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »

Solid state or vacuum tube technology?Huh 

99.7% of what I buy is neither solid state (unless you count diodes) or vacuum tube specific.

I do buy a few ICs and small-signal transistors; and when I do, it's always been from Mouser. If it's vacuum tube stuff, I look for NOS stuff on eBay, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: