Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Asian CW DX Contest June 18~19  (Read 1984 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:18:49 AM »

...I managed to make a handful of contacts during the AA CW DX Contest this last weekend...I thought the exchange was a bit odd (never worked this contest before) with the two digit age of the operator included...that proved fairly interesting, however...55,53,48,56,63,60,45,60,60,65,47,60 and my age of 64...hmmmm, seems like a bunch of old guys to me !...so, did anyone else have similar results with the preponderance of operators being in their sixties or late fifties...and if so, anyone concerned that there was a "lack" of young bucks participating Huh
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »

I noticed that, too, but it's not surprising. Age is often exchanged in CW QSOs and 65 years old seems average.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »

Just thinking of other contests... In ARRL Sweepstakes the exchange includes year of first ticket.

In the CW contest I fall in the newer end of the bunch (I got my novice at a tender age of 10 in 1978 and many many others have tickets from the 50's or 60's. A couple guys use club calls or "in memorium" calls that date back to the 1930's!!!).

But in the CW sweepstakes there's also a small and active contingent of fairly recent licensees... from the late 90's onward... that are clearly the wave of the future. Active CW hams willing to jump in the deep end of what is perhaps the oldest running contest on the air. It's reaffirming, to hear the new guys working so well.
K4PP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:35:41 AM »

Band conditions haven't been good for me and have a hard time hearing anything. I was only able to work 6 stations on 20m. They were all Japanese stations with ages in 40's. I'm early 40's, but yeah I have noticed many CW ops are average in the 60's. Text'ing by sound is going to be tough to draw interests by young folks. It's probably going to take some other interests as a first step, something they're interested in at an older age.

K4PP
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:59:55 AM by K4PP » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: