Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Cards that don't display the name of the country....  (Read 2994 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:47 AM »

Thankfully these are rare in my collection, however, the ones that I do have, I have successfully managed to incorporate the missing country name onto the card as inconspicuously as I possibly could....What say you? Is not having the name of the country on the card a big deal with some of you?  And is it big deal when using the card for awards?   Love to hear your opinions on this one....

V
KA3NRX

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:12:48 AM »

Thankfully these are rare in my collection, however, the ones that I do have, I have successfully managed to incorporate the missing country name onto the card as inconspicuously as I possibly could....What say you? Is not having the name of the country on the card a big deal with some of you?  And is it big deal when using the card for awards?   Love to hear your opinions on this one....

V
KA3NRX

GAK!!! With regards to rewards... don't ever alter a QSL card if you want to use it for DXCC. That's a big deal to the card-checkers.

With regards to the DXCC rules they state:

4. Confirmation data for two-way communications must include the call signs of both stations,
the entity name as shown in the DXCC List, mode, date, time and band. Except as permitted in
Rule 1, cross-mode contacts are not permitted for DXCC credits. Confirmations not containing all
required information may be rejected

If it's just for display... pretty soon you'll be satisfied just looking at the call and the picture and knowing immediately what country or even which DX-pedition it was. If you're displaying QSL's for the benefits of non-hams, maybe some sort of annotation off the card (sticky note? Label tape on a "QSL Display Protector"?) would be most appropriate if you also want to preserve the card for DXCC checking.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:29:03 AM by N3QE » Logged
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »

Thankfully these are rare in my collection, however, the ones that I do have, I have successfully managed to incorporate the missing country name onto the card as inconspicuously as I possibly could....What say you? Is not having the name of the country on the card a big deal with some of you?  And is it big deal when using the card for awards?   Love to hear your opinions on this one....

V
KA3NRX

Are meaning to say that you yourself have added the name to a card?  If so, then the card may be declined since you have altered it.  I have never heard any of the card checkers rejecting cards that did not contain the entity name; for sure if it didn't have a callsign on it.  One CAN determine the entity name from the callsign.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:24:52 AM »

4. Confirmation data for two-way communications must include the call signs of both stations,
the entity name as shown in the DXCC List, mode, date, time and band. Except as permitted in
Rule 1, cross-mode contacts are not permitted for DXCC credits. Confirmations not containing all
required information may be rejected

REPLY: Oh no! This is not good...not good at all...as the long awaited card from my only Thailand qso arrived yesterday and the word Thailand does not appear on the card.....And I will probably never work Thailand again under these conditions.....The card reads Call Sign, ITU Zone, CQ zone, and Grid Square (which is worthless to me)....No mention of Thailand on the front or back of the card.....Again, this is not good....I fought tooth and nail for this country as a new one, and you are saying the confirmation may not be acceptable?Huh......This does NOT make me a happy camper.....

As far as alterations made, the way I did it was by NOT printing the name on the card with a pen....but by typing the name on a computer, printing it up and taping it on the card so it can be easily removed without damaging the card.....

V
KA3NRX

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »

V
KA3NRX

Are meaning to say that you yourself have added the name to a card?  If so, then the card may be declined since you have altered it.  I have never heard any of the card checkers rejecting cards that did not contain the entity name; for sure if it didn't have a callsign on it.  One CAN determine the entity name from the callsign.

I had a card for Nigeria declined as it did not have the country name on it. It had a 5N/ portable callsign and the address in Italy of the operator. Did not have a Nigeria address or reference other than the 5N in the call. A local ham buddy got the same operator but a different card that had Nigeria on the card and it was accepted. I emailed the op and asked for a new card with reference to Nigeria on it. Got it and DXCC desk accepted it no problem.

Also had a card labeled as CE0/ portable from Robinson Caruso Island and had it questioned. The DXCC rep at Visalia knew about those cards and it turned out to be Juan Fernandex Island for DXCC credit.

Like the others have said, do not mark anything on a card that will change the interpretation of where it is from or other QSO info. I date stamp the backside or lower corner of all my cards to know when I recv them. I also mark each one in pencil with a letter to show DXCC status, 'S'ubmitted, 'V'erified, 'D'eclined. No problems from any checker for those marks and dates.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »

So are you guys suggesting that I e-mail this fellow I contacted and point this out???...and have him send me another card???....It may be months or even years before work Thailand again....
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

So are you guys suggesting that I e-mail this fellow I contacted and point this out???...and have him send me another card???....It may be months or even years before work Thailand again....

It's your call. You'll work Thailand again no doubt, but in the mean time I'd check with the DXCC desk to find out their take on it. Maybe they will let it go thru, maybe not. If not, then follow your desired course and either wait until you work another one or email the E2 op and see what he can do to alleviate your predicament. No guarentees but worth a try if you find yourself in that condition. I would not resend a envelope until I could contact them to see if they could help out. You might just end up with a duplicate of what you have. Whatever you do, do it with tact and grace. Don't go in sounding like you're accusing them of being short sighted or the like. I'd thank him (or her) for the current card, and then simply point out that the DXCC desk declined the card for {state the reason}. Ask if they could send you another one with the necessary additional info on it, or better yet, if they aren't on LOTW, maybe it would be benefical for them to investigate it to help alleviate this sort of clerical error. Offer to pay for postage, etc as you're the one who wants the card, not him/her.

In my case, I wanted to include the 5N in my list for DXCC (I had more than 100 so I could drop a few and still be ok). I ended up putting it in my next bundle due to waiting on another card to arrive.

I also working on the "Island on The Air (IOTA)" award and you'd be surprised the number of cards I get that should be applicable to the IOTA award that simply do not meet the basic requirement of having the island distinctly identified on the card, even though the card is intended for use in the IOTA award program. IOTA also requires physical cards, nothing like LOTW to use for it so I sometimes have to resort to requesting another card with extra info hand printed on it by the island station op.

YMMV.  Good Luck.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »

I can see the DXCC desk refusing a card that says "FO/K3STX" since that could be any of a large # of FO's. But 5N/K3STX is only one place. How in the world can that be rejected? I can read the letter of the law, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

But DON'T alter your card!! (Of course, the DXCC desk could never know WHO wrote in the address anyway). In 1978 I sent 101 cards in for DXCC. Glad I included one extra, my card for France was rejected because the guy wrote in KA4BOD and then erased the "4" and wrote in a "3". A note was included "F rejected for tampering".

If in doubt, call the DXCC desk. They are very helpful.

paul
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »

It would be helpful for you and helpful for everyone that guy works eventually if he started putting his country name on his cards.

I would re-request the QSL with a note about needing the country name if that's really needed.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »

But 5N/K3STX is only one place. How in the world can that be rejected? I can read the letter of the law, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Nor I but that was the ruling and it wasn't open for debate as far as I could tell. It was only a matter of clearing up with the 5N/Italian station, which by the time I had contact him was using a new format that had all required info so most likely he had run into this problem before.

I had a college buddy who had resumes made up and after checking them over numerous times, failed to notice that the printer actually spelt his last name wrong by transposing 2 letters. He had already sent out about 25-30 resumes before it jumped off the page to someone other than him. When people make up QSL cards, it is easy for them to fail to put info on the card. Most printers look for obvious errors but if you don't put the info on the card, chances are no one will question it until it is too late to fix without startng over.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:10:00 AM »

I had a VP8 card rejected for 10m DXCC once because it did not unambiguously say "Falklands" on the card.  The problem was, of course, that VP8 could have been any of several countries.  Funny cuz of all the VP8s, the Falklands are the most common.  Why would I substitute a rarer card for a more common country?  The card also had on it a clear photo of a British air base located on the Falklands and the name of the base.  Fortunately it was an easy contact to duplicate.  The Thailand card shouldn't be a problem as the HS or E2 prefix can't represent anything other than that country.  However tampering with the card could prove problematic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:22:57 AM by K0RS » Logged
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »

@ KA3NRX, I'd be happy to help out here - is he a Thai operator (I speak/read/write Thai), or an 'expat' living over here?  We do not all have 3 heads in darkest Siam, so i'm sure he will understand your reasons for requesting the DXCC entity on the card.

Simon
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:41:39 AM »

Hi Simon. I greatly appreciate your helping.  The card is from Paul, HS0ZIN, and he was extremely gracious in getting the card to me. He even e-mailed me unexpectedly to tell me my card had arrived safely, and he would send out his card as soon as they became available. I just e-mailed the DXCC guy at ARRL to find out what the deal is with this situation regarding info displayed on cards, so let's wait until I get a reply and I will definately let you know. I don't want to have to pester anyone about this if I don't have to. Thanks much, Simon!

Vince P
KA3NRX

K0RS, that makes clear sense since the HS and E2 prefixes aren't shared by another entity (as is the same for P29, which is my other qsl that doesn't display "papua new guinea" on the card).  Again, let's see what the DXCC desk says, and I will report back to everyone.

VP

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:51:41 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »

I know Paul HS0ZIN very well - maybe the heat got to him when he was designing his cards and he forgot to include the word 'Thailand', (is this word perhaps printed in Thai??)

Anyway, let me know if you have no luck with the ARRL about this card and I can call him about it.  He's a very nice guy - as we all are Smiley

Simon
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »

Hi Simon. I greatly appreciate your helping.  The card is from Paul, HS0ZIN, and he was extremely gracious in getting the card to me. He even e-mailed me unexpectedly to tell me my card had arrived safely, and he would send out his card as soon as they became available. I just e-mailed the DXCC guy at ARRL to find out what the deal is with this situation regarding info displayed on cards, so let's wait until I get a reply and I will definately let you know. I don't want to have to pester anyone about this if I don't have to. Thanks much, Simon!

Vince P
KA3NRX

K0RS, that makes clear sense since the HS and E2 prefixes aren't shared by another entity (as is the same for P29, which is my other qsl that doesn't display "papua new guinea" on the card).  Again, let's see what the DXCC desk says, and I will report back to everyone.

VP

Any reply from the League on this topic? Interested to hear the OFFICIAL response.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: