Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio yet once again on the big movie screen. Who's antenna farms was......  (Read 8520 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »

Saw the new big movie hit "Super8" and was awesome ,but get this in case you haven't heard yet.

The time period it takes place in is between 1976-1982. Along with that the story line brings good old C.B. And better yet Ham Radio into the game to save the day. You Get to hear code play a role Heathkit and Vikings being used. If they did use an actual location they sure used someones antenna farm. Cool! Who's was it? Maybe just site props but gotta ask.

So when you get the chance to see the movie based on script and the talent of the cast was fantastic. The plus bonus are all the Ham Radio loaded scenes!

73!
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »

Tnx for that, looking foward to it. The producer/ director was hired at 16 years old to splice tapes for Speilberg, came a long way, hi
Regards,
Bob
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully someone from QST will see the movie and contact the studio to determine whether it's a real antenna farm and, if so, whose it is. It also would be interesting to know whether there was a ham on the staff who worked in those details as a shout-out to the hobby.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:01:20 AM »

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Someone on set ,or maybe producer is a Ham ,or knows a Ham. For what ever reason I've seen many movies with Ham radio like in Tranformers, Frequency, Predetor and others. This one was probably one of the better other than frequency where they showed how Ham Radio was the thing to have to intercept military chatter on sub ham frequencies (MARS).

Any Ham I know would find this just awesomely cool if you love this hobby. Just makes you wanna scream "Yeahhhhhh, I'm a Ham". Sounds geekish but we're all techno geeks to some degree. LOL! There's just no other hobby better!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »

One other thing!

If anyone knows of any other movies that integrated Ham Radio of any kind please list them. Interested in seeing how many movies can be mentioned that involved Ham Radio. Just seems like in the past ten years more and more movies mention Ham Radio or use Ham equipment in their scripts.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »

Contact.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »

Contact.

And they even used a ham call too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »

Them! shows a scene with a police officer using a bug (ironic, I know). Has anyone else ever seen a speed key in a movie? I didn't know anything about them until I became a ham, straight keys and paddles are all I had ever seen.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »

If anyone knows of any other movies that integrated Ham Radio of any kind please list them.

I've never seen the movie made from the novel, but _The Anderson Tapes_ was a bestselling thriller 20+ years ago; in it, a young wheelchair-bound man summons help during a robbery via his ham radio.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »

[/quote]

I've never seen the movie made from the novel, but _The Anderson Tapes_ was a bestselling thriller 20+ years ago; in it, a young wheelchair-bound man summons help during a robbery via his ham radio.
[/quote]

Yeah the scene was in the movie.  Sean Connery was the lead actor.  Was a good flick.  The ham part
was minimal.

Allen
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »

I believe that The French Connection features ham radio and was written by a ham as well. My brother is the expert on that book (and I think movie), not me.
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »

I don't know if they ever made it to film, but there were several episodes of stuff like "The Hardy Boys" and "The Three Investigators" books that included ham radio.  Couldn't tell you specific titles, that was waaayyyy too long ago.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »

AE4RV,

Never really seen any movie that had anything other than a straight key in it. Except for maybe one and can't seem to think of it right now or in the last 4 hours ,but I'll be paying attention in the future.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »

AE4RV,

Never really seen any movie that had anything other than a straight key in it. Except for maybe one and can't seem to think of it right now or in the last 4 hours ,but I'll be paying attention in the future.

The Movie  "Battle Cry" with Aldo Ray and Tab Hunter as marines were learning code and Aldo is sending CW with a bug about his girl friend to Hunter (after class of course).
Allen
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »

I can't remember the name of the movie but a guy contacts his dead father in the past to warn him about his mothers murder.....by ham radio using auroral propagation lol.  Pretty good movie non the less.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: