Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio yet once again on the big movie screen. Who's antenna farms was......  (Read 8094 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »

I can't remember the name of the movie but a guy contacts his dead father in the past to warn him about his mothers murder.....by ham radio using auroral propagation lol.  Pretty good movie non the less.

Frequency.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 08:56:46 AM »

That was it, just came back to post the name and you beat me to it.

I think it's an SB-301 in the movie if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:59:19 AM by KJ4AGA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:05:57 AM »

I have movie I will have to re-watch it sometime.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

That was it, just came back to post the name and you beat me to it.

I think it's an SB-301 in the movie if I remember correctly.

Boy, that's a tough one. " Frequency"  with Dennis Quaid.

Amazing how a receiver also worked as a transmitter and a time machine as well.

Allen

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »

I tried plugging a mike into my SB-301.

The only place it would fit was the headphones jack, so I tried that.

No luck.  Not only could I not communicate back in time, but the mike blew up.

Have to try again sometime.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »

Yep it is a 301 just watch movie again. It is complete with Heathkit desk mike and speaker. W2QYV. They could have at least used a SB-101 since they went through trouble to get a radio of that era.  but how many would know I guess. They used 15m too.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 05:08:08 AM »

Them! shows a scene with a police officer using a bug (ironic, I know). Has anyone else ever seen a speed key in a movie? I didn't know anything about them until I became a ham, straight keys and paddles are all I had ever seen.

In the opening scenes of "Contact" there is a Vibroplex Original Standard on the table, but it goes unused.

Although not amateur radio, the film "Island In The Sky" has a lot of good radio stuff in it. Including bug use.

"Island" is about a WW2 cargo plane (C-47/DC-3 IIRC) forced down in the snowy Canadian wilderness. The crew struggles to survive with limited fuel and battery power (plane engines won't start in the extreme cold). BC-348, BC-191/375 and "Gibson Girl" emergency tx are important to the story.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 06:36:13 AM »

I'll check that out, Jim, thanks.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »

Man! I have a lot of old school flicks to check out.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »

I think this thread is missing the homebrew flicks.  One in particular is the movie "The Red Tent"
where the airship "Italia" .  Commanded by General Umberto Nobile (Peter Finch) is on an Artic
rescue mission but goes down in a storm and the gas bag is blown away with half the crew.
A red tent is set up to show that the other half of the crew is in distress.  Problem is that the
radio transmitter has a broken grid leak resistor  in the oscillator and they have no spares.  So the radioman makes a new one by using a graphite pencil to mark on a piece of paper until he gets the correct resistance.  He makes a call and a ham in Norway or Russia hears the call.
This is a good movie and it also has Sean Connery as Roald Admundson and also Claudia Cardinale (who cares what her role is!!!!!!).
Worth a watch.
Allen
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:05:15 PM by KA5N » Logged
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »

A book with a Ham Radio feature element was The French Atlantic Affair -en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_French_Atlantic_Affair

The book was a great read, can't remember if I watched the mini-series, but I probably did.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »

"Super 8" was a pretty good movie; wife and I saw it yesterday.

I did notice that the "ham" frequency that the one fella was complaining about was "13201" - missing the 20M band just a bit - but the beautiful-looking Heathkit "Seneca" being used might not have worked for that frequency.  "Seneca" was a 2M/6M TRANSMITTER.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 12:40:57 AM »

I can't remember the name of the movie but a guy contacts his dead father in the past to warn him about his mothers murder.....by ham radio using auroral propagation lol.  Pretty good movie non the less.

That one is called "frequency". good movie i thought.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »

I saw a "B Grade" made-for-TV sci fi monster flick where the small
town sheriff's dispatcher's radio was a TS-940 and hand mic. They
had a good long shot of that radio...right before the monster ate the female
dispatcher....while all the deputies were in the field chasing the monster!  Grin

When I worked at HRO Burbank, studio and film maker prop guys often
came into the store to rent Demo HF units for use in films. They paid quite well.

Ken, AD6KA
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »

A book with a Ham Radio feature element was The French Atlantic Affair -en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_French_Atlantic_Affair

The book was a great read, can't remember if I watched the mini-series, but I probably did.
The book was great. The made for TV mini series was a big disappointment. The again, the book had a lot of sex and adult situations in it that could not be translated to TV.
IIRC they changed the ham op in the story from a grown married man to a kid in the mini series.
Michael, W4HIJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: