Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor Digipan issues  (Read 4135 times)
KF7ATL

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »

I am slightly computer-impaired, especially with Windows. I have a couple of issues with Digipan 2.0.  I don't know if they are related more to Digipan or to Windows 7. The first is that for some reason, Windows won't read the help file. Second, I accidentally removed the log bar from the main screen, and when I tried to put it back, it came back as something separate from the main window. I don't know how to fix it (told you I was computer-impaired). Not life or death, but I could use some guidance.

Garth
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »

I have seen the help file issue before. Windows changed the template format for help files and Win7 cannot read/sea old format designs that have roots going back to win9x days. I believe format changed with Vista. Code writers follow guide lines to write help files and guidelines changed.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

Garth,

I had the same problem sometime ago.
This issue was also addressed in the Yahoo User Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digipan

You need to download the latest Help program file from Microsoft :
Goto: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 and scroll down to the page to:

"Download the appropriate version of Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) , depending on the operating system that you are using:"

Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows Vista
**"Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 7"**
    Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows Server 2008
    Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows Server 2008 R

I you don't mind I would like to highly recommend moving away from DigiPan and going to FLdigi @ www.w1hkj.com for several reasons.

1. DigiPan is fine for new users but FLdigi has a lot more capabilities and Features and Modes to choose from. 

2. Fldigi is a MultiMode BUT also a Multi-OS program supporting MS Windows, Apple MAC OS as well a most Linux OS's.

3. If you are interested in Emcomm like RACES or ARES and soforth FLdigi/NBEMS
(Narrow Band Emergency Messaging System) is being used in some areas of the States.

4. The FLdigi/NBEMS is very well supported and has a very large following and is constantly being improved upon. DigiPan Currently NOT supported or Upgraded.

5. Fldigi does NOT rob you PC or Bog it down with functions that slow down the CPU or require a whole lot or RAM aka System Memory.

6. It is known to work on low end Note Books/Laptops.

I have it running on a Dell Laptop 650mhz CPU and I bumped up the Memory from 128 to 512mb.
Also running on a old NEC Z1 All-In-One Desktop that was a PIII 450mhz with only 128mb of Ram to a PIII 1ghz CPU and 512mb of RAM. Runs quite well.

If you have any questions please drop me a line at kb6hoh at comcast dot net.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »

Ah ! That explains why I couldn't locate a help file when Digipan was loaded into Windows 6. I have a copy of version 1.7, not available any more, put it into XP and the help file is there.

I agree with your comments about FLdigi but I find its slow in decoding compared to Airlink Express which decodes immediatly the mouse drops on a trace.

Mel g0GQK
KF7ATL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »

Steve, et al,

Thanks for your help. I followed the link, downloaded the update, and now the help file works. This allowed me to read the help file and find out how to solve the second problem. Two birds with one stone!

BTW, I chose to use Digipan because it's free and it's easy to use (now that I can access the help file). I also built a home made interface that is simple and inexpensive. I did this because I didn't know if I would like PSK, and wanted a cheap and easy way to find out. If it turns out that I enjoy PSK I may change to FLDIGI and a commercially made interface, but for now I'm successfully making PSK contacts with my quick and dirty setup.

Hope to see you on the air.

73, Garth
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »

You should check out MultiPSK. It is free and does far more than PSK and does more modes than any other software I have ever tried.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »

5. Fldigi does NOT rob you PC or Bog it down with functions that slow down the CPU or require a whole lot or RAM aka System Memory.

Are you saying that Digipan really  DOES the above?
Digipan 2.0 "works best" (their words) on a 266 Mhz P1 running Windows 95.
And I'd bet my paycheck it would run on a lot slower machine FB too.
I've run other versions of Digipan on a 40 MHz P1 with 32 MB RAM.

Not picking one over the other, never tried FL Digi.
But I've never, EVER heard Digipan, of all things, referred
to as a PC Hog. Hah, that's a good one.
73, Ken, AD6KA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:13:13 AM »

I have it running on a Dell Laptop 650mhz CPU and I bumped up the Memory from 128 to 512mb.
Also running on a old NEC Z1 All-In-One Desktop that was a PIII 450mhz with only 128mb of Ram to a PIII 1ghz CPU and 512mb of RAM. Runs quite well.

You are a very patient man to use such slow systems with such limited ram. This is not to say you need a quad core and Vista or Win7 but even XP has changed a lot (if you keep up with updates that have fattened code a lot) and with 512 meg it has to do a lot of code swapping to run. Give how cheap hardware is today and how even a 4 or 5 year old system is light years ahead of this CPU power is very cheap to come by. I use a 5 year old HP laptop with radio and Digi that I installed/cloned in a new HD, 1.5 gig of ram and fastest CPU it would support (1.7ghz Celeron M I bought on line for 8 bucks shipped) and while not "fast"  it will RC radios while doing logs and web stuff too and handle virus software as well and I cannot imagine using anything slower or less protected today. Even wifes old machine she uses with her sewing stuff (I built it up with old parts because she some of her sewing hardware needs COM or Parallel port) has a 2.8 ghz P4 with 1 gig of ram and XP with a new modern HD. When I first built it it had a 1.8ghz P4 and it sucked for web video and such. I found a 2.8ghz CPU for 6 bucks shipped and it helped a lot.

KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »

Ken and all,

Ken I should have made my statement a little bit more clear. NO DigiPan does not Bog down the system. I probably should have said programs like HRD/DM780 do on slow CPU's. DigiPan is great for the new user but it lacks alot of modes and features. I promote FLdigi as being better than DigiPan and it has alot more to offer to the new user and is just as easy to setup as DigiPan. Sorry for my poor choice of words.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: