Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pass on used Ten Tec gear  (Read 20063 times)
AA6ZE

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »

A few weeks ago a friend brought over a Jupiter he got used from Ten Tec. He bought it with the understanding that it was gone through by the service department and there were no issues. The main tuning knob was deformed to the point that it scarped the front panel when turned rendering the finger dimple almost useless. He called Ten Tec and they offered to either sell him another knob or to invest more money in the remote encoder unit. No apology, or realization that they made a mistake.  I don't think he should be penalized for this undisclosed defect He enjoys the performance of the rig otherwise, and doesn't want to create a stink. I just wish Ten Tec could have treated him better. 73
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »

Could that knob scraping the faceplate be shipping damage?

Why would a "deformed knob" require more work on the encoder
if the rig is otherwise tuning FB? (aside from "scraping" the front panel)
AA6ZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »

I don't believe it was shipping damage or he would have mentioned that to me. The encoder that I referred to is the remote one that plugs into the Jupiter. It costs around $130. The knob on the rig has no setscrew so its unclear how he could remove or adjust it without possible damage. Other than the knob the tuning is ok.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:48:44 PM by AA6ZE » Logged
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:09 AM »

Huh
What doesn't make sense here is that Ten-Tec has a 10 day trial period and a 30 day warranty on used equipment.

If the equipment arrived damaged, why didn't your friend immediately contact Ten-Tec with his concerns within the trial period or the warranty period?
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »

What doesn't make sense here is that Ten-Tec has a 10 day trial period.

I read a post once where someone claimed that if you tried
Ten Tec's "Ten Day Free Trial" on a new rig, then decided
you didn't like it and returned it, that Ten Tec will "never" sell
you another rig.
Is this true, or the BS of a disgruntled customer? Anybody know??

Seems like a hinky business practice and not consistent with
all the good things I've read about Ten Tec.
Now if you did it several times and it became obvious
that you were basically "borrowing" high end rigs for contests
or whatever (minus return shipping), that they *might* say
"You've tried enough rigs, no more "Free Trials" for you,
you buy a rig, it's yours (unless it was DOA) in which case
it would be replaced, or store credit, no money back".
But then wouldn't that be false advertising, or is that caveat
buried in fine print somewhere?

AA6ZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »

He did contact Ten Tec after receiving the Jupiter. The tech seemed convinced the problem was the encoder shaft and told him to open the top and check it. Something he hasn't gotten to as yet. It's unlikely that's the problem. There is no play in the shaft and it tunes smoothly. Just by looking at the knob we can see it's out of round and lopsided. He would rather not ship it back because Ten Tec won't pay the shipping and money is tight.Anyway,he paid top dollar for a rig that was supposed to be in perfect working order and didn't get it so Ten Tec should foot the bill in my opinion. 73
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:55:13 PM by AA6ZE » Logged
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:22 PM »

You say there is no set screw on the main tuning knob? There has to be! If I remember, there is a rubber "ring" that goes around the knob. remove it ( it pulls right off ) ...You will see a set screw hole. Find the right allen wrench and loosen the knob and pull it out a tad and tighten it back up....Problem should be solved.

Sounds like this could have happened in shipping, no reason to blame Ten Tec. I have dealt with them several times for sales / service and it has always been first rate.
AA6ZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »

Very good. he got the knob off yesterday and will contact service about a replacement. Strange how the tech at Ten Tec didn't know anything about how to remove the knob. The force necessary to deform it would have destroyed the rig so ii wasn't shipping damage. 73
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »

That's one more chance than Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood give you. Once you take a rig from them, it's now used or demo gear commanding a lower price once returned. As far as rx'ing damaged gear which is the topic of this post, it should have been sent back or rectified right then and there. Call back and ask for someone of weight and I am sure they will make the situation better than you can have ever expected. Unlike some other companies who sell you 6k radios with a misspelled front panel and expect you to accept it that way.

you another rig.

W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »

I bought a used OMNI vll from Ten Tec three months ago.  It sure did not look used and it is in perfect condition and packed like a new rig.  I will  add I have an ORION ll and Eagle and I find Ten Tec to be a wonderful company all the way around

George, W6GF
AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

I have dealt with Ten Tec a number of times and I have always found them to offer superior service. No complaints from me!  If you do have questions they will go out of their way to help, I've never found another company as good.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:16:09 AM »

you another rig.

There have been two or three reports of this nature over the years. 

In every case, however, you find out that it's someone who purchased, and returned, multiple items over the years -- and I don't mean two or three, but in the neighborhood of a dozen or more.  And in at least one case, the induhvidual involved bad-mouthed the company and the equipment, on this site and others... and yet continued to purchase, and return, equipment.

In essence, they were "borrowing" the rigs for short periods of time. 

Is it any wonder that some of these "frequent flyers" were finally told enough is enough?

I also know of one similiar case involving a US ham now living overseas.  Ask him, and he'll tell you all about Ten Tec's refusal to fix his amplifier... long, loud, and profane.  What he won't tell you is that the issue involves a lightning strike on an amplifier that was years out of warranty.  He also won't tell you that when he's complained, myself and others tried to get him assistance and parts and information, but nothing would satisfy him unless the company simply replaced the unit with a new one.  Any wonder why they chose to stop dealiing with him as well?
AA6ZE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »

Just as an update, a few days ago a couple of bands went out in my friends Jupiter. He will have to replace the relays in the low pass filter board. Not the most difficult job, but he's disappointed that 2 months into the rig he will have a major repair job on his hands. Probably just bad luck. I'm glad others have had better luck than him,but it's left a bad taste in his mouth, and in mine for recommending Ten Tec to him. If Ten Tec would have dug deep and sent a 5 dollar knob when it was still under warranty it would have done wonders for their reputation ,but they chose not to do so.  They still have the best QSK, but is that enough?

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »

Given Ten-Tec's outstanding customer service reputation over the years, there has got to be more to this story, IMO.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »

Given Ten-Tec's outstanding customer service reputation over the years, there has got to be more to this story, IMO.
Agreed! I bought an older Ten Tec Omni D I sent back to Ten Tec for repairs some years ago. It was in 2002. Ten Tec fixed the old Omni D and completely went through it for under 200.00 including shipping. They were awesome to deal with, and sent me back a radio I used and loved, for years.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: