The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My intro.  (Read 2039 times)
KC9UKH

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:29:45 AM »

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking for the last few weeks and finally joined when my callsign showed up in the ULS database on Thursday!  Anywho, my name is Scott (KC9UKH) and I live in the Fox Valley in Wisconsin.  I've been wanting an amateur radio license for the last several years and probably out of sheer laziness, I just never took the time to study.  I finally got study materials from the ARRL to do some reading as well as used the wealth of material online.  Passed the Tech exam last week Saturday and got my callsign on Thursday!  I opted not to study for the General at the sametime, as I did not want to get too overwhelmed.  I figured, I had enough on my plate at the moment and did not want to make things anymore confusing for me.  Not to mention that from a personal aspect, I'm dealing with a bunch of headaches at work right now and I'm getting married in August.   Grin   I figured, there's another local exam session in October and will attempt to upgrade to General at that point in time.

I took the time a couple of weeks ago even prior to getting my license to join a local amateur radio club (FCARC)  Everyone seems very cool for the most part and I'm meeting up with a few people today at their local Field Day site!  I'm really excited to meet everyone, check out their radios and maybe even get on the air!  Seems like I picked the perfect time of year to finally jump head first into the world of amateur radio.   Wink

I don't yet have a radio (or antenna) and will utilize the other parts of the forum to ask my questions about them.  Since I know for a fact I'd like to upgrade to General, I don't want to purchase a radio that I'm going to essentially outgrow.  Even without being able to utilize HF privileges (non-CW), I can still listen on those bands which I've heard can be a great learning experience in and of itself.  Then when I do get the General upgrade, I'll have a radio which will already have the HF capability.

Just wanted to start my first thread here at eHam.net and introduce myself to everyone.  I'm sure the bulk of you are probably enjoying the Field Day experience this weekend.  I'm off to do the same!  Stay safe, everyone and have a great rest of your weekend!

73!!

- Scott.
KC9UKH

KC9UKH, Scott.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:19:01 AM »

Welcome. Yes, aim for HF. Unless you really just want to chat with the drive time locals (which is fine), you never outgrow HF. And the new solar cycle is finally here. A good time to get your General.

73, Geoff
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:35:47 AM »

Upgrading to General and getting on HF is definitely a good idea, you won't be sorry.
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »

Scott
Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world. Congrats on getting your ticket. A lot of good information here on this forum.

Richard
KC9UKH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:39:51 PM »

Thanks a lot for the replies, everyone!!  I really appreciate it.

I had a great experience at Field Day.  It was awesome meeting and chatting with everyone in our local club.  Looking forward to getting my first radio and finally getting on the air!   

KC9UKH, Scott.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »

9UKH:  Welcome to ham radio and eHam.com Scott!  As previously said, this is the greatest hobby in the world!

While you still have basic information learned and memorized Scott, NOW is the time to continue your studying for the General.  Even if "you have enough on your plate."  You can always find 15 or 20 minutes daily to do some reading!  (I have a magazine/book stash beside every commode in the house.  LOL.  You'll find the continuous upgrading much easier and faster if you don't take "breaks" between license classes.

I started out with a Conditional class ticket because I was stationed in Germany, which precluded me finding an FCC office.  I did have to go before the Deutche Bundespost (Equivalent to our FCC) to get my German ticket).

A few years after returning to the States the FCC started calling in Conditional ticket holders for testing.  Rather than wait for that dreaded letter, I started studying for the General ticket.  I passed that one and immediately started the studies for the Advanced and so on until I had my First Phone Commercial.  I found that it wasn't necessary to "relearn" the same material which I would have had to do if I paused between ticket classes.

I had several friends who did make the pauses and it was much more difficult for them to upgrade.

I've been a ham now for 55 years Scott and still love it and I still love CW which provides a whole new world of amateur radio communications.

Keep going OM, you won't regret it!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:00:52 AM »

Welcome to the hobby!  Hope you have many years of pleasure from it.  Just one little word of advice--Don't let the naesayers get you down.  For every one of those, there are dozens of friendly hams waiting to help you and communicate with you, either by phone, (voice) CW, (morse code) or by data modes.  73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: