Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Power Supply Pigtails  (Read 2010 times)
SCARPAD

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:08 AM »

I want to use Power Pole connectors on all my Power Supplies, these are all mostly 30 amp supplies. I want to make some pigtails with the power poles on them to connect to the Power supplies and then over to my Rigrunner. What is a good guage wire to use to do this ?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »

30A Power Poles are rated for 12-14 guage wire. I'd use 12 guage.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »

Technically a 30 amp load requires #10 wire.  This does not mean that #12 won't work, but you will have a larger voltage drop in the wire.  This may result in lower power output if powering a transceiver.

Dick  AD4U
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »

One major factor is the length of the wire run. If you are running a short length of wire you can get away with a smaller gauge of wire. If you are making a long run a heaver gauge wire should be used to limit the voltage drop when you draw current. If you go to a manufactures web site that sells wire they will usually have a chart recommending the gauge of wire for different voltage drops and current draw a different lengths. Where say 12 gauge might be OK for 10 feet. I would guess you would have to go to 10 or 8 gauge for 50 or 100 feet.

73s
K2OWK
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

Well, you'll have to go 45A on the power pole if you want to insert a #10 wire. The spec says #12 maximum for a 30A power pole. If your pigtail is only a foot or two you won't have any significant voltage drop with #12. Of course if your load is really less than 30A then the voltage drop will be less as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: