Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heads up on Ameco K-4.  (Read 3897 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »

I just got one of these and I found that they had drilled the screw hole that held the right side of the bearing mounting crookedly.  This meant that the main body of the key was shifted at a weird angle and barely 1/3 of the contact point connected when pressed.  This is an obvious defect and while the key can sort of be made to work, it might be a problem for some.  The unfortunate news is that the dealer checked his entire inventory and they all had the same problem.  He was not hopeful that Ameco would fix this any time soon, so we are going to see if any good ones come over in the next few months.

Just a heads up, your experience may vary.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:32:55 AM by CHAS0039 » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
KC0THP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »

I really like my Nye Viking Speed-X.  You might try looking at one. 
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:32:01 AM »

Thanks. they look like a decent upgrade for not much more money.

Sam
W9KDX
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:19:21 AM »

Agreed. I'm not much for straight keys anymore but I used to be very devoted to them. A Nye Viking key eventually replaced my very well liked J-37 as my main key for years.

Although I've moved on to bugs and paddles I still think that learning to make well formed Morse Code with a straight key is the right way to start. Served me well for over a decade. But I am glad that I finally made the switch.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »

Although I've moved on to bugs and paddles I still think that learning to make well formed Morse Code with a straight key is the right way to start.

Absolutely. 

But then, great minds think alike...

VE2BXJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »

Agreed. I'm not much for straight keys anymore but I used to be very devoted to them. A Nye Viking key eventually replaced my very well liked J-37 as my main key for years.

I started with a K4 and then acquired a Nye Viking "Master Key." The difference is impressive.

Although I've moved on to bugs and paddles I still think that learning to make well formed Morse Code with a straight key is the right way to start. Served me well for over a decade. But I am glad that I finally made the switch.

Straight keys are also a lot more fun! And that's what counts most in amateur radio.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »

As I remember, my K-4 had exactly the same problem -- and it's _old_.

To fix it, all you have to do is drill out the hole, put in a bushing, drill the bushing where it _should_ be drilled, and tap it for the bearing cup.   Should be a piece of cake.<g>

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: