Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Straight Keys and Mobiles.  (Read 897 times)
KE4SHC

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2001, 09:49:36 PM »

I am wondering on the Mobiles such as the 706 MKIIG and the FT-100d among the others that only have a Keyr/key jack which is meant for a set of paddles or the like can a straight key with the right sized end plug in and use it too?  especially something older such as a J-38  I know on most of the base style radios they tend to have a "jack" for both on them.  Someone who may have experience please respond.  
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2001, 12:21:43 PM »

I have a straight key plugged into my 706MK2G when I am on my ship.  I "borrowed" one of the ships old and unused keys and wired it up for the Icom.  The trick is to go into the menu and set the jack for a straight key.    The mobile rigs just don't have separate jacks like the bigger base units do. Obviously this is a space saving plot.  If I am using my paddles or the mic buttons (not recommended), I just switch the menu option.

Jeremy N1ZZZ
KC5JK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2001, 06:44:36 PM »

Thanks for the reassurance.  Until I read the first post, it had never occurred to me that a CW rig might accept only one or the other type of key.  Perish the thought of having to throw away the key you've used for forty years and learn how to use something else!
When I operated mobile CW, I used my trusty J-37 (as seen at www.QSL.net/KC5JK) which I mounted on a heavy steel base.  Oddly, that key originally came with a leg mount, making it the single most suitable key ever built for field and mobile work, but I had long since let go of the mount, to someone who wanted it much worse than I.

h
WN9JSN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2002, 10:32:41 AM »

Speaking strictly for the FT 100 which I own the answer is yes, a straight key can be used with this rig. The rig's internal keyer can be disabled by means of the main menu commands. This could enable anything - i.e., a bug, a set of paddles or a hand key - to be operated as a hand key. The paddles would actually operate more like an old "sideswiper", where you manually form both the dits and dahs. I occasionally use my Kent single lever paddle as a "bug", which is also one of the main menu options on the FT 100. Happy keying! dit, dit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: