Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for J-38's  (Read 742 times)
KC5PCS

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2002, 08:42:27 AM »

A friend of mine, and possibly myself, is looking for a J-38 key.  Does anyone know of a likely source for the J-38.  He is interested in actual J-38 not a look-a-like.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2002, 02:35:30 PM »

There's about a thousand of them for sale, currently, on the internet.  

I just did a quick "Google" search on:

J38+key

And it brought up >10 pages of references, many of which are J38's for sale.

There must have been tons of J38's made, they were the standard for military Morse operations for decades.  All the military-surplus ones are "original, real J-38's" although they need not all be identical or built by the same manufacturer.

I bought my "real, original" J-38 from Fair Radio Sales <http://www.fairradio.com>, a military surplus dealer, years ago for $5.00.

WB2WIK/6
N8AVX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2002, 08:33:50 AM »

I've got two here, and they look slightly different. One has rounded corners on the base, the other has sharp square corners. One the lettering is thin serif-style font for lettering, the other thicker sans-serif font. One had screw in drilled post binding posts, the other has screw driven clamp binding posts. The shorting blade is slightly different shape, and the metal piece that all the parts screw into is solid on one and the other has an oval cutout.

Both say J-38. One has the name "Artec" on it, the other seems to have no manufacturer marks...

FWIW...
Jim N8AVX
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2002, 09:09:13 AM »

They shouldn't be too hard to find. I stocked thousands of them at Ft. Bragg, NC back in 1981. But sorry, I won't part with mine. I'm retired Military and it's part of my memories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: