Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha Delta DXLB Plus sloper??  (Read 3762 times)
N3FTW

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »

Anybody use a Alpha Delta DXLB Plus as a sloper? I can put one end at 30-35ft on a telephone pole.  and the other end at 12ft on a 4x4. I have 135ft to use. the tele pole is 200ft from shack,the 12ft 4x4 is about 100ft from shack.

thanks
TBM
N3FTW
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »

If the "telephone pole" doesn't have any electrical wiring on it, I'd add a 15' or so mast to the pole, and install it as an inverted vee with the center up on top of that pole to get it up 45-50' above ground at the feedpoint.

That will work way better than sloping from 30 or 35 feet down to 12 feet, which would put your feedpoint maybe 20' above ground.
N3FTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »

I forgot to say the telepole is in the corner of my lot and it can't be used as a center pole .

thanks
KA9WFI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »

I had one up for a year or so, it started about 40 ft and ended about 15 feet above the ground, it worked reasonably well for an all band type antenna.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »

However you install that antenna, first remove the "ARC PLUG" "anti-static"
thing on the back side of the center insulator. It is a rectangular, potted
in epoxy, and recessed in the back of the center insulator.
It has two thin sheet metal leads going out to the wire elements on both sides.
Cut it out with a pair of dikes as close to the wires as possible.

AD uses these on all their antennas. I think they are OK
on the dipoles, but NOT on any multiband antenna.
It was the first thing AD told me to try after I bought and put up the
DX-DD and it was an instant and permanent fix.

Other hams have had similar experiences.
Good luck with your new antenna, whichever way you decide to go.
73, Ken  AD6KA
W8AD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »

The Models DX-LB and DX-LB Plus do not use the SEP ARC-PLUG, and they are not installed at the factory on those models. Those models do not use them due to the wide voltage swings on those bands when using a wide range tuner. The high voltage swings could "false trigger" the device. They are only used on the DX-CC, DD, EE dipoles. The work just fine to dissipate static voltage build up if the antenna feed point SWR is not too high (less than 2:1 at the operating frequency) and if power is not over 1000 watts PEP/CW.

Using the antenna as a sloping dipole should work out very well, if it is "in the clear" of nearby objects like roof tops, gutters, power lines and the like. It is always handy to use a wide range antenna tuner to tune out the various reactances that are picked up from lower heights (less than 40 ft.)

Don, W8AD
N3FTW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:39:17 AM »

thanks for all the input  Smiley
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »

I forgot to say the telepole is in the corner of my lot and it can't be used as a center pole .

thanks

If the telephone pole is positioned to allow over 90 degrees seperation of the antenna halves at the apex of the antenna, try doing the mast thing and run the 2 sides off at the max angle you can get. The pattern should have some directivity in the direction of the 'Vee'. May not be the desired direction but at least it will radiate and better than in the box or bag it come in.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: