Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Anyone Tried the New FlexControl Tuning Dial?  (Read 13546 times)
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »

I have NEVER lied about my experiences with Flexradio. Everything I have posted has been truthful. If this damages Flexradios Reputation, who's fault is it?

There is the balanced truth and there is the "truth" that omits details that would lead others to possibly come to a different conclusion. I have noticed that you tend to call the latter "spin" if you think that someone who is pro-Flex does it. It is what you do consistently on this list. So, yes, what you are doing is technically telling the truth while doing your level best to give an erroneous impression of Flex Radio Systems as a bad company with inferior products, two conclusions with which I and many others certainly disagree.

Is it MY fault that Flex ignoredthe 160 mtr spur problem for 2 years? Can I be blamed for the inadequate CW xmit performance that existed for years? How about the ALC Spike problem. Flex told me it was my AMPS fault, a year later Flex admitted the problem after a Flexer figured out how to fix PSDR. Was this my fault? Flex ignored the non performing ATU until I complained about it. Was this my fault? I could list more but you get the idea.

Yes, those things happened. Regardless, during that period of time many people were happy with the performance of the radios. These issues were not show-stoppers for most people. OTOH, Flex did and does listen. During the period of time where you were complaining vociferously, I had Flex respond to and correct complaints of my own. So it does depend on who you listen to. You would have us believe that Flex intentionally and systematically ignores user input and systematically attempts to hide deficiencies. I have direct experience in this area that that is NOT the case. So while you are loudly decrying Flex's faults, I feel that someone needs to point out that Flex has been responsive to its user base. You then loudly denounce the people who defend Flex against your unreasonable categorization.

Finally, I think it is important to note that Flex fixed all the problems you complained about. They are now non-issues. Yet you continue to scream about them over and over. I can't see how that is anything BUT an attempt to damage the reputation of Flex Radio Systems.

Here is what is my Fault. I told the truth and complained about the above problems on the Flex Reflectors. I got banned, I take full responsibility for this, I knew the Flex Reflectors were moderated/censored. I thought I could get away with telling the truth. I could not.

<sigh> And here is where we get into the "he said, he said," issue. You think you were categorically censored, i.e. "banned. Tim told me that he blocked a few specific inappropriate messages and did NOT censor all your messages. Arguing here won't make a difference because neither you nor I know precisely what happened. Only Tim knows that. Tim told me what he did. I am inclined to believe him. You are not. That's life.

Regardless, Gerald has handed down a policy so there will be no question about who is doing what in the future.

If the truth hurts Flex's Reputation, so be it. It is their fault, not mine.

Not entirely true. We know that you emphasize the things that make Flex look bad and deemphasize the things that make them look good. That is your fault, not theirs.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 05:33:15 AM »

We know that you emphasize the things that make Flex look bad and deemphasize the things that make them look good. That is your fault, not theirs.

YOU emphasize the things that make Flex look good and ignore the things that make them look bad.

Stan K9IUQ

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read Brian's response.  Pot calling the kettle black.   Grin

Which is more effective for customers?  Praising and gushing all over Flex like Brian does, or pointing out the Flex blemishes (to put it nicely)?  Praising them to no end does not get bugs and other issues fixed.  When enough customers criticize them when there are demonstrable bugs, eventually and from past experience, Flex is embarrassed into finally dealing with those bugs.  Unfortunately, that is after the official Flex and Flex-gushing supporters denials that there is a problem.  Or if the problem is easy to reproduce they give their standard response that the problem is only "minor".

Gene
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:40:08 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »

I can say without any reservation that the "raspy audio" problem on either RX or TX is not a problem to me and many, many other people. In the rare case where it occurs it is easily detected and corrected and once corrected stays corrected unless Microsoft causes the FireWire driver and registry to revert to broken state. Even then it is easily detected and corrected.

So, yeah, I agree that it is not a problem. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill, imparting "spin" to make this "problem" appear to be insurmountable. Silly you.

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 09:51:17 AM »

I can say without any reservation that the "raspy audio" problem on either RX or TX is not a problem to me and many, many other people. In the rare case where it occurs it is easily detected and corrected and once corrected stays corrected unless Microsoft causes the FireWire driver and registry to revert to broken state. Even then it is easily detected and corrected.

So, yeah, I agree that it is not a problem. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill, imparting "spin" to make this "problem" appear to be insurmountable. Silly you.

Roll Eyes "raspy audio" Ha Ha Ha, yeah right.  It is more than "raspy audio".  Here is a post I wrote a while back about a Ham I know who was caught by the "minor" problem of "raspy audio":

------------------------------
"A few months ago while using my Flex-5000a I was in a QSO with another Ham who was also using his Flex-5000a.  He was running approximately 800 watts out on 40meters.  While transmitting he opened the transmit equalizer dialog box.  He had been just a few minutes earlier extolling the virtues of the Flex-5000a and PowerSDR in general to a crowd of guys listening.  He wanted to demonstrate how nice it was to have a built-in transmit equalizer. In mid sentence either his PowerSDR or Windows locked up and all I heard was a stuttering "uhuhuhuh puh puh puh uh uh uhuhuhuhuh uh uh  puh puh uh uh ..." for like 30 seconds.  I seriously thought the poor guy was having a stroke or seizure!  No kidding.  On my spectrum display I could see that he suddenly was splattering at least 20 kHz up and down the band causing interference to all those around us with his 800 watts of "uhuhuhuh puh puh puh uh uh uhuhuhuhuh uh uh  puh puh uh uh ...".  After about 5 minutes, he came back on the air to explain what had happened.  He finally had to resort to pulling the power to stop the stuttering loop that the computer had gone into. 

It was the funniest and most pitiful thing that I have ever heard live on the air.  I can still hear and laugh about the half a minute of wide band, 800 watt "uhuhuhuh puh puh puh uh uh uhuhuhuhuh uh uh  puh puh uh uh ..." noises today.  I felt bad for him as he said it was one of the most embarrassing moments in his 40+ years of Hamming.
-------------------------------

Gene
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »

It was the funniest and most pitiful thing that I have ever heard live on the air.  I can still hear and laugh about the half a minute of wide band, 800 watt "uhuhuhuh puh puh puh uh uh uhuhuhuhuh uh uh  puh puh uh uh ..." noises today.  I felt bad for him as he said it was one of the most embarrassing moments in his 40+ years of Hamming.

I know Gene, you have posted this over and over and over. And you are still laughing at the guy because he provided fodder for you to bash Flex.

But even this is a surmountable problem. You fix it and you go on. Coax breaks? You fix it. RF "bite" from your mic? You fix it. SWR too high for the rig? You fix it. Rig improperly configured? You fix it. RF gets into your FireWire cable connection? You fix it.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:25:24 AM by WB6RQN » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »

It was the funniest and most pitiful thing that I have ever heard live on the air.  I can still hear and laugh about the half a minute of wide band, 800 watt "uhuhuhuh puh puh puh uh uh uhuhuhuhuh uh uh  puh puh uh uh ..." noises today.  I felt bad for him as he said it was one of the most embarrassing moments in his 40+ years of Hamming.

I know Gene, you have posted this over and over and over. And you are still laughing at the guy because he provided fodder for you to bash Flex.

But even this is a surmountable problem. You fix it and you go on. Coax breaks? You fix it. RF "bite" from your mic? You fix it. SWR too high for the rig? You fix it. Rig improperly configured? You fix it. RF gets into your FireWire cable connection? You fix it.

I agree with you Brian.   If you have a Flex radio you will be fixing a lot of things!  In fact, I bet you will spend more time fixing things than actually operating.

Even with your pro-Flex spin, the truth sneaks out every now and then!

Gene
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:58:51 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K3ROJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »

I don't know how to change the subject concerning the 5000A but would like to know how many people had the V/U unit installed?  It has been several month now and am unable to use the144 or 440 bands without the fan running full speed and only having perhaps 20 watts out.  There is no information concerning these problems and I do not want to make any waves, just some information on how to get it to function properly.
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »

If you have a Flex radio you will be fixing a lot of things!  In fact, I bet you will spend more time fixing things than actually operating.

Even with your pro-Flex spin, the truth sneaks out every now and then!

Gene

One of my Flex radios operates 100% of the time I am around the house running WSPR. They do not give me any problems, at least not any more than another other radio I use or have used.

And nothing I said in my message had anything to do with Flex, per se. I was speaking in generalities and you went off on Flex. What I don't understand is why you feel like you need to do this? In other threads you are obviously knowledgeable but you can't seem to let go of this hatred of Flex and people who like Flex radios. In this message you just sent you completely twisted my words in an attempt to make them mean something completely different from either what I said or what I intended. I am asking you point blank to stop doing this.

You throw the word "truth" around a lot. I suggest you start using the word "Pravda" instead. It literally means "truth" as well but it just seems to fit better in your case.

WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 03:34:01 PM »

I don't know how to change the subject concerning the 5000A but would like to know how many people had the V/U unit installed?  It has been several month now and am unable to use the144 or 440 bands without the fan running full speed and only having perhaps 20 watts out.  There is no information concerning these problems and I do not want to make any waves, just some information on how to get it to function properly.

That seems odd as there has been discussion of the fan on the Flex lists. It seems to me that the best place to ask about this is Flex itself.

As for power out, the VU5K should generate more than 20W but then that begs the question, how are you measuring it? A 20W average on a 60W PEP SSB signal seems quite reasonable but you should see 60W out key-down on CW. Not sure what the power out would be on FM but I would expect it to be in the 50W-60W range. AM should be about 15W for the carrier. So there could be many different values that would constitute "normal" for a rig with a 60W PEP PA.

As for the fan, I recall them saying that the fan always runs at 100% on TX for the VU5K module so that also sounds normal.

So, have you called or written to Flex to ask for assistance? If I thought my Flex radio was not performing normally it is where I would start.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »

Flex Radio "Technical Support by Telephone +1 (512) 535-4713 (menu option #2)''
http://www.flex-radio.com/Support.aspx?topic=service

I've found them (usually Dudley) to be very helpful on the three times I've phoned in two years . 
BTW, I don't have the VU5K module but my basic F5K is almost never turned off, never overheats.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: